Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cute Vintage-y Shoes

Inky

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
After getting new shoes for the QM weekend...Including these for daytime wear....I promptly smashed my foot into the bathtub in our room. Score: QM-1 Neecerie-0.

The Aris Allen's were the only shoe I could manage to put my foot into and walk without more pain then I was already in. So seriously comfy shoes.....if you can stick a broken toe in them and still be reasonably ok.

Needless to say...they don't actually go with a formal gown...but there was not a real choice.

Sorry to hear about your toe! I've broken more toes than I care to remember, it's awful!

Are those Aris Allen's true to size? I have 2 pair of their shoes in other styles in my size 10, but i worry a fully closed shoe would be slightly smaller.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Inky said:
Sorry to hear about your toe! I've broken more toes than I care to remember, it's awful!

Are those Aris Allen's true to size? I have 2 pair of their shoes in other styles in my size 10, but i worry a fully closed shoe would be slightly smaller.

I normally wear anything from an 8.5 to a 9.5 (with a 9 being the most common fitting size for me)....these are a 9.5, so I would say half a size bigger then normal would be good...gave me a good but not -super tight- fit.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
The Aris Allen's were the only shoe I could manage to put my foot into and walk without more pain then I was already in. So seriously comfy shoes.....if you can stick a broken toe in them and still be reasonably ok.

I just took off a pair of these. :) They're quite comfy! My only beef is that they're entirely synthetic, but otherwise they seem nice, with good arch support. (I've only worn them a couple times, so I can't offer a thorough review!) I'm using them as dance shoes, but they'd be great for street wear too.

To Inky - I wear a size 9 in street shoes as well. I bought these in a 9.5 and they fit perfectly. But note - I bought the pair that's currently on sale, the "old" style. The new style (which is basically the same thing, but with different sizing) is supposed to fit differently.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
ShoreRoadLady said:
To Inky - I wear a size 9 in street shoes as well. I bought these in a 9.5 and they fit perfectly. But note - I bought the pair that's currently on sale, the "old" style. The new style (which is basically the same thing, but with different sizing) is supposed to fit differently.

ahh yes...I forgot to note that mine are the 'last year's model' as well. I just could not turn down AA shoes for 30 dollars...heh

Grant Fan

Practically Family
I just bought these at DSW, they are Kenneth Cole and have rubber soles so they don't slip meaning I can wear them to work. They are so comfortable and the color makes my day
3.jpg

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I went shopping this afternoon and I was amazed at the amount of vintage-inspired shoes in the stores. Lots of Oxfords in different styles, lots of 1920s-looking shoes, too with a few 30's and 40's styles thrown in. Now I have to keep myself from spending all my paycheck on shoes!

Anyone else notice this?

Grant Fan

Practically Family
AmateisGal said:
I went shopping this afternoon and I was amazed at the amount of vintage-inspired shoes in the stores. Lots of Oxfords in different styles, lots of 1920s-looking shoes, too with a few 30's and 40's styles thrown in. Now I have to keep myself from spending all my paycheck on shoes!

Anyone else notice this?

I have been noticing a revival of vintage fashion that has been pretty intense for the last year-ish. I started noticing it when pointy shoes stopped being the only heels easy to find. I think it is because the fashions from our beloved past reminds us that people have been through hard times before and we can make it too. I think that's what it is but who knows I could be getting far to deep here.

SayCici

Practically Family
I don't know, I think recycling fashion trends are always present, it's not necessarily because there is a demand for vintage-looking things. Oxfords have been popular for the past couple years, and I'm sure before then as well.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Are gold shoes not vintage? My mom insists they're modern. That doesn't seem right to me. I'm looking for a formal, high-heeled gold shoe of some time, preferably not totally strappy-sandal but it can be open toed if necessary.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Viola said:
Are gold shoes not vintage? My mom insists they're modern. That doesn't seem right to me. I'm looking for a formal, high-heeled gold shoe of some time, preferably not totally strappy-sandal but it can be open toed if necessary.

In the 1940s they wore metallic shoes mostly gold but silver too. they just weren't as common. My guess would be that they were expensive. And you know what if you want Gold shoes bask in the fact that you are alive now and can get them easily.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
So if I want a gold shoe, what would be the best styles to evoke '30s-'40s evening heels/formal sandals or with a gown?

I mean probably all of them are easier to get in gold nowadays but what are the styles that really say classic? T-strap?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Viola said:
So if I want a gold shoe, what would be the best styles to evoke '30s-'40s evening heels/formal sandals or with a gown?

I mean probably all of them are easier to get in gold nowadays but what are the styles that really say classic? T-strap?

T-straps would be good, but avoid a too-pointy toe. Or, something even strappier, like this --

09.jpg

An almond-shaped toe and the slightly-curved, non-stilletto heel are the basic ingredients to the look, I'd think -- with those features as the foundation just about any uppers would look vintagey.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I'm an idiot, is the something strappier something that's okay like T-straps or something to be avoided like witch-pointy toes?

It's only going to get worse, I'm afraid - I have to go 24 hours without caffiene. :eek:

I'm glad that the rounded toe and slightly-chunky heels are the mandatory ingredients; that shouldn't be too impossible to find.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Viola said:
I'm an idiot, is the something strappier something that's okay like T-straps or something to be avoided like witch-pointy toes?

It's only going to get worse, I'm afraid - I have to go 24 hours without caffiene. :eek:

I'm glad that the rounded toe and slightly-chunky heels are the mandatory ingredients; that shouldn't be too impossible to find.

Something strappier, like in the pic, is fine -- those are authentic '30s evening shoes. If you can find something styled like that, you will be, as they say, golden.

If you're going 24 hours without caffiene, you are a stronger woman than I. Good luck!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
As soon as I posted I was like "you know those shoes LOOK awfully authentic to me" but I figured I'd leave it up for posterity. I'm so danged clever its amazing.

I really appreciate the guidelines, makes it a lot less intimidating to shop around. For me, with shoes, its a lot harder for me to sort out modern stylistic interpretations from vintage than it is with, say, dresses.

I'm fasting for the day, but its an insight into myself that I miss coffee more than actual nutrition! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred