Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dare to Dream: Your "Ultimate" Leather Jacket

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
OK, I'll bite on this, although for me should label my response as the "Impossible Dream" coat and car since I would burn up in the Shawl Collar Barnstormer all but 10-14 days out of the year in North Central Texas, and be turned into road kill in the GTR with my heavy foot on the accelerator of any car I drive. :eek:

455320418673845_SCB side front-500.jpg 808532041c78df6b_SCB back side-500.jpg

2016-04-09 15.42.04.jpg 2016-04-09 15.42.29.jpg

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
2016 has been a great year for me. I was fortunate enough to obtain both a dream jacket (Himel Frobisher) and a dream car (2017 Audi R8).

Himel%20Frobisher%20013_zpsvmf979po.jpg

Website%202_zpsppwvna7a.jpg

* Not my car -- mine is the same color scheme, but with a few modifications (including an aftermarket supercharger that puts the car over 800 hp).

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
2016 has been a great year for me. I was fortunate enough to obtain both a dream jacket (Himel Frobisher) and a dream car (2017 Audi R8).

Himel%20Frobisher%20013_zpsvmf979po.jpg

Website%202_zpsppwvna7a.jpg

* Not my car -- mine is the same color scheme, but with a few modifications (including an aftermarket supercharger that puts the car over 800 hp).

that's living the dream,,nice

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
...and also I still very much would like to own a LL Dominator.
DSC_3921_zpsd64a2ad0.jpg

And this, or similar, 'cause they're so fun to ride.
1280px-1979_Suzuki_PE175N_enduro_01.jpg

No car, though. I pretty much hate cars.
I am very partial to the LL Dominator (and Corsair) and like the ride underneath too. Superfluous' Frobisher and his current ride are beyond incredible. Like handymike, I also like the direction of this thread.

Edward

Bartender
There are a couple of dream jackets that would be a delgiht for me to own, but not wear - Brando's original Johnny Strabler jacket is one; another would be Tim Curry's original Doctor Frank'n'Furter jacket, or Meatloaf's sleeveless 'Eddie' jacket (both from the Rocky Horror Picture Show). Any of the MC leathers owned and worn by the Ramones, or Joe Strummer, or Iggy Pop....

That sort of unique memorabilia aside, though.... when it comes to the idea of jackets to be worn purely as my own wardrobe.... I've gotten to the point where I love leather jackets so much, it would be impossible to pick just one. It would be akin to having a favourite pair of shoes (how can you choose between an Engineer boot and a wingtip brogue? Different beasts for different occasions....). Or choosing one pair of socks to wear forever, and that one pair only. Funny it's ended up that way, because when I first wanted a 'leather jacket' there was, of course, only one type: the same Perfecto-type MC that Alice Cooper wore (later Joey Ramone, later again Marlon Brando....). And there was, of course, only one colour.... black. My leather tastes are infinitely more catholic now (though you're still not likely to catch me in leather trousers any time soon).

I have a realistic wish-list of about a dozen more leather jackets that I dabble with all the time, saved on my PC. It's narrowed in focus as I've determined my own style - military leathers have definitely been surpassed by civilian stuff. They're mostly Aeros, simply beause they make a great product as (comparatively) a good price, are easy to deal with, and do pretty much every style I would want. There are others, though - Lewis, Wested, Vanson, chiefly. I have also owned a couple of very nice Eastman jackets over time. I suppose if I was to pick the most full-on one on the list there, I'd probably say the most 'dream jacket' type would be the Aero Barnstormer, which I'd like to spec out as a Winter overcoat, to be worn over a suit. For that reason, I wouldn't go crazy with the sheepskin lining: in time I plan to take their advice on it. A blanket lining is an option; I'm tempted by the quilting, but it would bug me if that was too anachronistic. The hide has to be the standard, Horween CXL FQHH in brown (for a longer black coat in this vague vein, I have my eye on the Vanson police coat one.... I think they call it the Luftwaffe or something like that?), while I also want a mouton collar on it - either rust or as close a brown to the hide as possible, with as long a pile to it as possible, taking my inspiration from Manfred von Richthoffen. Of all the jackets I've ever owned or wanted, that's probably the one as would be the most visually striking to a civilian.

Well really I have my dream jacket. Aero zip sleeve brown FQHH Bootlegger. However, I could very easily lust after this hide in an Aero Work Coat....

..But then I'd need this to go with it...

With you on the Bootlegger. Mine is a true joy. I could go up a size comfortably, but it's still a good fit for what I want (better again one I shift some weight as planned). I think yours was one of the ones that inspired my choice way back when. It's such a fantastic design - just as 'flexible' from casual through to 'notch down from office-formal' as any half belt, but that lancer front is just different.... love it.

That Porsche, though.... nah. Too modern. I don't much care for anything after the 356.... Still, at least with the one you're looking at (if I recall correctly) they put the engine in the correct end, unlike the 944 or the 924.... yeesh. Next they'll be telling me Volkswagen are gonig to make a "Beetle" with a front end, water-cooled engine..... (Yeah, they say they did that, but what you're looking at is merely a Golf in fancy dress....). ;)

I just ordered my "dream jacket" (Eastman Air Comfort), but getting the Grumman Goose seaplane (which logically should go with the jacket) past my wife might be a bit tougher!

Funny thing..... back when this was first launched, I remember posting on here to the effect that it was very nice and everything, but why put out a high end jacket likethis when there are dozens close to it that are pretty good already.... Ha.... Course, now if one turned up at the right price I'd jump on it..... It's a real grower; lovely, civilian alternative to the military types, all its own vibe. But then back then I also decided to be "sensible" and din't jump on a £100 (£100!!!) deal Aero did when they blew out the last of their own-brand B15s, as I much preferred the B10. These days, I've lost interest in the B10, and I'm all about the B15..... C'est la vie!

If I had a time machine, I'd go back 25 years and deliver this to myself:
View attachment 50035

Sounds like there's a story there!

It might go against the grain here but I don't think there is the ultimate or "holy grail" jacket for me personally now. I have a few I love to wear - my ELC Irvin, my Aero Barnstormer and - this might raise a few eyebrows here - even my Wested Indy jacket.

Can't knock Wested. I picked up a goat Raiders a few years ago, as I wanted a light, cheaper leather for travelling in in warmer weather. Cracking jacket.... those big, patch pockets are superb for stowing passport, plane tickets, wallet.... and the inner pockets - one with a zip fastener - are superb. Even when a little warm in an airport, it was easier to carry the jacket with all those things securely stowed than stuff 'em in me trews. Light goat drapes beautifully but still plenty solid that I've never worried about damaging it. No knits to hold in excess heat. I even wore it in 22Celsius heat in Dehli when it was just a little warm, as that zip pocket was the one securep lace I knew I couldn't be pickpocketed (not to single out Dehli, it's an issue in most any big city where you get lots of tight-packed crowds, but that just happened to be where I had it...). I'm actually looking now at possibly replacing it with one of the "Hero" models. This time I'd specify cotton sleeve linings, as the one failing of the original is how quickly those satin linings get clammy when it's warm. I've never had a problem with "grabby" cotton sleeve-linings, so... It's been interesting how this jacket - which I bought as a cheapy because I wanted an Indy (this is the jacket that sold me on brown leather....), but I knew it probably wouldn't get the same wear as the likes of my Aeros, so I didn't want to spend big. It's certainly a lot more than costume, though. (And for the record, never once have I had an Indy comment wearing it - and I have worn it with a brimmed hat, though a straw rather than a brown felt one.) I'm tempted to pick up a cotton one also for wearing when it really is too hot for anything else - largely based on its practicality as a travel jacket. It's even sold me on the notion of an Aero Royale in one of those nice, light-coloured hides....

The other Wested currently tempting me is the Doctor Who / Das Boot mid length one. A nice alternative to a blazer, same way I often wear a shorter jacket with collar and tie.... just not sure I'd wear it often enough to justify spending the big money, but again, Wested aren't hugely expensive.... Great brand for experimenting with a style cheaply (if they do it, of course) before committing the big bucks.....

Do it Peter. I have both and they are a great combination. I wear the TB when the temps are below freezing. It is a warm jacket.

A black Thunderbay is my destiny. Back in November 2012, spending time in a Beijing hotel room on a work trip, I was idly thinking about cold weather jackets. I was enjoying wearing my Irvin - just right at that time of year there over a shirt, tie and waistcoat - but, as you do, got to thinking about an alternative in black.... What I came up with was a shearling-lined Highwayman with a mouton collar.... not a million miles away from the Thunderbay, which Ken introduced five or so months later. Biggest difference between those two ideas is, I think, the front half-belt.

As far as vehicles go, I live in central London with excellent public transport on my doorstep, so I have never had a practical need for anything (probably just as well, because I have a mortgage in central London.....). If money were no object, however, I'd have the following:

Morgan Aero 8 Coupe for the Winter

Morgan 4/4 or Plus 4, 2-seater

Morgan Plus 4 4-seater

A couple of late-model (1968-71) Morris Minors (a 2-door saloon, and likely a Traveller, though the pick-up also appeals)

Ford Zodiac, MkI & MkII

Ford V8 Pilot (assuming I could get one RHD).

For bikes, I'd be happy with a c1916 motor-bicycle repro, a vintage BSA Bantam, a current model Royal Enfield Classic 500, and possibly something like an early 70s Honda 350.

I'd also enjoy a couple of bicycles - a Chinese Flying Pigeon; a nice, ballon-tyre beach-cruiser type; a Brompton folder that I could take places with me if I was gonig somewhere bike-theft is a problem.

Based on this, I rather suspect I'd also need to buy a warehouse for storage purposes.....

Mickiemac

One of the Regulars
Dream leather jackets and motorized transportation - what a combo.

As for my dream jacket, I received mine on Tuesday. An Aero Long Half-belt in Cordovan CXL Steerhide which I introduced on a seperate thread. I try not to dream too big and am more than content with such a modest jacket considering what one could spend if money were no obstacle.

My dream car is something that is a bit uncommon compared to other choices in this thread but I've had a passion for a Citroen DS Pallas ever since I was a teen. This particular vehicle was designed way back in the mid-50's but still looks contemporary even today.

Citroen-DS-Pallas.jpg

My new LHB in cordovan and this Citroen DS would make a great match!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Can't knock Wested. I picked up a goat Raiders a few years ago, as I wanted a light, cheaper leather for travelling in in warmer weather. Cracking jacket.... those big, patch pockets are superb for stowing passport, plane tickets, wallet.... and the inner pockets - one with a zip fastener - are superb. Even when a little warm in an airport, it was easier to carry the jacket with all those things securely stowed than stuff 'em in me trews. Light goat drapes beautifully but still plenty solid that I've never worried about damaging it. No knits to hold in excess heat. I even wore it in 22Celsius heat in Dehli when it was just a little warm, as that zip pocket was the one securep lace I knew I couldn't be pickpocketed (not to single out Dehli, it's an issue in most any big city where you get lots of tight-packed crowds, but that just happened to be where I had it...). I'm actually looking now at possibly replacing it with one of the "Hero" models. This time I'd specify cotton sleeve linings, as the one failing of the original is how quickly those satin linings get clammy when it's warm. I've never had a problem with "grabby" cotton sleeve-linings, so... It's been interesting how this jacket - which I bought as a cheapy because I wanted an Indy (this is the jacket that sold me on brown leather....), but I knew it probably wouldn't get the same wear as the likes of my Aeros, so I didn't want to spend big. It's certainly a lot more than costume, though. (And for the record, never once have I had an Indy comment wearing it - and I have worn it with a brimmed hat, though a straw rather than a brown felt one.) I'm tempted to pick up a cotton one also for wearing when it really is too hot for anything else - largely based on its practicality as a travel jacket. It's even sold me on the notion of an Aero Royale in one of those nice, light-coloured hides....

The other Wested currently tempting me is the Doctor Who / Das Boot mid length one. A nice alternative to a blazer, same way I often wear a shorter jacket with collar and tie.... just not sure I'd wear it often enough to justify spending the big money, but again, Wested aren't hugely expensive.... Great brand for experimenting with a style cheaply (if they do it, of course) before committing the big bucks.....

Morgan Aero 8 Coupe for the Winter

Morgan 4/4 or Plus 4, 2-seater

Morgan Plus 4 4-seater

A couple of late-model (1968-71) Morris Minors (a 2-door saloon, and likely a Traveller, though the pick-up also appeals)

Ford Zodiac, MkI & MkII

Ford V8 Pilot (assuming I could get one RHD).

For bikes, I'd be happy with a c1916 motor-bicycle repro, a vintage BSA Bantam, a current model Royal Enfield Classic 500, and possibly something like an early 70s Honda 350.

I'd also enjoy a couple of bicycles - a Chinese Flying Pigeon; a nice, ballon-tyre beach-cruiser type; a Brompton folder that I could take places with me if I was gonig somewhere bike-theft is a problem.

Based on this, I rather suspect I'd also need to buy a warehouse for storage purposes.....

Yup Edward, I'm with you there, I'm super chuffed with my Wested Indy, they're fantastic jackets and as you point out so very versatile. I got mine in the soft seal cowhide which I'm super happy with, it drapes exactly like goat but builds up wear and starts a patina quicker. It's funny, I've had more positive comments from people about it than my other jackets put together!

And nice call about the Morgans, a Moggie is actually realistically what I want to get seeing as the Blower Bentley I posted earlier is nigh on impossible to attain - plus it's my wife's favourite, and she's always saying we'll have to get one!

Fun thread BTW.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points