Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Darhling should do _______ with her hair.

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Laura Chase said:
No matter how fabulous your long locks are, the short ones will be as well, and you'll appreciate the change, I'm sure, and also the versatility of a middy cut. If you miss the long hair too much, then just take some silica pills and it will grow back very fast. And Anna (ShrinkingViolet) has found a fabulous, very vintage-minded hairdresser in Copenhagen that you can get the cut from.

I agree. John from Salon Ydun is where it's at!

grey ghost

One of the Regulars
Dahling,

A change is always fun....but know when one is naturally attractive, hair length will not change that........

go for it

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Darhling said:
Desi - do you know the measured size of those permrods? I doubt we will have the same brand here..

I know, my bangs, I love them, it made such a huge difference when I got them, because they suit my long hair great.

Today at the Scandinavian Beauties get to gether, Cherry Lips told me about a book she had bought on amazon about long hair styles from the fifties, I might have to get a look in that book before I do anything.

I also really think about texture, my hair isn't suited for above shoulder lenght hair, it will simply curl up and be a huge mop of curls on top of my head.. On the other hand I think my layers are too long.. argh I dont know.. I simply don't know. But maybe a shorter version of my hair now would be pretty, that the curls will start further up (or maybe that only looked good in Flashdance!)

The perm rods are 1/2 in diameter and I also use the 1" diameter ones as well.

Ok, I know everyone is saying it will grow back, but also think why you grew it long in the first place. Long hair, especially the way you had it styled in the picture you originally posted (the shot from the back, in the mirror) sets you apart.

I just hate to see you be unhappy with a dramatic cut. Yes it grows back, but you will cry in the corner if you go too short and realize "oh, crap..this is going to take a while.."

Play around with long hair styles first...you may find a happy accident that you fall in love with.

Desi

p.s. yes, texture. that is why I keep mine long. I look like a cartoon when I cut my hair shorter, I seriously look like a bell with bangs. If I had to do anything, I would probably get a few layers, just so there is a variety to the curl placement.

Again, that is my well meaning advice, ultimately it is up to you.

Sunny

One Too Many
The Shirt said:
Also have you tried re-creating a faux bob by pinning it under? I take mine (about 2" below shoulders and can make it look like its just below my ears.
:eek:fftopic: How on earth do you do this?! I love this look, but despite my years and years of dealing with long hair, I cannot fathom how to get it to stay.

Sunny

One Too Many
desi_de_lu_lu said:
I use the peach colored perm rods on my hair and I get such a tight curl (even when I brush it out) that it takes nearly 8 inches off my length. I mean, that makes the difference between hair that is waist long to hair that is just above my bra strap!
I've had a similar experience, except that I can't even begin to brush it out. It rapidly turns into a frizzy, tangled mess no matter what I do. How do you handle it?

I'm afraid I can't offer much advice, Dahling, since my hair's been pretty much like Lola's. Except that mine's still in the length of her intermediate cut. :) It certainly did make a difference when I trimmed it from past my waist, since I've never been able to really curl my hair when it's that long. I can do rolls, though, with very long hair.

The Shirt

Practically Family
Darhling -
I don't have photos of a faux bob currently. However - I do remember it being rather popular for one of the awards shows last year. It may be a bit tougher with really thick hair as it might "mushroom". I simply curl it as normal, finger brush mine out and then pin it under to the top of my nape to get the effect usually.
Another way I have tried - is that I will roll the back bottom layer first with super hot rollers. (I do have layers in back). I will leave these in for a good 10 mins longer than the rest of the hair. Then I roll the rest. It seems to keep a very tight curl and I take and pin the over layers to the back of my nape. My hair is substantially shorter than yours though.

I think your hair and Lolita's is similar. Perhaps just going in increments and keeping the layers will allow you to try a few more things out. Good luck!

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Sunny said:
I've had a similar experience, except that I can't even begin to brush it out. It rapidly turns into a frizzy, tangled mess no matter what I do. How do you handle it?

I'm afraid I can't offer much advice, Dahling, since my hair's been pretty much like Lola's. Except that mine's still in the length of her intermediate cut. :) It certainly did make a difference when I trimmed it from past my waist, since I've never been able to really curl my hair when it's that long. I can do rolls, though, with very long hair.

I Brylcreme my hair before I roll it, and I use end papers on it. I often mist it with a spritz of VO5 detangler. ( I do not do wet sets because it would take longer to dry than a nuclear winter.)

When I take them out of the rollers, I undo the roll in the same way (but opposite) as I do when I roll them. Keeping the hair level, not unspiriling out like a sausage curl. Does this make sense? LOL. (Basically, don't twist.)

I also brush with my fingers first and then use a Boar bristle brush starting from the bottom of the hair and working my way up.

I swear though, its all in that brylcreme.

epr25

Practically Family
I got the bug not to long ago and chopped mine from just below shoulder length up to about my hair line in the back. Not what I wanted but what I ended up with :( so I would go maybe a couple of inches 4-5 maybe and then go shorter if you feel it's to long. I understand what you are saying though. Once you hit a certain length it's so hard to do anything different except a ponytail.

epr25

Practically Family
I forgot to mention that last Thursday I took another fit and cut bangs. I am still unsure about this. But my hubby seems to dig them so either he's being nice or telling the truth?

Sunny

One Too Many
desi_de_lu_lu said:
I Brylcreme my hair before I roll it, and I use end papers on it. I often mist it with a spritz of VO5 detangler. ( I do not do wet sets because it would take longer to dry than a nuclear winter.)

When I take them out of the rollers, I undo the roll in the same way (but opposite) as I do when I roll them. Keeping the hair level, not unspiriling out like a sausage curl. Does this make sense? LOL. (Basically, don't twist.)

I also brush with my fingers first and then use a Boar bristle brush starting from the bottom of the hair and working my way up.

Whoa! I've never done any of this except using end papers. It never occurred to me to not create a sausage curl when taking the curlers out. But that's a big factor in creating the tangles, since the hair's twisted around itself too much. Yay! I can't wait to try! How much brylcreme do you use?

And yes, wet sets take FOREVER to dry!

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Sunny said:
Whoa! I've never done any of this except using end papers. It never occurred to me to not create a sausage curl when taking the curlers out. But that's a big factor in creating the tangles, since the hair's twisted around itself too much. Yay! I can't wait to try! How much brylcreme do you use?

And yes, wet sets take FOREVER to dry!

I divide my hair into 6 sections, and use a pea sized dab on each section. I love Brylcreme...seriously, my husband may hate me for stealing it from him, but it is the difference between frizz and no frizz. I have found that the spray type of glossers, just don't work for me.

One day I was just sort of thinking.. "Hey, they didn't have all this crap back then!" (In reference to the gagillion hair products out there on the market...) I mean, how did they get fantastic hair back then without all the fuss?
I thought about what was available for hair styling products and I narrowed my supplies down to Brylcreme, a wooden comb, a Boar Bristle brush and some bobby pins. (and occasional hair spray and curling iron)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
on the faux bob...

I have thick hair...and while mine was not longer then just past shoulders....I have done this...

I had layers..and some of them were at the -bob- length.....so i clipped those on the top of my head...to get them out of the way..

All the longer hair underneath...I did what is in essence pin curls to...flat against my head....left them that way...pinned up as flat as i could.

Then released the top hair...styled it....and you really couldnt tell that the other hair was under it..

Please note, this works WAY better if you go for a wavy bob......straight and it would show...

Sunny

One Too Many
desi_de_lu_lu said:
One day I was just sort of thinking.. "Hey, they didn't have all this crap back then!" (In reference to the gagillion hair products out there on the market...) I mean, how did they get fantastic hair back then without all the fuss?
I thought about what was available for hair styling products and I narrowed my supplies down to Brylcreme, a wooden comb, a Boar Bristle brush and some bobby pins. (and occasional hair spray and curling iron)
I love the "How did they do it?" question! It totally turned around my attitude and approach in 1860s reenacting, for sure. It made getting my stuff together a lot less stressful, too! Thanks so much for your tips. Now I really can't wait to try it.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
After my horrible Dracula Look this morning, I think it is time for a trim.. I might ask my regular hairdresser if she can do a cut that suits 40's hairstyles. As much as I love my loooong hair, I have to let it go.. for now.. lol

Clara Noir

Familiar Face
desi_de_lu_lu said:

Desi Du Lu Lu, i'm all set to try this, but can you give me an idea of how long to curl it for? And what kind of rollers are best? I can't stand trying to dry a wet set for a hundred years before going out. But this I hope just might work, at least well enough for snood curls!

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Desi - I havent gotten my hair cut yet! I called my salon and my hairdresser was/is on vacation, so I 'invested' the money in a new dress. I figure I can give my long locks a few more weeks and see if I can try and make some of them.

It is funny, because I was airing my idea to some friends on friday at a party and the guys were protesting wildly and the girls were 'oh yeah, totally go for it'. What is it with men & long hair? :)

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Darhling said:
Desi - I havent gotten my hair cut yet! I called my salon and my hairdresser was/is on vacation, so I 'invested' the money in a new dress. I figure I can give my long locks a few more weeks and see if I can try and make some of them.

It is funny, because I was airing my idea to some friends on friday at a party and the guys were protesting wildly and the girls were 'oh yeah, totally go for it'. What is it with men & long hair? :)

Oh don't get me into that! ;) I heard that before I got my bob too (went from locks the same length as yours to a Louise Brooks bob). Men always thought I should keep the hair (except my boyfriend who is cool). But I just felt that I was trying to hide under my hair, and I discovered that the argument I was using to myself was "Well, if I don't have anything else attractive, at least I have my long hair to get attention from men.", which is a very destructive way of thought. So it just had to go so I could stay.

Most men love long hair because they think it's more feminine and hair oozes sex, there is something about long locks against naked skin, that's for sure. But I also think it has something to do with the fact that's because so few women get nice short cuts. When men think short cuts they just don't have a very broad horizon, whereas women can relate to it because every women has played around with the thought of going short at some point in her life. There is a world's difference between short cuts and women probably have a more nuanced view of this and can imagine much cuter cuts than most men can (luckily, some man can). And most men really like a cute short (or shorter) cut once they see it done well.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I totally agree Laura, I have had EVERY hairlenght availible, from 10 inch longer than it is now to about 1.5 inches short.

I think that I just don't want to get shorter than my shoulders, otherwise the thickness and curls will just take over and there isnt enough weight to control my curls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum