Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Darwins Hat

Wyrd

Familiar Face
Anyon know what sort of hat that is hes wearing? Looks like a type of bowler? I quite like it, would love to get a similair style in homage of him.

darwin.jpg

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Hmmm... The crown looks too short for it to be an open crown fedora with a brim curl, so I'll hazard a guess to say it's a bowler with an exaggerated 'smile'. Can't say for sure.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Wyrd said:
Anyone know what sort of hat that is he's wearing? Looks like a type of bowler?

Hard to say. It certainly looks somewhat like a bowler, but, then again, it evolved over time...:p :p :p

It appears the brim is on the soft side. Hard to say if the crown is bowler like. I do have some old German Bowler like hats (one has a very short crown) that don't use typical Bowler like felt (will not crack) although the brims are curled Bowler like. Interesting!

Wyrd

Familiar Face
jimmy the lid said:
Hard to say. It certainly looks somewhat like a bowler, but, then again, it evolved over time...:p :p :p

:rolleyes: lol

It must be a softer bowler of some kind as people have mentioned [huh]

I wonder if such hats are still kicking about.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wyrd said:
Anyon know what sort of hat that is hes wearing? Looks like a type of bowler? I quite like it, would love to get a similair style in homage of him.

darwin.jpg
Without messing around too much in a fruitless search, you might e-mail Art Fawcett direct with the photo and ask him to estimate a cost to make the hat. I don't believe you'll ever find the like of that hat on the market.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Its a soft hat that fits close to the skull. Does not conform to any modern named forms. "Fedora" opened later in the year Darwin died and the hat has no crease(no room). Brim appears soft too. Not likely to pick this one up off the shelf or ebay. Could use a small crowned hat body for rebuilding or a custom of course.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
I'm thinking you could get a fairly low-crowned fedora with a bound brim of around 2 1/2" and pop it out to open crown and curl the brim. An Akubra Stylemaster might work. In fact, you might be able to get Everything Australian or Hatsdirect to special order a Stylemaster that's open crown.

jwalls

Vendor
There would seem to be no problem reproducing his hat, although it may have to be short blocked on a derby block.

Richard Warren

Practically Family
Do you really see a center dent in the hat labeled Fedora? I just don't see it.

Am I am to understand then that if immediately before the picture was taken, a monkey had run up to Darwin and put a dent in Darwin's hat, it would have been a Fedora?

It looks like it wasn't meant to take a crease / dent but not as rigid as Bowler. I am not sure that is the case with the mentioned Fedora assuming the crown felt is soft / pliable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart