Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dance Classes-What to wear, what to bring?

Inky

One Too Many
Paisley said:
You mean you don't want to just roll them down below your knee? Or encase your legs in silk or nylon?

not so much. i tried on some of those mid thigh Spanx to fit under a wiggly dress and sure, it held in my tummy but apparently it sent it all down to my knees!!

Inky

One Too Many
BeBopBaby said:
I wish I could find pettipants or tap pants in cotton. Those nylon ones get too hot for me when I'm dancing. The same goes for slips. whtever happened to breathable cotton?

I think those would be a cinch to make, actually. Now that I am dusting off my sewing machine (and i mean that literally, lol, it's a 1936 Singer Featherweight that has been in storage for five years!), I may try my hand at making some.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
BeBopBaby said:
I wish I could find pettipants or tap pants in cotton. Those nylon ones get too hot for me when I'm dancing. The same goes for slips. whtever happened to breathable cotton?

Vermont Country Store has several styles of cotton slips. They also have cotton pettipants. Also, seriously check out the pajama bottom idea, because I bet those are easier to find in cotton.

Inky

One Too Many
KittyT said:
Vermont Country Store has several styles of cotton slips. They also have cotton pettipants. Also, seriously check out the pajama bottom idea, because I bet those are easier to find in cotton.

Clever girl, Kitty!! And here they are, available in white cotton.

Thanks, I think I have my pantie situation under "wraps."

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
I guess this is a good place to ask my question-- I've searched the site and couldn't find my answer, and I don't think this warrants its own thread...

I was walking through my local craft store today, intending to purchase a replacement zipper for a dress.

I wandered right into the $1 Simplicity pattern sale and 30 minutes later, I was walking out of the store with 4 yards of blue gingham, 2 yards of white cotton, a zipper (not for the repair), 4 buttons, some rickrack and a Wizard of Oz costume pattern.

A few hours later, and I'm about halfway through making Dorothy's dress.

I've been swing dancing for about 3 months now, and I've dressed a little more vintage every time I go. I bought the pattern and fabric with a dress to wear out dancing in mind. I have no doubt in my mind that a Dorothy dress is period appropriate for 1939, I just worry that I'll get there and everyone will wonder why I'm in my Halloween costume...

Do you think many people will see it and think "Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore"? I think dress will look cute, and seeing as I'm a curvy, curly short-haired redhead, I don't think people will think I'm trying to look like Dorothy, I just am a little worried that it might look more silly than period correct... What do you all say?

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
maggiethespy said:
I guess this is a good place to ask my question-- I've searched the site and couldn't find my answer, and I don't think this warrants its own thread...

I was walking through my local craft store today, intending to purchase a replacement zipper for a dress.

I wandered right into the $1 Simplicity pattern sale and 30 minutes later, I was walking out of the store with 4 yards of blue gingham, 2 yards of white cotton, a zipper (not for the repair), 4 buttons, some rickrack and a Wizard of Oz costume pattern.

I've been swing dancing for about 3 months now, and I've dressed a little more vintage every time I go. I bought the pattern and fabric with a dress to wear out dancing in mind. I have no doubt in my mind that a Dorothy dress is period appropriate for 1939, I just worry that I'll get there and everyone will wonder why I'm in my Halloween costume...

Do you think many people will see it and think "Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore"? I think dress will look cute, and seeing as I'm a curvy, curly short-haired redhead, I don't think people will think I'm trying to look like Dorothy, I just am a little worried that it might look more silly than period correct... What do you all say?

I'm torn! I think it would look a bit costumey since you chose the same blue gingham which makes it so identifiable. It is a perfectly wearable look for the period and I do adore Dorothy,so I would personally find it adorable and wouldn't judge you.
If you're nervous,perhaps a different fabric for the dress?

Vegan_Kitty

New in Town
What a fantastic and useful thread, Im desperate to start swing dance lessons, there is the fabulous London Swing Dance Society and they have so many dances, events and classes and I so so so want to go, that ive spent all my energy trying to convince my boyfriend to go with me that I hadnt really thought about the practical side of the outfits to wear.
In my head its all lovely heels and swishy skirts, haha lol

Oh and I still havnt convinced my boyfriend, is it ok to go alone? I dunno I think id feel a bit doofy.

Vegan_Kitty

New in Town
maggiethespy said:

Go for it, i Mean yeh its going to look a bit Dorothy like, but its going to look totally cute, and you can always accessorize it differently, like a large flower corsage in a contrasting color that perhaps matches the color of your shoes :)

No Pigtails though lol

la vie en rose

New in Town
Dancing Shoes & Rotations

...no pun intended. :)

For the bottoms of shoes, I've found it quite helpful to apply moleskin, which is self-adhesive, reasonably priced, can be found at any drugstore in the footcare section, and can last for months. It is also easily removable if you find it offers too little traction, although I've found it a perfect balance for almost every floor, as it is slightly less slippery than suede. Generally it is applied to the sole of the shoe from the instep to the toes, where your shoe will be in most contact with the floor (since, in my experience, your weight should be mostly on the balls of your feet). Your heel can be left bare to provide traction and can act as a good 'brake' in case of being flung into a slide or dip where you have to support your own weight.

VeganKitty, normally during introductory lessons partners are rotated frequently. I've gone to dances on my own for 4 years now and it's a great way to meet wonderful, friendly people.

I hope I've helped; it's great to see people enjoying such wonderful styles of dance!

Cheers,
la vie en rose

Lily Powers

Practically Family
maggiethespy said:

I have a vintage red & white checkered coat. It's actually very cute. When I wear it, people have the urge to toss me down and break open the potato salad and fried chicken or order spaghetti and chianti - it's very reminiscent of a tablecloth. But it's a fun coat and I wear IT, it doesn't wear me. So my advice is, if you like it and feel good in the dress, then go for it. If anyone says anything about Dorothy or the Wizard of Oz, just smile and tell them to click their heels and say, "There's no place like home."

kyda

One of the Regulars
There aint no thing like swing

We have a swing dance class about 1/2 hour from where I am, they are going to teach in my town about mid year ( i hope) so if they do I will be doing it for sure. I fell in love with swing dancing when I saw Memphis Belle.

Vegan_Kitty

New in Town
la vie en rose said:
...no pun intended. :)

VeganKitty, normally during introductory lessons partners are rotated frequently. I've gone to dances on my own for 4 years now and it's a great way to meet wonderful, friendly people.

Its really good to know that i could go on my own, I suppose going with someone you know would be less nerve wracking. I can be a bit, um shy when it comes to meeting new people. Ive done scarier things than learning to dance, like skydiving :D Im just going to have to go for it.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I got to the LSDS lessons on my own! I know one other person who goes but he's often not there. It's really fine and once you've been to a couple, people say hi and stuff. They're a nice crowd!

MissHannah

One Too Many
That reminds me Fleur - is there a website for the Kingston classes? I want to start going soon now my ankle is better. I'll be a beginner so I guess I won't be in the same classes as you :(

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Fleur De Guerre said:
I got to the LSDS lessons on my own! I know one other person who goes but he's often not there. It's really fine and once you've been to a couple, people say hi and stuff. They're a nice crowd!

That's so exciting to know-- I plan on traveling to London for a while when I finish my master's degree (about 4 years from now) and I just couldn't imagine what I'd do if I didn't have somewhere to dance.

On the topic of partners, I actually have less fun when I take one with me. The FWSDS people are AWESOME, really easy to meet, and extremely nice. I guess that appears to be a constant-- swing dancers are nice. I think that if you take someone with you, the fellas sometimes get a little intimidated and are less likely to ask you to dance-- at least that's what I've noticed. When I go alone, I barely get to sit down, maybe for one song, but when I go with a partner, he's the ONLY person who dances with me, which is frustrating because most of the guys I know do not know how to dance, and I'm getting pretty good, so I feel like I'm not learning anything if I spend the whole night dancing with one person who happens to be a begginer.

If you're thinking about going, but are afraid to go alone, my advice is to either get over it and go alone, or grab a girlfriend and take her with you-- even when it's a female friend, I seem to have more fun when I go alone. Perhaps because being alone forces me to meet other people. I've made several friends where I go now, and I always feel at home.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
When I started dancing I never took a partner with me. In fact,once I did partner up I felt a bit pigeonholed. Now that I am married and my husband is my partner(my favorite partner) there are only a select few who still ask. Though ,we go out rarely and there's only a select few left that I know. Plus,I've allowed myself to get rusty. I am starting to get the itch to go out dancing again.

Maggie- is the FWSDS at the Southside Preservation Hall? I used to go on tuesday evenings,but it's been a couple of years.

Inky

One Too Many
I personally would have preferred to learn without a regular partner. there is always someone in our class, male or female, to dance with. I learned with my husband, also a newbie, and he is too uncomfortable to dance with other people, so he only dances with me. I dance with anyone that asks (as long as they smell good!) and have learned so much from them.

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
rubyredlocks said:
Maggie- is the FWSDS at the Southside Preservation Hall? I used to go on tuesday evenings,but it's been a couple of years.

Yes! You should come this week-- I'd love to meet up with you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda