Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Darhling should do _______ with her hair.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
MissS said:
Hmm, how about some wigs? Lotsa fun!
Wigs are fun! I wore a wig to work last year for Halloween. I went as a surfer dude, and many of the people I work with didn't even know who I was!

/end threadjack

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Wigs you say - I am afraid my hair is so thick and there is so much of it, trying to mush it under a wig will make it look like the wig is floating half a foot above my head! lol

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
ShrinkingViolet said:
Just wanted to add that permanent black hair dyes contain PPD which is TOXIC and highly allergenic! Better stay away from that stuff.

oh yes, I have seen awful pictures of those who have had allergic reactions.. another reason to stay brunette.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
The problem I've seen with dyed black hair is that it doesn't necessarily suit one's skin tone. I think we've all seen that death-warmed-over look.

You might try on a black wig (even if you can't get all your hair under it) and see how it looks on in bright sunlight. If it looks terrific, I think a brown-black dye would work better than a blue-black, which would look natural only on someone of Asian or Native American descent.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It doesn't come out!

I dyed my hair blue-black for about 5 years, and when the time came to go back to my natural color, no amount of bleach or lightening stuff would take out the dye. We even sent hair to the Clairol labs and they couldn't get it out either.
I think black hair can look stunning, if you have absolutely line-free, young skin. Once you start showing the ravages of time, it calls attention to them.
So I stopped dying mine black at 25.
I have to cut off all my hair (it was waist length) and start over, and for about a year, I had to have two-tone hair so I wouldn't have to go really short.
Not recommended unless you really, really want it black.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Miss 1929 - how awful, I know what it feels like to get waist-lenght hair get cut off or having your hair ruined.. Thank to everybody for sharing the good and bad experiences.. Makes me think twice.

Rockapin-up

A-List Customer
I'v dyed my hair black a few times, I didn't keep it up and it just faded out the last time I did it and it was permanent dye. After it faded I got bored with black and went with a chocolate brown. It's been awhile since I dyed my hair and it's back to my natural color. I'v been thinking about dying it again since I have a streak of white hair on top of my head towards the front that I'v had since I was 17. I'm 28 and don't like looking older than I really am.

I think your hair looks lovely the way it is, but I know we all feel we need a change sometimes, so like already suggested try a wig or a semi-permanent dye. Good Luck:)

SarahLouise

Practically Family
I like the colour as it is, perhaps try a richer shade of dark brown first before going black but of course it's totally up to you whether you take the plunge! As everybody else has suggested, definitely use semi-permanent as permanent black is a nightmare to get rid of. I had black hair for 7 years and was bored of it so decided to go chocolate brown just before Christmas. It took two expensive salon visits where my hair was stripped several times, the ends were bleached and my hair was dyed about four times to get the colour I wanted.

I've since had chocolate brown, auburn brown and a dark brown but never really liked any of them so had my hair dyed back to black the other day! Semi-permanent, of course. I think black hair suits me and my colouring. I don't regret going back because now I can say I've tried brown hair and discovered it wasn't for me, even though I am naturally a brunette. I am absolutely LOVING having black hair again!

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
I also think you have a lovely hair color already. If I had that hair color, it would make me a very happy person! I would say leave it as is, but that isn't very adventurous is it.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Black hair isn't an adventure.....it is a commitment.

I have naturally red hair and have become a slave to my black hair. Although it is now fading to a nice cherrycoke colour.

Your hair color is fantastic though...!

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
desi_de_lu_lu said:

I have naturally red hair and have become a slave to my black hair. Although it is now fading to a nice cherrycoke colour.

Desi, black hair suits you so very well - one of the inspirations for my thoughts about dying my hair.

Thank you all so much for your kind words and compliments!

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Darhling said:
Desi, black hair suits you so very well - one of the inspirations for my thoughts about dying my hair.

Thank you all so much for your kind words and compliments!

Thank you Darhling....

I will not lie to you. I LOVE my black hair and am happy to be a slave to it... Nothing has made my complexion look lighter. I always thought my red washed me out.

THen again, what do I know... :eek:

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I'm a redhead, too, and I recently dyed my har black and I LOVE IT! It will make your skin look lighter and it will really bring out your eye colour (especially if they are light blue like mine.) Mine also fades to a "cherrycoke" colour (great description, by the way:) ), but by then I have an inch of roots and need to dye it again anyway.

I dyed my hair black for the first time in 1994. I had longer hair then and I absolutely HATED it. I spent $100 at a "high end" salon to get it stripped and dyed back my natural red. It looked terrible! First of all, it wasn't red, but rather that horrible orangy-red that very dark haired people sometimes get when they try to go blonde. And when I got home to brush it, it just broke right off in gobs on the brush. I had a big hole in my hair. I cried.

So black hair really is a commitment and you have to really want it. It is hard to get rid of if you get bored easily. I think you look fine the way you are, though :)

MissS

A-List Customer
desi_de_lu_lu said:

Wow, desi, I wouldn't have picked you for a natural redhead! Can I persuade you to post a 'before' shot? I'd love to see the difference, as I can't quite picture you with anything but black hair - tis so perfect for you!

Rachael

A-List Customer
in general defence of semi-permanent hair color:
I have dyed my hair several times over the last few years, and it has always washed out. Because I do love my natural hair color I would never do anything permanent but it can be fun to try something for a change.

I have gone with a very dark brown which appears black against pale skin for several costume events and plan to do so again for Halloween this year. I used Clairol Natural Instincts "nutmeg" for a black look and "spiced tea" for red. The red did tend to stay brassy longer than I wanted but it went away with the next black dying.

My hair is naturally a dark brown/auburn similar to yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy