Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Darhling should do _______ with her hair.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I am thinking about going black - righ now it is a very rich/dark brown

my haircolor now

DSC_0179.jpg

so you can see my coloring

Foto65.jpg

MissMissy

One of the Regulars
I think you would look fabulous with black hair. I used to dye mine black but I had a real problem with it getting very brassy toned so I went back to natural. I didn't have the energy to keep it up.

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
Your hair is lovely and I'm sure it would look nice black, but I'd have to say no, you shouldn't dye it. At most, dye it the darkest brown you can find, but not black. Black is terribly difficult to get rid of once you start dying it. You'd probably have to lift it out, even just to go back to brown. Because of this I don't think it's worth it.

Blondie

Practically Family
I would leave it brown, it really suits you, and from everything i have read black is nearly impossible to get out if you change your mind.

sixsexsix

Practically Family
you could always use a non-permanent dye to test it out first? they usually come out after 10 washes.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
your hair looks like it's about as dark as mine. when i was younger i dyed it black sometimes with a semi-permanent dye. my hair was so dark anyway that it was very low-maintenance. i second the suggestion of starting with semi-permanent to see if you like it!

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I would definitly start with a semi-permanent color! For those of you who have tried the black semi-permanent ones, which ones can you recommend? I am thinking the Loreal gloss one.. you know Penelope Cruz says 'Glossy glossy' in the commercial :)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
sixsexsix said:
you could always use a non-permanent dye to test it out first? they usually come out after 10 washes.

No, most semi-permanent dyes don't completely come out of your hair, especially if they are dark colors like black. Black semi-perm dye usually fades out to a gross greenish color. I would really highly advise against it.

artful dodgette

One of the Regulars
ive pretty much dyeed my hair every colour under the sun, and i used to go from black to blonde to red to black to white all the time, with not much trouble....

im a natural blonde and have kept my hair black for two years now, colouring with semi permanant and ive had no troubles at all, when it fades, it fades close to your natural colour so i don't think you'd hve any problems! id say go for it!!!

Adele

One of the Regulars
I would say leave your hair as is. Though in the same token, I could also understand wanting to dye your hair for change/fun. Heck, I'm thinking about dying my hair a chocolate brown.

I can't say for semi-permanent, but should you ever want to go with permanent, I highly recommend "Black Pearl" by Clairol. That's the one I used in my teenage years when I dyed it black and it was the richest black I found.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Personally, I like your color as is, it's beautiful! but I understand wanting a change, so my opinion on that is, if you can find L'oreal Color Pulse, they have an Electric Black color. It washes out in about 4-8 shampoos. I've used the red, burgundy and copper colors, and they are all real nice. Give great color, shine and conditioning. Good if you want it to be temporary, bad if you like it to be permanent because you'll be doing it all the time (even though it is rather easy!) It is in a little can and comes out like mousse. Skinny orange box.
Google L'oreal Color Pulse for more info. :)

jayem

A-List Customer
Darhling, your hair is a gorgeous shade as it is! If you want a change, I say go for it... but you cant get those highlights with black hair.

I have a very dark (but ashier instead of redder) shade of natural brown hair like you, and I used to dye it black often. Even with semi-permanent, it is next to impossible to get out. In order to completely remove it, you need to strip it... which absolutely ruins your hair. I would say leave it because its gorgeous... but again, if you're craving that change go for it. Just be prepared to go through a lot of work to remove it.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Now that's a tough one. I love black hair, but your hair looks perfect as it is. Gah. I would have to see it to say, but I guess it would be too late to offer advice then, wouldn't it?

Just call me Mister Helpful.

miss_elise

Practically Family
from a purely selfish, forum, point of view... don't dye it black... details in black hair never come up very well in photos, especially if we're trying to see the fab vintage stylings...

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
artful dodgette said:
im a natural blonde and have kept my hair black for two years now, colouring with semi permanant and ive had no troubles at all, when it fades, it fades close to your natural colour so i don't think you'd hve any problems! id say go for it!!!
I'm a natural blondish brown and my black never faded at all. I had to strip it/grow it out to get rid of it to get it back to brown. I guess everyone's hair works differently, just be careful.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
why can't everybody either say no or yes.. this is not helping! :) I don't know.. I am going to touch up my roots with a dark brown for now. Maybe black is too harsh for me. As someone said, it is difficult to get the same highlight effect in black hair.

EDIT : it is not as reddish as it it seems, it is the very strong flash in my camera.. it is more chocolaty in real life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy