Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Aero, the trigger has been pulled

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Perhaps they could send you the lining you requested and cover the cost of a local tailor to replace it?

A nice idea in theory but honestly, you would be charged a ridiculous amount here to replace a lining...it just cost me $100 to have 2 pants hammed and 1 jacket have its sleeves taken up 1 inch.....I'd guess replacing a lining would cost you about $300 or more here.

technovox

One Too Many
A nice idea in theory but honestly, you would be charged a ridiculous amount here to replace a lining...it just cost me $100 to have 2 pants hammed and 1 jacket have its sleeves taken up 1 inch.....I'd guess replacing a lining would cost you about $300 or more here.
You're right- it's probably not the best solution. It was just a thought...only based on the fact I had a lining replaced for $80 here in the US. But that was a while back, and I had to shop around. Honestly, I like the black cotton drill for a lining option- probably the best all round choice, especially for a warmer climate.

You're right- it's probably not the best solution. It was just a thought...only based on the fact I had a lining replaced for $80 here in the US. But that was a while back, and I had to shop around. Honestly, I like the black cotton drill for a lining option- probably the best all round choice, especially for a warmer climate.

Seconded. Tartans are fine and all but the cotton drill, black, red, brown or olive, is the best lining I've ever had on a jacket.

El Marro

Fonzie, That is an absolutely beautiful jacket and you look great in it! Having ordered one thing only to receive another, I know how disappointing that can be. On the other hand, your "mistake" looks and fits better than most of the jackets we see around here. I'd reach out to Aero regarding the mixup, but I'd also think seriously about keeping that jacket just the way it is!

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Awesome Scheen! I love the details and really can't recall a better fit. I guess I never thought about the interior kidney panel on my CR or Scheen, but I could see where it may make it a bit stiffer. Hope you enjoy it - or get what you really wanted...

barnabus

One Too Many
I'm going to add my 2 pence and say that i think the jacket looks excellent Fonzie, the fit is superb and the leather and details are terrific. I understand your dismay, but echo what others have said: you have a wonderful jacket there.

Fonzie

One Too Many
The jury has spoken and by popular consensus it looks like I'm keeping the jacket! [emoji4]

I'm not keen on spending more either and the choice of lining I had requested in the first place was olive drab cotton drill, so black cotton drill isn't a bad option either (it was one of the options I had in mind too but if I had chosen a tartan it would be a different story).
The more I look at it, the more I like the jacket.
The fit is spot on. It's trim but comfortable and easy to move in it, which with this leather is quite a feat, as it feels like you're in a space suit.
This is the first time I handle heavy stiff leather CXFQHH, it's amazing (and painful) to wear even thought I've only worn it a few minutes around the house.
It's gonna be interesting the break in process but I'm sure the results will be worth it.

The brown contrast stitching is subtle but adds to the overall look, I have brown tape on the antique brass zippers too and even though you can't hardly notice them, once the leather relaxes it will be a nice contrasting detail.
Only after wearing it a little bit and hanging it in a clothes hanger the jacket is taking shape and even the back feels more relaxed and the bat wings less noticeable.
In one word, I'm stoked. [emoji5]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fonzie

One Too Many
Fonzie, so sorry to hear you had complications but damn that's a nice looking jacket! What lining were you after? It looks like you got the black cotton drill?

Regarding the "excess" leather on the back near the shoulders, from what I understand that's the cut of the pattern, it's to allow the freedom to reach forward and grasp the handlebars of a motorcycle which the jacket is designed for.....its just part of it but I'd expect the "batwing" would lessen when the leather breaks in.

I'm assuming you will be up for postage back to Aero, can you claim duty back on returned goods? Maybe you can?

Supposedly we should only get charged duty on goods imported worth over $AUD1000, I'm curious what Aero declared for the value of the jacket, can you let us know please.

The jacket was £725 (AU$1,250) with shipping included but I also got a replacement G-1 collar for £30.
The customs tax threshold in Oz is AU$1,000-$10,000. Which means that you pay the same tax for an article/articles valued at $1,000 to something you buy valued $9,999, a very strange logic... apparently is also at random so you might get lucky and not pay anything or get stung with a 25% extra cost.
Gotta love those tax bureaucrats...

Fonzie

One Too Many
Great looking jacket, Fonzie! I'm about to put in my order for a black Vicenza Maxwell. The last detail I'm debating is whether to go with stitching other than black or not. Any chance you could post a closeup photo of your brown stitching?

9921c21c02582c0d26ec1717c7f49d16.jpg
f7b120116854ae6e6d23cb4477940b24.jpg
7937fee0805abbbe4af6f0410faf43a3.jpg
7af66e6dfa17c3186f95ce291084bf02.jpg

The brown stitching is subtle but I think makes the jacket stand out a bit more.
If you want more contrast on a black jacket, rust stitching is also quite nice. Fellow forum member SpeedCRX had a Sheene in that configuration and it looked incredible.

Plumbline

One Too Many
NICE .... as it wears in and the brown natural hide color shows through this will look fantastic with some lovely contrasting and complimentary colors.

I get what you say about the lining .. but TBH ... Black cotton drill hides a multiple of sins ( as does tartan) and is a great wearing option. I have had numerous jackets with mustard lining ( Californian / A-2's etc. ) and a few with red lining and they aren't anywhere near as forgiving with indigo from jeans on the waistband or " bleed through" from getting the jacket wet.

Wear it well ....

This is the first time I handle heavy stiff leather CXFQHH, it's amazing (and painful) to wear even thought I've only worn it a few minutes around the house.
It's gonna be interesting the break in process but I'm sure the results will be worth it.

And it will take an instant. My last FQHH jacket was made from the thickest HH I've ever seen from Aero and while I almost couldn't bend my arms when I got it, after two weeks it had already became softer than the Schott jacket that I have. It's still extremely heavy but it's very comfortable and just nice to wear.

Fonzie

One Too Many
I know what you mean, it's freaking heavy and stiff stuff but somehow it feels comfortable already.
I guess it's the workmanship of the craftsmen/craftswomen that makes the magic happen.
My jacket was made by Julie Leitch, I guess she knows a thing or two on how to build a jacket... [emoji1316]

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
For your next Sheene order a seal Vicenza HH with olive cotton drill lining throughout for a completely different look, feel, and drape. Maybe skip the corduroy lining unless you order a Highwaymen. BTW Julie made my last six Aero jackets.

Last edited:

Metal Dog

New in Town
Thanks for posting those pictures, Fonzie. I'm going to follow suit and go with the dark brown stitching on black. You also made me switch up my hardware choice! The antique brass is nicely understated with the black and brown. Great jacket! Glad you are keeping it.

ProteinNerd

Glad to hear you are happy with it and are keeping it (it really does look great).

Bring on the colder weather downunder!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo