Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom M422A/G1?

BennyAce

New in Town
Hi -

Years ago I lost my Dad's beautiful WWII Navy flight jacket and now I've gotten it into my head to recreate it. I'm acquiring replica squadron patches and name tag, but I don't really care about tiny authenticity details -- I'd like a quality jacket that looks like my dad's M422A, but is a bit lighter and trimmer. (I live in Southern California so winter warmth isn't an issue).

Is US Authentic (with their custom option) a good choice for this? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

thor

Call Me a Cab
Hi -

Years ago I lost my Dad's beautiful WWII Navy flight jacket and now I've gotten it into my head to recreate it. I'm acquiring replica squadron patches and name tag, but I don't really care about tiny authenticity details -- I'd like a quality jacket that looks like my dad's M422A, but is a bit lighter and trimmer. (I live in Southern California so winter warmth isn't an issue).

Is US Authentic (with their custom option) a good choice for this? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Hello,

Sorry to hear about the loss of your Dad's M-422a! Very commendable of you to replicate it.
Try Gibson&Barnes; they make a quality replica M-422a and will also do the navy aviator name tag for you.
If you want a jacket that looks more vintage (not brand new) check out athe Cockpit's vintage G-1.
Good luck!

Current thread about US Authentic;

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?69919-us-authentic-flying-tiger-jacket-lousy-quality

The best quality repro G1/A2 manufacturer out there is probably John Chapman (Good Wear Leather);

http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/index.html

Hide, mouton collar, design spot on.
First class workmanship.
Cost and wait time may be a deterrent.

http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/gwmonarchm422_images2.html

(This is one of his M422 design. He also has done G1's.)

For custom made G1, not many other's I'd recommend.
Take a look at Eastman Leather Co and Gibson and Barnes. They charge extra for their "custom made" items...and they are non-returnable if the fit doesn't work out.

For the patches......if leather, I highly recommend jbmilart

http://www.jbmilart.com/
http://www.jbmilart.com/layered-patches.html

Good luck!
If embroidered...not sure. Eastman Leather Company has a selection of embroidered patches that looked pretty good.

Last edited:

BennyAce

New in Town
I don't see any custom options at Gibson & Barnes. At Eastman, there is a "Time Worn" option which is really appealing to me, but no other options (leather choice, tall sizes, dual entry pockets) like US Authentic offers.

To be clear, I don't want the most authentic replica - I want a jacket I can wear in Los Angeles, one that doesn't weigh a ton, and that isn't going to take forever to break in. My dad (when he was alive) once bought a very expensive replacement jacket, but it was so heavy and stiff he never wore it.

thor

Call Me a Cab
I don't see any custom options at Gibson & Barnes. At Eastman, there is a "Time Worn" option which is really appealing to me, but no other options (leather choice, tall sizes, dual entry pockets) like US Authentic offers.

To be clear, I don't want the most authentic replica - I want a jacket I can wear in Los Angeles, one that doesn't weigh a ton, and that isn't going to take forever to break in. My dad (when he was alive) once bought a very expensive replacement jacket, but it was so heavy and stiff he never wore it.

Call G&B on the phone and they will discuss your custom desires. If you want side pockets just order their Civil G-1. They do carry tall and short sizes.

The Cockpit vintage G-1 looks just like a WW2 original jacket; washed goatskin with a genuine mouton collar and NO break-in required.

A G1 made with good quality goat skin won't take long at all to "break in". The leather should be soft and flexible right out of the box.
I own two Good Wear M422's/G1's, and their leather is as close to a 60 + year old WW2 M422/G1 as you can get.

I own a G&B "Indy" jacket (forget what they call it...."Exlorer's Jacket"?) that is not quite as soft, but not bad.

Re; custom ELC's and G&B's, they both will do custom work to one extent or another. You just need to contact them and tell them what you are looking for.
(I have no personal experience with ELC's G1'/s M422's.....have come across a review or two that mentioned the hide on their jackets was stiff. May very well have changed by now. Depends on the batch of hide they have on hand/what the manufacturer selects when shopping for hides.)

pauleway

Practically Family
I second the Cockpit Vintage G-1/M422a. Great jacket-soft goatskin, nice collar etc. Order one size up normal, they run a little small!

pauleway

Practically Family
Is Cockpit using non-synthetic "Vintage" mouton on their G1? That's pretty good if they are.
I don't know what you mean by "Vintage". It is not truely old but it is real mouton and looks vintage. It is also smaller sized like the originals were!

kojax

Practically Family
i have the cockpit usa g1- vintage goatskin real nice jacket . i wear that jacket alot i like the small soft collar on it.

I don't know what you mean by "Vintage". It is not truely old but it is real mouton and looks vintage. It is also smaller sized like the originals were!

Going with convention.
Using the definition of "vintage" as;

": of the best and most characteristic —used with a proper noun <vintage Shaw: a wise and winning comedy — Time>"

Or;
"Characterized by excellence, maturity, and enduring appeal; classic."

The term that seems to be used on these forums and by manufacturers for natural mouton that matches the color and texture of that used by the manufacturers of M422's/G1's seems to be "Vintage Mouton".

Here kojax uses the term again. Doubtful the hide is actually from the 1940's/1950's.
i have the cockpit usa g1- vintage goatskin real nice jacket . i wear that jacket alot i like the small soft collar on it.

If you want to you can go with "very nice, thick, soft dark brown to dark golden colored mouton that matches that was used by the original manufacturers of M422's/ G1's up to the time they switched to synthetic mouton".
Just so much easier to type "Vintage". ;)

I've seen what is reported to be "Real Mouton" used by some repro M422/G1 makers that has color/texture that I've never seen on an authentic M422/ G1. Looks odd.

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I've heard very good things about that Cockpit G-1 everyone talks about
Another company to look into is Bill Kelso Mfg.
http://www.billkelsomfg.com/site/#!gordonferguson
They give you a choice of mouton collar colors, and they can add/subtract length.
I have one of their M-422s and it is superb. I am trying to sell it because I prefer the look of an A-2,
but I find myself not wanting to separate with it!
A bit more than a Cockpit/G&B but definitely look into it.

I too have a BK M422.
Based on reviews I had read here and over at the VLJ forum, I ordered it last summer, received it late autumn.
Was rather disappointed in the quality of the jacket.
The leather is very stiff, the cut way too large both in the body and arm length and the body fit compared to my vintage WW2 M422's and my Good Wear M422 and G1's
Gave the jacket to my son...who is 6 inches taller than me.
Never see him wearing it.

If I were looking for another good repro M422/ G1, I'd recommend looking elsewhere. You can do much better.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou