Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Mess Dress Jacket

MolonLabe416

New in Town
I do not like the issue white Mess Dress (USCG) jacket. I want to have one made to replace the poly-model from the Exchange.

Can anyone recommend a tailor in the LAX metro area, preferable nearer Glendale or South Pasadena?

Thanks.

DocMustang

One of the Regulars
Finding a tailor should be no problem, the real difficulty will be finding a fabric that will do. The Mess Jacket is made of a polyester gaberdine, also known as CNT or Cetified Navy Twill. I have searched for a natural fiber substitute that would retain the color of CNT. Perhaps the best bet would be a silk twill like this fabric
cotton twill or even wool would likely lack the proper luster and sheen of CNT.
one additional difficulty would be that Navy uniform regulations only allow for white uniforms to be made from polyester. There are no other alternatives. Coast guard regulations do not appear to go into that level of detail. That does not mean that such a regulation does not exist.

If you simply want a uniform of superior cut and quality try here:
dinner dress white jacket

ltedge

New in Town
I had a complete set of Navy Mess dress (Blue and White) custom made in Hong Kong about 8 years ago. Half the price and twice as good. A decent tailor should be able to get the right material. The Marlow White is also a great alternative. Good luck.

Story

I'll Lock Up
MolonLabe416 said:
I do not like the issue white Mess Dress (USCG) jacket. I want to have one made to replace the poly-model from the Exchange.
Can anyone recommend a tailor in the LAX metro area, preferable nearer Glendale or South Pasadena?
Thanks.

Ages ago, I picked up an Armor/Cav branched Mess Dress jacket (made in Hong Kong, very nicely done) at the Fort Knox Thrift Store.

Most large Army & Air Bases I've been on have some form of that store, run by some post charity organization - does Groton have one?

MolonLabe416

New in Town
Thanks for the input.

USCG regs are not so strict as the USN.

I may go with the Marlowe for ease, but will take a look locally as well. If I end up custom, I'll post pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL