Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Wooden Hat Boxes

ShortAndCashed

One of the Regulars
Having some background in woodworking, I'm thinking of building some wooden hat boxes, possibly to sell, if they turn out like I want them to. I'm thinking of using basically a hat stretcher as the support, adjustable from the inside. Any suggestions as to features to add or a price if the craftsmanship is nice/very nice? I really would like basically a piece of furniture to protect my hats, I don't know if anyone else would.

MikePotts

Practically Family
I'm not getting a mental picture from your description S&C. I have been thinking about building some sort of modular rack that can be expanded upon when more hats (inevitably) arrive, kinda like those wine racks made from dowels &
1x1 whitewood.

MP

ShortAndCashed

One of the Regulars
I'm talking basically a hinged wooden box with some type of suspension device so that the hat won't have to rest on either the crown or brim. The suspension device will probably resemble a stretcher in that it will have two curved blocks on a screw, so that they can be adjusted for every hat.

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
I'm talking basically a hinged wooden box with some type of suspension device so that the hat won't have to rest on either the crown or brim. The suspension device will probably resemble a stretcher in that it will have two curved blocks on a screw, so that they can be adjusted for every hat.

Did one of these ever get made?

KarlK

New in Town
Just picked up a 1960 museum pamphlet ( more of a book) about Hat Box history, many many pictured. Shelburn Museum Publication

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
KarlK, that sounds like a very interesting book. If you get a chance, I'm sure people would love to see some of the pictures posted on this thread.

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
An antique wood cheese box, with suitable liner and support, would serve the same purpose.

Regards,
J T
Of said cheese boxes, what are the traditional dimensions? As an individual with larger western hats, I would need a such a box to have sufficient space for wider brimmed hat.

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
Cheese boxes came in many different sizes. I have recently seen one 16" diameter X 7 " high.

I have done some searching and come across http://www.dufeckwood.com/industrial_cheeseboxes.php . I plan to call this company tomorrow and talk with them about pricing a box that would fit my hats.
Thank you for the information.

I have also found a listing of Western Hat Boxes by Mick on Facebook. The last post on the page was in 2014 though. I am going to call the number listed and see if the company is still in business.

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
I called the number for Western Hat Boxes by Mick and found out that Mick is still in business. I spoke with Mick for a few minutes; we discussed how I came across his number, how he began doing such work, and the cost of the item along with shipping.
I shared with Mick that a few people on FL may like his product and I encouraged him to check out FL.
Attached is the web address to the Facebook page I came across. It does have some picture.
https://www.facebook.com/WesternHatBoxes

Mick even mentioned making hat boxes with hinges in place of lids that slide on. :)
If I remember correctly the cost is about $50 for the box and shipping would be based on the destination.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters