Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cutting and rebinding brim on Camp Draft?

dawgvet

Familiar Face
Thinking of having one of my Camp Drafts brim cut down and wondered if anyone could recommend someone to rebind the edge? Can they reuse the original ribbon? I would like it to match the original if not. Will Akubra sell some extra ribbon? Anyone have any pics of a trimmed Camp Draft?
Thanks
Jed

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Send it to HarpPlayerGene, the haberslasher! :D

Seriously, Mike Moore could do that for you easily, as could Art Fawcett or pretty much any of our other fine hatters.

Duper

Practically Family
Along the same line has anyone ever ordered an Akubra Campdraft from an online dealer with a modification? I know Noggintops cut the brim down on my Akubra Banjo Paterson for a small fee prior to shipping it. They offer that service on a few of their hats and it is part of the online ordering options screens. The caveat being it does negate the option to return the hat.

Does Hat Direct or Everything Australian offer services like that as well? If they did I would be happy to have them do a trim and rebind on a Campdraft before they sent it out to me. It would save on time and doubling up on shipping charges.

majormoore

Vendor
The old ribbon on the hat would be rather hard, it will have to be cut off first and if you have never cut one off, then it's a real pain in the !!!!!! plus I have never had one that did not get a cut while taken off , your best bet is have a new ribbon put on, I am sure some of us hatters would or might have a color that is either dead on or just a little off.

Major Moore

CRH

Call Me a Cab
majormoore said:
...I am sure some of us hatters would or might have a color that is either dead on or just a little off.

'A little off' might be a good thing if it was off in the right color.

Duper

Practically Family
Well my hopes of having the Campdraft brim trimmed by HD prior to shipping it to me were extinguished.

HD infomed me via e-mail they would prefer not to make this sort of modification to a hat that is mail order. Also they do not have a machine to do the rebinding and would have to do it by hand. They suggested I send it off to a bespoke millliner to do the work. I had to look up what "bespoke" meant.

Oh well,,,file it under "seemed like a good idea at the time", but at least I expanded my vocabulary.

High Pockets

Practically Family
I've got one that'll probably be going to Graham Thompson as soon as the Dobbs Westward I bought the other day gets here.
Not being as much of a fan of the Campdraft as many here, I was going to make it my "beater". I think however, the old tan Westward will fit that bill.

If it does, the Campdraft, as I said, will be on a plane to Optimo to see if Graham can add a wide ribbon, cut the brim down and turn it into something like the hats that were in style in the late 20's or early 30's.

Got nothing to loose, I don't like it like it is.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
High Pockets said:
I've got one that'll probably be going to Graham Thompson as soon as the Dobbs Westward I bought the other day gets here.
Not being as much of a fan of the Campdraft as many here, I was going to make it my "beater". I think however, the old tan Westward will fit that bill.

If it does, the Campdraft, as I said, will be on a plane to Optimo to see if Graham can add a wide ribbon, cut the brim down and turn it into something like the hats that were in style in the late 20's or early 30's.

Got nothing to loose, I don't like it like it is.

I'll be interested in seeing what that looks like when Optimo is finished with it. Should make a nice looking lid.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
BobC said:
I'll be interested in seeing what that looks like when Optimo is finished with it. Should make a nice looking lid.

:arated:

Oh, yes! Certainly nothing we can buy off the shelf these days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo