Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cute Vintage-y Shoes

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
I found the most adorable maryjanes by Lifestride at a local shoe store. They are perfect--only a 2-inch heel--but the right one is too tight over my big toe. That's true of all my shoes, and I have been able to stretch my vinyl ones with the water/freezer trick. It works better than a shoe stretcher. But those are unlined. The maryjanes have a fabric lining. Does anyone know if a shoe like that can be stretched? They are synthetic with what I think is a nylon knit lining. I really want them, but not if I can't wear them!

St. Louis

Practically Family
I just sent away for a pair of Born Naleighs. I strongly recommend them. They are supremely comfortable, now that I've broken them in by wearing them around the house with alcohol-soaked cotton socks (sounds icky but works every time) -- and they support my feet really well when I have to stand or walk. They have as good a 1940s look as just about any shoes I've ever seen. I've searched for years for a pair of sturdy-yet-graceful oxfords, and these are the first ones I've ever found that fit the bill.

Some time ago LizzieMaine suggested Clinic Coquettes, but my one near-shot at finding a pair ended in disappointment when the vendor was unable to fill my order. I think they're no longer in production.

By the way, Born makes the same style is also made in a low, 3/4" heel. It's called Bristol. Next paycheck I might splurge on a pair. For some reason these are a little more expensive. In any case, both styles seem to be really well made of high-quality materials.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I just sent away for a pair of Born Naleighs. I strongly recommend them. They are supremely comfortable, now that I've broken them in by wearing them around the house with alcohol-soaked cotton socks (sounds icky but works every time) -- and they support my feet really well when I have to stand or walk. They have as good a 1940s look as just about any shoes I've ever seen. I've searched for years for a pair of sturdy-yet-graceful oxfords, and these are the first ones I've ever found that fit the bill.

Some time ago LizzieMaine suggested Clinic Coquettes, but my one near-shot at finding a pair ended in disappointment when the vendor was unable to fill my order. I think they're no longer in production.

By the way, Born makes the same style is also made in a low, 3/4" heel. It's called Bristol. Next paycheck I might splurge on a pair. For some reason these are a little more expensive. In any case, both styles seem to be really well made of high-quality materials.

Very nice, and a very fair price considering the quality. Never cheap out on shoes or you'll live to regret it.

Clinics went out of production about two years ago. Some places still have old stock, and they show up on eBay fairly regularly, but it's catch as catch can on sizes and colors. Sometimes you can get lucky and find them for cheap.

Idledame

Practically Family

Attachments

• BRIDGS.jpg
    BRIDGS.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 1,389
  • DONNAS.jpg
    DONNAS.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 1,404
  • VIVIES.jpg
    VIVIES.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 1,375

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
I just got some t-straps from Amerimark and I can't return them because I wore them. First time out the heel plate crumbled and now the left heel is bare. *sigh* Well, they're at the shoe repair until next friday. I figured that even if I decided to send them back anyway, I'd lose at least $10 so I may as well pay the cobbler. I really do like them otherwise. I'm going to make loops out of the elastic strap and use different ribbons to tie them up (bow over the crossing part). They are these in black: http://www.amerimark.com/angel-steps-jean/160043.html?viewadult=yes The heels are low enough for me with all my back problems and my heels seem to sit lower, as if there were a heel cup. It kind of reminds me of Earth Shoes. The toe box isn't too bad. I always have to stretch the right shoe anyway and the freezer trick works very well if I do it twice.

AvavanBlythe

Familiar Face
Ooo, I like the heels on that. I am always on the lookout for a lower heel for days when I need to do more walking. I'm not a big fan of flats, though.

Just a tip: invest in Insolia if you have heels that feel a bit too high. It's an insert that sits in the heel portion of your shoe and adjusts your arch so that your foot behaves as if you're standing on even ground. I've worn 3" heels and felt pretty comfortable using Insolia. I haven't heard of them helping with back problems, but if they can I'm sure that would be awesome.

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
*goes off to google to look for insolia* Thanks!

Oh, I forgot to say that I got these also: http://www.amerimark.com/angel-steps-sybil-pump/160101.html?viewadult=yes

They are more comfy than the other ones. Of course the left shoe fits a bit too loose, but I have a half-size difference between feet. It's fixable. They feel a tad bit lower with a slightly wider heel plate also, which makes them even easier to walk in.

Last edited:

mpinti

New in Town
Since it's well-near impossible for me to find vintage shoes that (1) comfortably fit my big bog-stomping 9 1/2 B feet or (2) won't bankrupt me, I'm always on the lookout for The Vintage Look -- especially when it comes to good 30s-40s looking daytime shoes I can wear every day.

So I was *wicked happy* to find these --

http://www.shoetrader.com/pagebuilder/Item?item=46713&CATEGORY=TICTACTOES

I have two pairs in this style -- one in bone and now, as of today, (yay!) one in black, and am totally in love with them. The heel is just the right height for comfortable walking, working, doing stuff around town, etc etc etc, and I really like that the overall shape of the shoe is totally period -- something very hard to find in "modern takes on vintage style."

The only drawback I've noticed is that, like vintage shoes, the insoles are not padded -- so if you're on your feet a lot, which I am, comfort inserts are a big help.

Same manufacturer has this style --

http://www.shoetrader.com/pagebuilder/Item?item=46609&CATEGORY=TICTACTOES
http://www.shoetrader.com/pagebuilder/Item?item=46609&CATEGORY=TICTACTOES

I have these in brown suede, and have a pair in smooth black on order. I'd like very much to have both these styles in smooth brown, cordovan, or russet, but alas, they aren't offered in any of those shades. Pity.

Fit in both styles was precisely true to size, which is often an issue for me. I found that shipping was rather slowish, compared to some online merchants, but they were definitely worth the wait!

Some really cool shoe designs. There are some similar ones on www.salsashoesonline.com

Can find some cool shoes there

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
Bait Shoes- this site has so many cute styles, I can't link them all, so here's a sampling of some and you can go to the site for more. They have very colorful shoes. I actually wish they had more in black, since that's my go-to, but they have great choices and good prices. And I like that they have plenty of lower heels, around 2" instead of higher.

http://www.baitfootwear.com/

3b2ec3_245d1f27a0274ad1bdfab9020591f5d1.jpg
3b2ec3_5778cb7dd8c74dcc8faee6471fc621ed.jpg

3b2ec3_14ebac893a124deaaaed2136fc0b8f3f.jpg
3b2ec3_0b6a107904844757a1763a638a722b16.jpg

HannahLynn40s

New in Town
Guys I really need help. Also, I'm new here! after I meet my weight loss goal I'm transitioning to a full 40s vintage lifestyle (plus my computer and some other modern things I cannot do without) but the issue I'm having is with shoes. I just want some everyday flats, a pair of short heeled peep toe pumps, a pair of brown oxfords and sandals. eventually I'll include more heels IF I can find them in my size. My foot is exactly 8 inches long, womens 5 is too long on me and it just makes me sad I can't find genuine vintage OR vintage styled/inspired shoes to fit at all :'( I usually wear girls sizes anywhere from 1 1/2 to a 3.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Guys I really need help. Also, I'm new here! after I meet my weight loss goal I'm transitioning to a full 40s vintage lifestyle (plus my computer and some other modern things I cannot do without) but the issue I'm having is with shoes. I just want some everyday flats, a pair of short heeled peep toe pumps, a pair of brown oxfords and sandals. eventually I'll include more heels IF I can find them in my size. My foot is exactly 8 inches long, womens 5 is too long on me and it just makes me sad I can't find genuine vintage OR vintage styled/inspired shoes to fit at all :'( I usually wear girls sizes anywhere from 1 1/2 to a 3.
Congrats on meeting your weight loss goal.
Have you considered real vintage shoes? I only seem to find tiny sizes, so you might be able to pick up a few pairs more easily than other ladies with much bigger feet (ahem that would be me). Here's a website that sells new old stock shoes. The smallest size they sell is size 4. I just had a look at what they have available in 4 & 4.5 & they have some very nice flats, courts & oxfords. http://avintagesole.com/women

Rockapin-up

A-List Customer
Very nice, and a very fair price considering the quality. Never cheap out on shoes or you'll live to regret it.

Clinics went out of production about two years ago. Some places still have old stock, and they show up on eBay fairly regularly, but it's catch as catch can on sizes and colors. Sometimes you can get lucky and find them for cheap.

I've always been interested in the Clinics ever since you mentioned them a couple of years ago. Finally found a pair on ebay in taupe and decided to give em a go. waiting for there arrival.

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
These are all at Zappos.

Earth Wanderlust
Also in dark blue and dark brown.

Rockport Cobb Hill Angelina
Also in wine, and a metallic brownish.

Bloch Sfx Split Flex
Also in tan (looks more beige).

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
Can anyone here vouch for the fit of Remix Vintage shoes? I know they switched manufacturers some years ago (if I recall correctly), so I'm referring to their current and most recent styles. I'm wondering, do they fit true to size, or perhaps run large or small? Narrow, wide? I hope someone can help. Thanks ahead of time. :)

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
I bought the most lovely pair of shoes. They're the Marilyn from Royal Vintage. But I have a problem with them, so if anyone here can answer the question below, I'd love input. These are them:

Because their website says, "Runs a HALF SIZE LARGE for most customers - order one half size smaller than your normal size."- I did. I ordered a 6 instead of my usual 6.5. And they're too snug! But the only leather shoes I've worn in the past 20 years are custom made Victorian boots with a 3" heel or not custom Vic boots with a wider, 2" heel, and those shapes are very different, so I'm wondering- if they're just snug, will they stretch over time? Or perhaps I can stretch them. I don't want to go through returning them if possible. They feel only a half size too small, and maybe not quite that. I do think the 6.5 would have been the better choice, but if I could make these fit without doing a return... that would be nice.

ETA: Nevermind. I've tried them on again and they're def a half size too small, I will not even attempt to stretch them. I'm quite peeved that following *their* suggestion has left me with the cost of returning them, as I asked if I had to still pay return costs due to this really being their error, and they ignored my question in the return email. So I will exchange them for my true size, and never order from Royal Vintage again because this is crap customer service. There are still Re-Max, Rocket Originals, and other companies who make high quality, repro shoes.

Last edited:

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
Wow, no one has posted in here in some time.

I am hoping to get some input on Re-Mix's pleated toe style. Wondering if anyone's worn them for a lot of walking, and what kind of comfort level they found? If anyone can give me some info based on their experience, please do. :)

EDIT many weeks later:
I ended up ordering the Re-Mix Corazon sandal. Beautiful shoe. However, the size was an issue; I'm a 6.5, and ordered the equivalent of a 7, thinking a little big is better than a little small, because one can adjust it with an insole, padding, etc. But the shoe was far too big around my toes, more like I'd ordered a full size up. The middle was too tight- a surprise considering my feet are narrrow. The heel area was too tall for my feet and dug into my malleoli. So back they went, and shipping is just too expensive to keeping trying until I get a pair that fits. Sadly, unless Re-Mix shows up at a vintage style fair and I can actually try them on, I don't think I'll own a pair of their shoes.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk