Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Czech Republicans: Tonak, Huckel, no name

PanosChris

Practically Family
Here’s a Tonak I found for sale in Ukraine with free shipping. Lovely velour finish.

View attachment 358819 View attachment 358820 View attachment 358821 View attachment 358822 View attachment 358823 View attachment 358824 View attachment 358825

5 1/2” open crown and 2 3/8” wide brim and sewn in liner. It’s for sale so feel free to send me a PM if you’re interested.
Brent, that one looks great, congrats! Pity about the size but surely will make someone very happy!

Whilst shopping for vintage hats I found two Tonak hats. Both very soft to the point of being floppy. One designation I had not seen before, so I took some pictures (it wasn't my size, so I didn't bring it along). So not my hat.
Tonak "Sund" in grey. Size 55 with a raw edge brim of (I'm guessing) 6cm and a crown of about 10cm at the center dent.
If the label does indeed display the year of production this should be 1963.

ton3.jpg
ton4.jpg
ton1.jpg
ton2.jpg

Whilst shopping for vintage hats I found two Tonak hats. Both very soft to the point of being floppy. One designation I had not seen before, so I took some pictures (it wasn't my size, so I didn't bring it along). So not my hat.
Tonak "Sund" in grey. Size 55 with a raw edge brim of (I'm guessing) 6cm and a crown of about 10cm at the center dent.
If the label does indeed display the year of production this should be 1963.

View attachment 362402 View attachment 362403 View attachment 362400 View attachment 362401
Stefan, Thanks for taking photos! What I find interesting is the Form could be from a earlier time period. That is the case for the Tonaks I have from the same time period.

Stefan, Thanks for taking photos! What I find interesting is the Form could be from a earlier time period. That is the case for the Tonaks I have from the same time period.
Thanks, Steve. Well spotted; there was not a lot of taper to the crown of this hat. Could indeed easily have been a decade earlier.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Hückel in black antilope finished felt. The open crown is a modest 5 1/4 inches and the raw edge brim is 2 5/8 inches wide.

View attachment 378975 View attachment 378976 View attachment 378977 View attachment 378978 View attachment 378979 View attachment 378980 View attachment 378981 View attachment 378982

The felt has a lovely hand and is easily dry creased. I don’t think it’s a very old hat, but the felt is as good as some other brands vintage stuff. I do wish the crown was taller, but that’s just my personal taste.

The shorter crown looks good on you too, Brent. Hückel, black hat, short brim, Antilope felt: what's not to like? :)

A great velour that I couldn’t pass up. 5 1/2” open crown and a bound brim width of 3 3/8 measured after the pencil curl. Size is 57cm or 7 1/8 US. Marked Genuine Fur Guama on the sweatband and on the liner. I’ll be patient waiting for Steve @mayserwegener to tell me more.

View attachment 460902 View attachment 460904 View attachment 460905 View attachment 460906 View attachment 460907 View attachment 460908 View attachment 460909 View attachment 460910 View attachment 460911 View attachment 460912
What a beautiful hat....amazing!

Brent, Great find! It was made for the Venezuelan market. The long hair finish resembles the edible fibre like pulp of the Guama fruit. (see below). It was made in May 1967 "Week 5 67".

"An unusual fruit that resembles a giant bean pod, with a sweet, refreshing, cotton like edible fiber on the inside. The pods are generally narrow, straight, and sometimes as long as a person's forearm. They can easily be cracked open to expose the white, sugar-rich pulp, similar to cotton candy, surrounding the seeds. In English they have been called ?ice-cream beans? due to the sweet flavor and smooth texture of the pulp."

Guamas.jpg

Here is another one on my website.

Brent, Great find! It was made for the Venezuelan market. The long hair finish resembles the edible fibre like pulp of the Guama fruit. (see below). It was made in May 1967 "Week 5 67".

"An unusual fruit that resembles a giant bean pod, with a sweet, refreshing, cotton like edible fiber on the inside. The pods are generally narrow, straight, and sometimes as long as a person's forearm. They can easily be cracked open to expose the white, sugar-rich pulp, similar to cotton candy, surrounding the seeds. In English they have been called ?ice-cream beans? due to the sweet flavor and smooth texture of the pulp."

Guamas.jpg

Here is another one on my website.

[/URL]

Thank you for this, Steve. I would never have connected the fruit and the felt. I really like the style and wish it was in my size. It’s not an everyday hat, but it’s one that would make me smile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk