Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Simmons-Bilt Cross Zip fit- seeking opinions

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
If kenneth cole can make jackets to a soec consistently, surely a boutique company charging over twice as much can reasonably reproduce something within an acceptable tolerance. And if not, they should be overly accommodating and gracious with their return/exhange policy.

Why does the consumer have to take on the role of doing final measurements? When the jacket is produced, don't they check the jacket before ur leaves? Shouldn't they measure to ensure its within spec before shipping?

I get buying something, trying it on, and then figuring it out it doesn't fit, maybe the material doesn't suit you, the style and fit doesn't suit you, but the measurements are correct. For instance, if you're buying a more fitted style in a heavier hide, I get that when you try it on it'll feel smaller despite it being within spec.

It's pretty well documented that some of these makers will ship well out of spec jackets, the difference here is that SB didn't do the right thing.

I often said all good businesses make mistakes, the best businesses know how to make it right.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
What a farce. Certainly is an advertisement to avoid SB at all costs. Take that refund and go immediately to Greg would be my advice.

nattevagten

A-List Customer
I think SB adjusted their cross zip pattern recently. For instance, my size 38 came with a 22" chest and a 20" bottom hem, which seems like a very generous fit to me. I also have a Schott 613 in size 38 and the difference is vast (the Schott has a 21" chest and 19" waist, I think).

SB's cross zip jackets used to be quite snug-fitting and true to size. See this thread, for example:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/sb-biker-jacket-pics-a-plenty.90008/

Quite a shame, really, if they altered the pattern. Aero's Ridley might be a better option at this point if one's looking for a cross zip.

Last edited:
I think SB adjusted their cross zip pattern recently. For instance, my size 38 came with a 22" chest and a 20" bottom hem, which seems like a very generous fit to me. I also have a Schott 613 in size 38 and the difference is simply crazy (the Schott has a 21" chest and 19" waist, I think).

SB's cross zip jackets used to be quite snug-fitting and true to size. See this thread, for example:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/sb-biker-jacket-pics-a-plenty.90008/

Quite a shame, really, if they altered the pattern. Aero's Ridley might be a better option at this point if one's looking for a cross zip.
You are correct. I noticed this same thing with a Halfbelt I bought in a size 44”. It was actually closer to a 48”. Seems they’ve flipped from under sizing per the tag to over sizing. If you bought an SB under the Alexander label or even from a few years ago under the SB label, the sizing is completely different now.

Edward

Bartender
Given that this is basically a tweaked Bootlegger, it should not fit like this. A boxy jacket, perhaps, but not one that looks as though you could hide a bowling ball under it. Also, it's a bloody mail order business, they're first and only answer to this sort of problem should be "This patently doesn't fit, send it back, we'll work something out."

The original Aero Bootlegger is an Aero 50s Halfbelt pattern under the hood, weith a different front. In between a Standard Highweayman and a 30s Halfbelt. This makes a standard Highwayman look form fitting...

You are correct. I noticed this same thing with a Halfbelt I bought in a size 44”. It was actually closer to a 48”. Seems they’ve flipped from under sizing per the tag to over sizing. If you bought an SB under the Alexander label or even from a few years ago under the SB label, the sizing is completely different now.

The original AL sizing scheme had the look of having the sizes switched in a poor effort to disguise the source of the pattern. Perhaps they changed it to try and draw a line under the past.

There's also the possibility this is a pattern-grading problem; could have gotten out the door if nobody's ordered this model in that size before.

Kenan

A-List Customer
This is quite funny. I think I was the 2nd owner of that jacket. After you sent it back it ended up in their outlet. I didn’t realise that it was that exact jacket before now. It did look huge on you. I’ve since sold the jacket and made a profit on it, but it was a great jacket. This is how it fit me:

F507221F-846B-4490-A5E2-DC49EDE2D9D2.jpeg

05AE1939-E52F-465B-A499-FF2699BD6B8F.jpeg
D4702035-1F55-4CBD-83CF-8C007463FC3F.jpeg

Pandemic

One Too Many
This is quite funny. I think I was the 2nd owner of that jacket. After you sent it back it ended up in their outlet. I didn’t realise that it was that exact jacket before now. It did look huge on you. I’ve since sold the jacket and made a profit on it, but it was a great jacket. This is how it fit me:

View attachment 450636

View attachment 450637 View attachment 450638

It was a nice jacket and looks much better on you. I’m guessing you aren’t a slim size 38 though.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran