Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Damaged Satin Lining

Sam Marlowe

New in Town
Well, you got another lurker comin' in from the dark. Here's my question. How much does a torn lining affect value? The model in question is a 1950's era
Stratoliner. I assume something like this is impossible to repair & the lining must be replaced by a reputable hatter. Any input from you fellas would be appreciated.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
It's now a worthless hat. If it's a 7 1/2 I'll take it off your hands, though, for the cost of shipping.

Seriously, how about a picture of the damage?

Sam Marlowe

New in Town
It's now a worthless hat. If it's a 7 1/2 I'll take it off your hands, though, for the cost of shipping.

Seriously, how about a picture of the damage?[/QUOTE

Really, worthless? That seems pretty severe. I know the lining can be replaced, but it loses all value w/a torn lining, huh? It's not a 71/2. Curious that you're interested even though it's a "worthless" hat. And no, I don't want to go snipe hunting. Anyone else a little less mercenary w/some useful feedback?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
tumblr_m0ohupVgE11qlkly8.jpg

Sam Marlowe

New in Town
Okay, let me try this again. What does a loose or torn liner do to the value of a vintage hat? I'm relying on the expertise of forum members to weigh in on this serious question.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Yes it does effect the price. Think to yourself
would you pay the full value on a vintage strat with a torn liner when you can just wait for a perfect one to come along. It is human nature that you want a perfect one.
Depending on how bad the liner is an since I can not see the damage without a image. It can cost you between 100 and 150 dollars compared to a pristine strat in the same size.

Sam Marlowe

New in Town
would you pay the full value on a vintage strat with a torn liner when you can just wait for a perfect one to come along. It is human nature that you want a perfect one.
Depending on how bad the liner is an since I can not see the damage without a image. It can cost you between 100 and 150 dollars compared to a pristine strat in the same size.

Thank you, sir. There is a big difference between losing $150 in value & all of the value. I appreciate your honesty.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up

This response makes no sense. Size, the extent of the damage to the liner, the condition of the rest of the hat, the color of the felt, era of the hat (pictures would help to date it) and the mood of the people bidding on ebay that particular day all affect the value. A perfect Strat in 6 3/4 won't sell for $250 on its best day. In fact, it will be lucky to break $125. However, a torn liner is not going to make an otherwise perfect hat worth $25 or less.

In 7 5/8, vintage hats are harder to find. An otherwise perfect hat with this desirable name is likely to sell for between $250 and $300 (again, this varies wildly by the day and the other factors listed above). A small tear in the liner of an otherwise perfect 7 5/8 Strat is not going to take it from that level to something under $200.

Any estimate on value or lost value is pure speculation and cannot be supported. The hat is worth what someone will pay for it on a given day.

We're a generally helpful bunch around here, Marlowe.

So, just to make all the clearer the point that has been made both implicitly and explicitly in this thread already ...

We need a bit more information. Size, color, condition, et cetera, et cetera. Photos would help. Indeed, photos are pretty much necessary.

Sam Marlowe

New in Town
This response makes no sense. Size, the extent of the damage to the liner, the condition of the rest of the hat, the color of the felt, era of the hat (pictures would help to date it) and the mood of the people bidding on ebay that particular day all affect the value. A perfect Strat in 6 3/4 won't sell for $250 on its best day. In fact, it will be lucky to break $125. However, a torn liner is not going to make an otherwise perfect hat worth $25 or less.

In 7 5/8, vintage hats are harder to find. An otherwise perfect hat with this desirable name is likely to sell for between $250 and $300 (again, this varies wildly by the day and the other factors listed above). A small tear in the liner of an otherwise perfect 7 5/8 Strat is not going to take it from that level to something under $200.

Any estimate on value or lost value is pure speculation and cannot be supported. The hat is worth what someone will pay for it on a given day.

Ok, Lefty, I think I get it. Thanks for takin' the time. Why less value for 6 3/4? My guess is much greater availability.

Sam Marlowe

New in Town
We're a generally helpful bunch around here, Marlowe.

So, just to make all the clearer the point that has been made both implicitly and explicitly in this thread already ...

We need a bit more information. Size, color, condition, et cetera, et cetera. Photos would help. Indeed, photos are pretty much necessary.

Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot