Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cute Vintage-y Shoes

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Having rather wide, straight-across-at-the-toes feet, I really prefer to try before I buy, especially with heels. My shoes range from 8.5 - 9.5. I ordered the Diesels in a 9, and they fit nicely.
Today I stayed in all day, but after my noonish shower, dressed in a fitted top, short, tulle-layered skirt, leggings and thigh-his, finishing off with my new shoes, ready to finally go out and meet my Mr. at the coffee house. They certainly add a fun finishing touch.
My only concern is that the heel is covered in the nubuck (suedy finish), and will probably show wear easily, especially when you have a car with a clutch.

Lorelai99

One of the Regulars
Shoes

kamikat said:
I would say they are pretty close to true to size. I might have been able to got up a half size with an insert.

Yeah I meant I bought them a half size bigger... which really isn't bigger for me. In dress shoes I usually go a size up because when I dress up for work I tend to be standing on concrete for hours so I usually have inserts in all of my shoes or my feet will yell for days. So hopefully these will fit... and if not I have a friend that wears larger shoes then me and I'm sure she'd take them off my hands...

crwritt

One Too Many
So far the black and white Diesel shoes are real attention getters. I put them on tonight with black slacks, a low cut top and a metallic chain belt, and we went dancing.
My husband, skeptical at first, admitted they looked good. I had multiple compliments, from both men and women, including a "sexy" comment.
We danced for three hours I think, and the shoes were comfortable to dance in and turned well.
The high heel and smooth sole are a little sketchy on icy pavement, but i had a helping hand, so no accidents!

Lorelai99

One of the Regulars
Diesel Shoes

Well I got the 8 1/2 today and they could fit but the ankle strap is too long for me. So I looked online at them and well they had 8s this time so I ordered them because seriously for that price why waste my time trying to alter them. So if my friend doesn't want them I guess I'll try to sell the 8 1/2 if they really do have the 8s this time and if it was a computer fluke them I alter the ankle strap and get insoles!!

Either way they are really cute and were very comfortable for the time I had them on even with being a little floppy since they were too big. lol

Tigerlily

One of the Regulars
Coopsgirl said:
I've been looking for a pair of black and white spectator shoes and I finally found a pair. I got these $80 Steve Madden shoes for $18 and some change at Ross this weekend.

DSCF0768.jpg

I really wanted a pair with heels but I can't wear anything over 2" without pain ;) and it seems that all the heeled ones I've found are 3" at least. These are very cute though and at such a bargain I couldn't pass them up.

I bought these same ones yesterday at Ross too!! They're so comfy and they make me wanna dance. I added some laces from an old pair of formal shoes my dad doesn't wear anymore and they look even cuter. :)

Lorelai99

One of the Regulars
Help...

I have a really bad habit of buying vintagey shoes with 3+" heels which is fine for me but I am going to an WWII event at work where I will be doing alot of walking and alot of it will be on grass and I need ideas of shoes that are more friendly for that so I don't end up spraining my ankle or worse :eek: ... anyone seen any recently?? Preferably some that are affordable for a college student... I prefer sandals... but then can I get a way with white keds if I can't find any I can afford? I seriously know next to nothing about 1940s shoes that aren't dressy...

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family

Lorelai99

One of the Regulars
bunnyb.gal said:
I posted a reference to them in this thread, I believe. I still love them but have read not such good things about them regarding their comfort...

Well I've come to the understanding that my feet are odd shaped and most shoes kill my feet no matter what unless I add insoles so I've given up on looking for comfort!! I ordered them and we will see.

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
Alternative to saddle shoes?

I bought some very cute saddle shoes, but I just can't get into them for wearing with jeans. I sometimes wear my PF Flyers, which are great, but I want something that isn't sneakers. I've seen that Rosie Norman Rockwell poster and she has loafers on, so I was thinking about those, although I like the loafers that have short laces rather than penny loafers. I also saw a pair of loafers or oxfords that had a keltie fringe on the top, like a golf shoe that are oddly appealing. Is that ever worn on a shoe that isn't for golf? Any recommendations for a vintage look knockabout shoe? Loafers or otherwise?

Inky

One Too Many
jetgirl said:
Any recommendations for a vintage look knockabout shoe? Loafers or otherwise?

I wear dungarees more often than anything else and while I do primarily wear them with my red/white or maroon saddle shoes, I've worn them with my penny loafers (Bass Weejuns) and flat oxfords similar to these (mine have a lower heel).

Bucks would also be great and they are on my wish list - Remix makes a nice men's pair but I know some gals here (Lauren and Blondie) have vintage golf shoes with the cleats removed and wear those as casual shoes. Like these. Bucks are on my wish list ;)

Here's a picture of some 1940's teen girls from the life archive wearing dungarees and a variety of shoe styles.

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the recommendations gals. I love the remix bucks because they have that loafer stitching on the outside, most of the other bucks I've found are an oxford style. Seems like the shoes I have been eying will work fine.

In the meantime, I found this cute photo. Don't these look 70's? And I didn't know lug soles were used at all.

2776093888_1961729d4d.jpg

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Lorelai99 said:
Well I've come to the understanding that my feet are odd shaped and most shoes kill my feet no matter what unless I add insoles so I've given up on looking for comfort!! I ordered them and we will see.

Same here! I'm very wide across the balls of the feet from lots of yoga and all of the spreading of the toes/balls of feet that comes with that, but even so, many shoes that I look at I just think, "But the shape of the human foot is nothing like that!" Also, I see so many postural issues in clients from too-high heels and badly-fitting shoes, so caveat emptor! Keep us posted. Lorelai.

Lorelai99

One of the Regulars
bunnyb.gal said:
Same here! I'm very wide across the balls of the feet from lots of yoga and all of the spreading of the toes/balls of feet that comes with that, but even so, many shoes that I look at I just think, "But the shape of the human foot is nothing like that!" Also, I see so many postural issues in clients from too-high heels and badly-fitting shoes, so caveat emptor! Keep us posted. Lorelai.

I wish I could blame yoga but I've only been doing that for about a year and I've had problems for years. I swear I bruise my big toe from shoes so often it's crazy. I'll let you know how these boots go whenever I get them.

Inky

One Too Many
not new shoes for me (i'm on a no spending hold for February) but new shoes for the hubby - he wanted....wait, are you ready for it.....BASS WEEJUN PENNY LOAFERS.

e-shoes_2081_1040395

And some short sleeve shirts in a small check fabric - shirts WITH BUTTONS and a COLLAR.

yes, I have created a monster.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Lorelai99 said:
Does anyone own the Re-Mix Women's Picasso 40'S Wedge Sandal? I read somewhere that the sizing is different? Is that true or do they run true to size?
I would say they run true to size. I wear 6.5. I tried the 6, sent it back. I tried the 7 and it's too big. It almost fits with an insert.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran