Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Danger? Question about Schott Horse Hide Jacket

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
I bought this jacket about 6 weeks ago from Oregon Leather Company, which acquired it on special order (placed by me with a deposit) from Schott NYC.

Okay, so here is the possible danger: There is a patch of wrinkly and thinner horse hide on the front of my jacket by the pocket on the front. I don't mind the appearance. It lends it an air of authenticity and character. My main concern is that the spot (about the diameter of man's palm) might eventually tear with wear, especially since it is right by one of the armpits.

If I keep the jacket conditioned is there a danger of tearing in medium thick horse hide like this? I would hate to have my favorite jacket give up the ghost ten years down the line and need a major repair that probably would ruin its charm. This jacket has large sections of leather: two in the front and one large one in the back. So the "danger" spot is part of a larger panel of leather on the front.

See attached pics of the "danger" spot, and the full front of the jacket.

SchottTwo.jpg

schottone.jpg

coat2.jpg

Last edited:

HighandDry

A-List Customer
I doubt if that would be a problem. I have a Bate's from 1958 and it has areas that are similar to your pic. Still very strong and in good shape.

Philip A.

Familiar Face
Horse hide is more supple and resilient than cow hide... Cordovan shoes last just a week short of forever, and certainly get much more flex and wear than a jacket will ever see! I wouldn't worry about it.

Many jackets have this. It is to me, indicative of the lower portion of the hide - nearer the stomach area from what I've seen of the hide info posted. All of my HH and FQHH jackets have places like this - it's not going to tear! In fact, it looks nicer in some ways. It will also likely feel softer, or easier to bend, etc. Just where it is on the horse. Enjoy the jacket, it's 100% fine.
If you're lucky, the whole thing will look like that after wearing it! :)

Peacoat

Bartender
If I keep the jacket conditioned is there a danger of tearing in medium thick horse hide like this?

More leather jackets are damaged by conditioner than by being left alone. A new jacket shouldn't need any conditioner for years--maybe 10 years. The exception is if the jacket spends a lot of time in the sun or in the rain. Then it will need conditioning when it feels dry.

I have a Schott Cafe Racer that is several years old. I did give it a treatment of Pecard after a year or so as I found out it wasn't waterproof--naked leather, I think. But other than making a jacket water resistant, I would wait until the leather feels a bit dry before applying anything to it. Yours won't be helped by conditioner, and it might cause a problem if you apply too much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran