Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Danish movie on the resistance in WWII

Creeping Past

One Too Many
First man makes joke. Second man doesn't think joke funny, posts dead-pan reply taken as po-faced by first man. First man takes offence. Second man, enjoying himself, becomes even more dead-pan. First man takes even more offence.

The joys of internet misunderstandings.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
ethanedwards said:
I think humour does a great deal to help people through times of adversity and stress. Anyone who has read anything I've posted here knows I have nothing other than respect and admiration for those who went into the arena. I enjoy the life I have because of what they did, and I don't need that explaining to me by the likes of you.

Humour can also be enjoyably employed against pompous and overbearing personalities because as you will have noticed, they tend never to 'get it'.

Now I'll leave you alone to get on and dominate the thread in your monotonously supercilious fashion. Don't bother getting into a 'last word' contest with me because I assure you, you already have it - I won't be posting at the Lounge again.

Don't leave - keep on posting. Your posts are allways valuable, great fun and spot on.:eusa_clap

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I agree - this is a forum and everyone should be allowed to put their point of view. I have always looked with interest at EthanEdward's views, even though they often disagree with my own. I'd like to see him stay and contribute to the forum.

Sorry - does that count as having the last word or dominating the thread?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
It probably could do, in some peoples' view but it seems more like
a benevolent attempt to make peace, in a situation of dubious blame,
and ambiguous tone, rather than any sort of malevolent act.

If there is any "domination of threads" at all, it is surely quite fitting that it is done by those with knowledge in the area being discussed.

B
T

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
H.Johnson said:
Added later:
From the official RAF history website, mention of two of the raids, mention of the use of models, but not who made them:
http://www.raf.mod.uk/history_old/aarhus.html
http://www.raf.mod.uk/history_old/shell.html

Stangely enough - not one word about the School that was bombed - only that a plane chrashed in a boulevard.

Here's a link to a danish website - in english - about the airwar over Denmark (1940-1945):
http://www.flensted.eu.com/1945028.shtml

(Sorry, I have posted this once allready - Alzheimer, I guesse ;-) )

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Counts me out, then! I was asking for information. I've found out more since, though.
BellyTank said:

If there is any "domination of threads" at all, it is surely quite fitting that it is done by those with knowledge in the area being discussed.

B
T

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Spitfire,

Yes - I think that was the problem, poor official information leaving a vacuum. I now believe (from a relative of the lady concerned) that the Nazi propaganda machine later put about an effective rumour that the wrong building had been bombed.

Spitfire said:
Strangely enough - not one word about the School that was bombed - only that a plane chrashed in a boulevard.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Believe me the german propaganda made a big thing out of the bombing of a school in central Copenhagen. But they could not hide the fact, that the Shellhouse had been bombed too. Not to the citicens of Copenhagen. It was right there smoking and burning.

My father (who was in the resistance) told me that on the day of the raid, he was at a businessmeeting in the neighbourhood of the school. After it was bombed he raced there in order to help. So did a lot of german soldiers and even the HIPO corps (The most hated Nazi organisation in Denmark. Danes in Nazi service acting as police) They did this partly because they wanted to help - but primarily to create photoppotunities for propaganda use.
My father was standing between a HIPO guy and a german soldier, in a line throwing buckets of water at the fire. He never forgets that.
Mostly because he had just been "underground" for a couple of months (for the third time), because his resistance groups cower had been blown by a traitor - and they were all wanted by Gestapo and HIPPO.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Spitfire

Fascinating! It really puts things into perspective when you have personal information like this.

This story is little known in Britain.

Thank you.

B-24J

One of the Regulars
The most recent books I've read, "With the Wind in My Face", by Wing CO. Jan Falkowski and "The STEN Machine Carbine", by Captain Peter Laidler both give mention to the Danish Resistance in WW2.

Falkowski's autobiography gives a thorough account of the help he received as an escaped Polish/RAF pilot working his way back to Allied lines and Laidler's book has a section regarding the Danish Resistance's home production of the STEN during the Nazi occupation.

These two books, and the Lounge of course, prompted me to buy a copy of the movie Flammen & Citronen. A powerful movie to be sure. It would have been nice if the STEN Flammen gave to Citronen had been a Danish Resistance model.

Can anyone recommend an English language book about the Danish Resistance? Of course one with a minimal amount of personal/political opinion from the author.

Thank you, John

HepKitty

One Too Many
I used to live in Aarhus(6 years), Rosensgade, by Domkirken, which is pretty much the middle of town, or maybe the middle of Downtown.
Across the road from my place was the Museum of the Occupation, Besættelsesmuseet, which was the early Gestapo HQ- it must have been the first site, then moved to somewhere a little further away- I can't imagine if that site was bombed, there's only a few metres between the museum and Domkirken, Aarhus' Cathedral.
That museum is very, very interesting-
the Danish people definitely did have it pretty rough under the German occupation- you can tell when you see shoes made from fish skin and childrens' sweaters re-sewn from maybe 5 old, worn out ones. The prison/interrogation cell inside the museum is very atmospheric indeed.
As it was just across the road from me, I was a regular visitor- I miss Aarhus Copenhagen and Denmark now.

B
T

Wish I had noticed that museum when I was wandering around the cathedral in Århus. I missed out!

PS thanks for bumping this thread, and mange tak to Spitfire for the info and photos

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Can anyone recommend an English language book about the Danish Resistance? Of course one with a minimal amount of personal/political opinion from the author.

Thank you, John

I am thinking and thinking. Will let you know, if I come up with some titles.

Regarding "homemade" Stenguns my father told me, that he had one during the war, but did not trust it so much. Especially not because it once emptied a magazine directly at the roof, when he banged it against a table. Since that episode he tried to get hold of a "British made version".

B-24J

One of the Regulars
I just finished reading "Hitler's Savage Canary", by David Lampe. I had ordered it from Amazon UK, but for some reason it arrived from Amazon fr! A great book, thank you for recommending it Soren. I would like to see some of the chapters made into a movie. The chapter recalling the campaign by the resistance to interdict the Germans moving troops from Norway to the Western Front was worth the price of the book. I hope Soren's father has writen down his own experiences for future generations.

John

B-24J

One of the Regulars
Thank you for the post link to "My father's war" Soren. It reads just like the book. Please give your father my kindest regards and thanks for his part in the war.
John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails