Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CXL black overdyed steer?

theeggcarton

One of the Regulars
Hi all...I was wondering if the Horween chromexel black overdyed steer is the same black steerhide that Aero uses?
Is this a different black steerhide or is all the black Horween cxl "overdyed"?

Thanks!

nick123

I'll Lock Up
The overdye has a THIN black topcoat with a medium brown base, to the point of the jacket not really looking like a true black. Whereas the regular black steerhide should appear as a true black. You can almost see the brown underneath (somewhat transculent with the overdye). Both will get knicked up and show hints of brown in wear areas, but the overdye will wear more quickly. I know they're both Horween, and I'm pretty sure the overdye is also chromexcel (chrome base tan with veg retan), but I'm not sure if they're finished differently, whether or not the brown base colors are identical, or much else. It might come down to simply using a thicker black topcoat between the two. Yep, Aero uses Horween steerhide, the same company that does the overdye.

Last edited:

achee

New in Town
I asked Johnson leathers about the overdye and according to Alan, they get Horween to do the overdye just for them. Not sure how true that is but I've not seen that particular leather anywhere else. It's interesting that it's CXL because in general Chrome Excel refers to a pull up leather (the leather lightens when you pull on it) and the overdye CXL is not a pull up at all.

Andrew

nick123

I'll Lock Up
pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    714.4 KB · Views: 423

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The brown stitching on Technovox's jacket was a brilliant idea on Alan's part. That shot of the sleeve and cuff, in particular, really blew me away. I too would love to see some recent shots.

technovox

One Too Many
I found this posting earlier this year from technovox....beautiful jacket in the overdyed black.
Would love to see updated photos....
As requested, here are a couple of quick pics of my Johnson Half-belt in Horween Overdye Black... taken this morning. Because the Spring weather has been too warm, it hasn't seen much rotation lately. But I'm always surprised at how supple and easy to wear it is. (Remember, I had the beast skimmed down to a little over 3 oz.) Just starting to take on a bit of character. Not much brown showing through yet- give it a year or two.
Cheers!

JHL6.jpg
JHL001.jpg
JHL2.jpg
JHL3.jpg
JHL4.jpg
JHL5.jpg

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Holy god Technovox. I'm sure you used a better camera than my crappy iphone but I think Alan blessed you with the best part of the cow there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana