Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom made vintage repros...

Drappa

One Too Many
Hi ladies!
I've had a dress made by 'heart my closet' on etsy... my first custom made dress and my first experience of using etsy! sadly I have to say I was really disappointed... I thought I was buying a dress from a dressmaker in the US, but the dress came posted from vietnam, and it just feels really cheaply made and the design doesn't really work with the fabric I chose, because it obviously needed a sturdier fabric to hold its shape, so it's just awful, unflattering and unwearable... :( Not sure what to do about it yet.. I haven't contacted her about it. What's your experiences when you're unhappy with a custom made item? Can you complain and ask for a refund, or do you just cut your losses.... ? not sure what my rights are in this case!
has anyone else bought anything from 'heart my closet'??
Oh no, sorry to hear that. I saved up for a while last year and was so excited to have a dress made by the same seller, but on Etsy. I really wanted the Dior dress Dita was pictured in and had a lot of tweed that I wanted to send her to use, but she said that wasn't possible and I had to pick some of the fabric they offered. I was ready to order, but then saw that she had made the exact dress I wanted for someone else and the photos of it.
It didn't even look like the same dress, it looked entirely different. Even my husband laughed when he saw it, so I never ordered it and was really disappointed.
Dita:
il_570xN.183065377.jpg

Reproduction:
il_570xN.183065379.jpg

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
Drappa, I also love that dress and would love to have a copy! I'm glad you didn't order it, because my experience was dreadful... I didn't really know what to do, so I've just kept the dress and put it at the back of my wardrobe.. :D never again! It's so ugly I don't even think I can sell it, no one is going to pay money for it! it really is that bad.

Kate O Potato, I'll let you know what it's like! I should have it this week! It's taken ages because I realised I couldn't afford it, but she was really nice about it and let me pay a £10 deposit on the fabric and then pay the rest a month later! Up until now the experience with her has been great, she's sent me several fabric swatches for different choices, including ones that aren't listed on her website based on what I wanted. She did underestimate how much fabric she had of the type I chose though, so when it came to paying the full amount she had run out! But she sourced more that was almost identical so it was fine in the end. Can't wait to try it on! I'll keep you posted :)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
0bf969283153.jpg

This is from etsy seller dixibilly. She knits in her spare time. I got this fairly quickly but my second order is taking ahwile. She is really sweet and doesn't charge until she finishes. I will post a picture of the other sweater when I get it. It's a card from a 40's pattern in emerald green.

This is adorable! I tried to look up the seller but couldn't find her :( Do you have a link?

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
This is from TopRunway on ebay. I had her customize the Viva dress. It came out a tad big & a little lover cut than I wanted but I'm pretty happy with it over all & I know what to change in the measurements for next time.

IMAG0185-1.jpg
I have this dress. I like your version much better and the color is lovely on you.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Hi ladies!
I've had a dress made by 'heart my closet' on etsy... my first custom made dress and my first experience of using etsy! sadly I have to say I was really disappointed... I thought I was buying a dress from a dressmaker in the US, but the dress came posted from vietnam, and it just feels really cheaply made and the design doesn't really work with the fabric I chose, because it obviously needed a sturdier fabric to hold its shape, so it's just awful, unflattering and unwearable... :( Not sure what to do about it yet.. I haven't contacted her about it. What's your experiences when you're unhappy with a custom made item? Can you complain and ask for a refund, or do you just cut your losses.... ? not sure what my rights are in this case!
has anyone else bought anything from 'heart my closet'??

however, I'm soon having a prom dress made by a UK seamstress (www.digforvictoryclothing.com), so I'll let you guys know what it's like when I get it.. but I do have high hopes!

What a miserable experience. I looked at HeartMyCloset and there's no indication where in the world they are located, other than a small notation that they take US Dollars. Also noticed the seller has over 875 sales, but only 475 feedbacks (one of which is as a buyer). Etsy is usually such a good community, that I think you'd be well justified in making your experience known to the seller and to Etsy.

Hope your prom dress is everything you hoped for and that you knock some socks off in it when you walk into the room!

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Oh no, sorry to hear that. I saved up for a while last year and was so excited to have a dress made by the same seller, but on Etsy. I really wanted the Dior dress Dita was pictured in and had a lot of tweed that I wanted to send her to use, but she said that wasn't possible and I had to pick some of the fabric they offered. I was ready to order, but then saw that she had made the exact dress I wanted for someone else and the photos of it.
It didn't even look like the same dress, it looked entirely different. Even my husband laughed when he saw it, so I never ordered it and was really disappointed.

That's the problem I have when I think about the etsy custom repros - I am a bit picky about fabric and a lot of them seem to use a lot of polyester and acrylic.

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
thanks Lila Powers! Yeah I should have contacted the seller straight away and said I wasn't happy, but I just felt so terrible about it at the time.. it was meant to be my wedding dress and I couldn't afford another one and I just buried my head in the sand and didn't want to deal with it! Now it's been a few months, so I'm not sure if it's too late... but I might send them a message and see how I get on.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
thanks Lila Powers! Yeah I should have contacted the seller straight away and said I wasn't happy, but I just felt so terrible about it at the time.. it was meant to be my wedding dress and I couldn't afford another one and I just buried my head in the sand and didn't want to deal with it! Now it's been a few months, so I'm not sure if it's too late... but I might send them a message and see how I get on.
Lina Sofia you really need to contact that seller they owe you a refund!!! That is totally ridiculous. Let them know the quality was poor and see if they will make amends if not then you should let etsy know about it.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family

Oh if you do get a refund you may wish to try whirling turban for a custom made repro wedding dress she has more now then when I got mine and some are really spectacular. I have bought 3 of her dresses and two tops and the quality is great and on the wedding dresses she lines them with silk.

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
L.O.L girl, yeah you're right. I will send them a message! Yeah I've had a look at the Whirling Turban dresses, they're gorgeous!! I just wish I could afford one... however, I've actually found my dress now! It's vintage and I love it :)

I know Greetz from Tiz has been mentioned before, but I just got my sweater from her, and I love it.
4-7.jpg

I also got my Dig For Victory dress and it's also lovely! The only issue is that I think the bodice is a bit short, but then again I asked her to make a standard size and I am rather long-waisted. It's still nice on though.
I also got a Vivien of Holloway dress from their sale and I love that too! It has a really flattering fit.

Last edited:

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
If anyone is curious about Get Cutie, I'll let you know what I thought when I popped into their shop in Brighton yesterday! The prints are adorable.

I bought their "bow skirt" in the "bluebird" print (not the print in this picture, but it's on the website)
item-Bow%20Skirt-23-66-1.pjpeg

The cotton fabrics feel like a really good sturdy quality and their garments look well made and like they'll wear and keep well, although they're certainly not cheap, but in my opinion the great fabric prints add something to the value!
One thing to bear in mind though is that this skirt runs quite small over the hips, but the waists are average modern sized. So, in my case, a size up really didn't look right because it bagged around the waist and strained at the hips, so instead I went down a size and wear it higher up at the waist than probably intended! It sits snugly at my natural waist and flares out from the hips and length-wise hits me at the knee. However, they way it's really intended to sit is lower down, snugly around the hips and the length hitting at mid-calf :)
All their sizing charts are on their website.

Last edited:

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
I just received my 1940s suit from Top Runway. Not v happy with it to be honest....Not a great fit, fabrics cheap ( I asked that it had no shine at all and it does )

The kick pleats are in the wrong place and the revers aren't wide enough.

Bit miffed really. It's going to need some serious re-hashing.

:-(

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer

I also got my Dig For Victory dress and it's also lovely! The only issue is that I think the bodice is a bit short, but then again I asked her to make a standard size and I am rather long-waisted. It's still nice on though.

Mine is a little short on the bust and although it's a 27/28 waist and I have a 27" waist, it's still very snug around the middle. I don't know if I ate too much birthday cake this weekend, though... I'll try it again after a jog or two ;)

Alice~

One of the Regulars
Any new experiences with Cynthia/HeartMyCloset/TopRunway?

I've just ordered the swing skirt. Looking forward to it as I find it hard to find skirts that fit well, but slightly concerned about the fabric after reading this thread! I'm hoping I'll get some fabric swatches so I can consider a dress at some point. I'll post photos once it arrives. :)

Alice~

One of the Regulars
I received my skirt yesterday, 20 days after payment. It looks very pretty and fits beautifully, but I am not very happy with the quality. There are more than a few loose threads and it looks very rushed. I picked "dark brown wool blend" and the fabric was just okay. It lets light through very easily and would require a slip on a sunny day, so I was pleased to find that the skirt was lined, I didn't expect that.

The fit, however, is superb. I asked for a high waist and a below-knee length. The measurements are exactly as I stated. I love the way it looks but I'm very uncertain if it's worth the money. I could buy a well made skirt with good quality fabric for the same price, but I would probably have to sacrifice the good fit of this one. My measurements are far from "standard" sizing and it really is a nightmare to find a ready made skirt that fits (and matches my need for a high waist and low hemline)!

I will add some photos of the skirt soon. For now, I have taken some photos of the fabric swatches I was sent. The photos on a previous page aren't available, hopefully these will be useful to somebody.

Dress fabrics with flash
Dress fabrics with no flash
Suit fabrics with flash
Suit fabrics with no flash

The dress fabrics are very thin, the suit fabrics are only a tiny bit thicker. I do not feel they would work well with some of the suit styles.

I was hoping to order a dress after receiving my skirt, but now I'm aware of the quality and the type of fabric the dress would be made of I'm having a lot of second thoughts. Yet, the vast majority of the feedback on the eBay and Etsy pages is so positive! I'm wondering if I'm just very fussy. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails