Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

custom hat for a newbie?

gimmesomeshelte

Familiar Face
All-

I'm a newbie and I'm already thinking about buying a custom made hat. I have my reasons, but I'm not sure I've thought everything out. First, I would rather spend more and get what I want rather than save money and be dissatisfied. Second, I'm a long oval and you local neighborhood hat store (ha ha) doesn't carry them. Third, I've actually seen/touched an Optimo (Fino Fino in Menlo Park, CA), and there was definately something about that hat!

That being said, I do have some concerns. First, I'm not willing to visit Chicago (I live near SF), so I'm either going to have to make my purchase over the internet or wait for a trunk show. Second, I'm still a newbie. I've tried on a few hats, but I don't have the experience to know what looks good on me. (This is actually a major concern of mine. IMO, many forum members have purchased hats that looked great on their favorite movie star, but aren't appropriate for their build, face, coloring, etc.)

That being said, I would argue that I have the following options.

First, I could buy a number of less expensive hats (eBay, etc.) to get an idea what I like before I take the plunge.

Second, I could wait 'til one of the custom hatters comes through town.

Third, I could send one of the custom hatters a picture of myself and put my trust in them.

Forth, I could just go back to wearing my UCLA baseball cap.

Thanks for your comments.

Paul Vickerman

Mulceber

Practically Family
My advice would be find a good custom hatter, send them your mugshot, and ask them to make a hat that they think would look good on you.

Forth, I could just go back to wearing my UCLA baseball cap.

[Mulceber is heard muffling a scream] -Mulceber

gimmesomeshelte said:
All-

I've tried on a few hats, but I don't have the experience to know what looks good on me. (This is actually a major concern of mine. IMO, many forum members have purchased hats that looked great on their favorite movie star, but aren't appropriate for their build, face, coloring, etc.) That being said, I would argue that I have the following options. I could buy a number of less expensive hats (eBay, etc.) to get an idea what I like before I take the plunge. I could send one of the custom hatters a picture of myself and put my trust in them. Paul Vickerman
First go here:
http://www.millerhats.com/hatcare_index/hatfaces.html

Second find a couple of shops most local and try on some hats before you do any selecting or buying or anything. You need an understanding of what looks right to you, for you, on you, before really making any selection.

Most of all, it should be a joyous occassion not drudgery.

Happy hunting!

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
If you're ready...

If you really are prepared to go custom to get THE hat you want, I would say skip Miller Hats (which I like), and contact Art Fawcett or Fedora (Steve Delk) from this forum. They'll make a hat to order, long oval, that will last. Both would know enough about hats to give you advice on matching your face shape to a hat, and both can do their work by mail, e-mail, and phone. I predict that I won't be the only one to point you down this road.

Art's e-mail; stone488@gotsky.com
I'd give you Steve's, but my email program is messing with me all of a sudden! :rage:

NB

Aerol

A-List Customer
Optimo

Why not give Graham at Optimo a call? I think he does mail-order business, too. (773)238-2999.

He has a wide variety of shapes, and will be able to fit your face and body best.

I can vouch for Art's work. It's first-rate all the way--the materials, the workmanship, the communications with the customer. I'd much sooner pay his quite reasonable price for one hat than spend the same or more on two new, off-the-shelf Stetsons or Biltmores at the local retailer.
I've heard good things about Optimo, but they missed their chance to get my business. I sent them an email asking after one of their $450 lids (that's $175 more than Art charged me, by the way), but THEY NEVER GOT BACK TO ME. I very well may have ordered the model they call the 4 x 4, because it looks very much like a Stetson Open Road (my favorite style) and would make a nice addition to my collection, but I am averse to begging a vendor to take my hard-earned money. If a business doesn't respond to incoming emails, they shouldn't have email at all, unless they take some peculiar pleasure in wasting a would-be customer's time.

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
I can attest to Steve Delk/Fedora's work since I have a couple of hats he's made for me. (I don't have any work from Art, yet.) Steve's hats are 100% pure beaver felt. No blends, just beaver. He's great to talk to and stands behind his work 1000% (Yes, I put that extra 0 in there.) If you have a problem with your hat, he will make it right. What's more, his prices are WAY below that of an Optimo, and you're guaranteed it'll be 100% beaver. (I've seen a couple Optimos, but couldn't tell you if they were pure beaver or not.) Whereas Optimo uses vintage machinery to help make the tons of hats they make, Steve stitches EVERYTHING solely by hand. If you want a true handmade hat, Steve will do it for you. I always get compliments when I'm wearing one of my Adventurebilts and have even been asked for contact information by passers by. You can't go wrong with Steve.

That said, I've seen pictures of some incredible work from Art, too. Whereas Steve does not do bound brims, Art does, I believe. Art also blocks panamas. In fact, when my hat bodies come in, I plan to send them his way.

I agree that you should go to a local hat store and try on a bunch of styles to figure out what you like and what looks good on you. Once you're ready to jump in, the fine folks here will be more than happy to help you on your way! Good luck!;)

bink

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
Welcome to the Lounge!! You might want to visit a hat shop here in the Bay Area first. Paul's Hat Works on Geary Blvd has some great custom made beaver hats. Problem is, they run around $1400!!!! But you could see the style you like and then contact Art Fawcett or Steve Delk and get the same hat for under $300. I'm sure there are other hat shops closer to you in San Carlos if you don't want to make a trip to San Franciso...KC

MattC

A-List Customer
Do it throughly

I've had hats custom made by both Art Fawcett and Graham Thompson at Optimo. They are both outstanding, and they are both as honest as the day is long and as helpful as you could hope for.

I would go to the Miller hats link. It gives some general advice about face shape etc. Its not a bible; what you like is what counts.

Then go to Cable Car Clothiers in downtown SF. They have a very wide selection of ready made hats. Try a bunch on and get a sense of what you like. I would hesitate to buy from them even if I found a hat I liked, because they are at the high end--the very high end--on prices. If you like a hat you see there in quality as well, you can probably get it more cheaply on the web. But I'd go the next step.

Then contact either Art or Graham or both (Graham is a phone guy more than an email guy). Talk to them. Decide who you like. There are a few things Graham can do that Art isn't doing yet (Art can do raw edges and bound edges, but he doesn't do welted edges yet; Graham does). But Art's work is top drawer as is Graham's.

Then have a blast. As John said, this should all be fun.

gimmesomeshelte

Familiar Face
All-

I appreciate everyone's comments.

I'm going to start by visiting the Hat Guys in Oakland this weekend. I hear that they have a very wide selection. Heck, I might actually buy a couple :) Is there anyone over there I should ask for?

Paul Vickerman

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Hey Paul, welcome! And while you're searching for that right custom hat, want me to send you a WSU Cougar baseball cap so you won't have to wear that ugly UCLA one again?

(Couldn't resist.):p

farmerbaker

New in Town
I recommend contacting Graham at Optimo. I own several of his hats and have always been pleased with the quality. Email him a picture and then speak with him by phone. He can help you decide what style is right for you.

jeboat

One of the Regulars
Newbie hat

I agree with the advice given here, i.e. definitely visit a hat store/men's clothier and try on some hats. You'll never know what looks good on you if you don't do this first.

Secondly get in touch with any of the three hatters already mentioned. They are all first class hatters and real gentlemen. You can expect to pay ftrom $250.00 to whatever you want to spend for a custom hat. That's the bad news, the good news is you will get a hat you can be proud of and it will last you a lifetime. It will fit you perfectly, be the exact color you want with the correct ribbon and reflect your personality.

The other bad news is you will NEVER be satisfied with an off-the-shelf hat again. BTW I have 4 hats made by Fedora and one made by Art Fawcett, I absolutely love these hats!!!

jeboat:) :) :)

gimmesomeshelte

Familiar Face
All-

Well, I bought my first fedora today. Drove to Hat Guys in Oakland, CA. Very nice people, and quite busy given the time of day.

I purchased a Dobbs Jet (4 in. crown, 1 7/8 brim.) I liked the feel of the Biltmore's more, but the cut of the Jet won out.

The only disappointing part of my trip is that I never had that 'wow' feeling (I take that back - they let my try on a $1000 Panama hat. That was one sweet hat!)

SHARPETOYS - I've been looking at that Optimo link for some time. I really love the color/cut of the Fedora #2, but I think I should learn a little more about hats before I spend the big bucks on an Optimo.

Paul-

louis

New in Town
One newbie to another

I'd have ended up with a bad hat if not for the advice I got on this forum. For whatever reason, I'd decided I needed a Montecristi. Had to have it, so I started searching the net like a chicken with his head cut off. It was impossible to tell what to buy untill logging on to "The Fedora Lounge." Well, a guy can't buy better advice than the stuff he gets here. I'm dropping pretty good money on a hat now, but I'm confident about the outcome. My problem was this: I didn't know much about hats, but I'm not a starter hat kind of guy. Scary combo, ya know. I believe I was on my way to getting burned, but these guys jumped in--no charge--and set me straight. Sounds like you're ready for a good hat. So was I; custom ended up being the only route that made sense. louis

You've taken the right approach, louis. One good hat is easily worth 10 lesser ones. (This I know through my own sad experience.) This is not to say that you have to shell out a lot of dough. Good deals on vintage lids are still to be had, provided you are patient and diligent. But really, the other posters are absolutley right: It's hard to go wrong with a new custom lid from a reputable hatter. Yeah, it might cost you two or three or four times as much as a new, off-the-shelf hat at a regular retail shop, but you'll end up with something you'll never tire of wearing, and it will last longer than you will, provided you don't subject it to outright abuse. Viewed in that light, it's a bargain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy