Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Made Hat Conformers

Hey everyone,

I joined the Fedora Lounge forums to promote my new conformer that I've been working on for a few months now. I've seen the newer 3D printed and plastic conformers that have been floating around, but wanted to bring back the beautiful wood aesthetic that we've all seen in the antique designs. I started this project after the conformer my wife owned was slowly falling apart due to it being close to 140 years old and didn't want her to have the eyesore of a plastic conformer amongst all of her beautiful hardwood tools. If anyone out there is interested I am now selling this design of conformer/conformateur.
PXL_20210511_170607549_3.jpg
PXL_20210511_170707525_2.jpg

Hey everyone,

I joined the Fedora Lounge forums to promote my new conformer that I've been working on for a few months now. I've seen the newer 3D printed and plastic conformers that have been floating around, but wanted to bring back the beautiful wood aesthetic that we've all seen in the antique designs. I started this project after the conformer my wife owned was slowly falling apart due to it being close to 140 years old and didn't want her to have the eyesore of a plastic conformer amongst all of her beautiful hardwood tools. If anyone out there is interested I am now selling this design of conformer/conformateur. View attachment 374687 View attachment 374688
That piece is beautiful.....a work of art. I would love to have one just to have it in my shop but it would be a show piece not a working piece. My clients are spread throughout N America and I have made but a dozen hats for folks who show up in person at my atelier. I do not have a retail store front and minimal local presence so this piece would not help me in my work. I wish it would because it would be wonderful to own one.

By the way my wife and I love New Mexico....northern edge for the Pueblan ruins and the southern edge for Las Cruces.

That piece is beautiful.....a work of art. I would love to have one just to have it in my shop but it would be a show piece not a working piece. My clients are spread throughout N America and I have made but a dozen hats for folks who show up in person at my atelier. I do not have a retail store front and minimal local presence so this piece would not help me in my work. I wish it would because it would be wonderful to own one.

By the way my wife and I love New Mexico....northern edge for the Pueblan ruins and the southern edge for Las Cruces.

Thanks you so much for the kind words! It was a true labor of love getting it into a working tool. It's great to hear that you're able to sustain your passion for hat making without too much in person contact. Especially these days.

Beautiful! How do you transfer the info to the vermillion? Do you just trace the interior of the conformateur and then somehow make a custom band block?
Close. You fasten the knobs tight while it's on the customers head, remove the conformer, trace the captured head shape on a piece of paper, then center the formillion in the center of the tracing and extend the pegs to the traced lines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner