Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

'Das Boot' Jacket

PatC

New in Town
Thanks for the welcome Paddy !

"Flip" may have a chain of shops as Kt Templar suggested, as I do recall seeing several modern jackets there with their own label and logo on them.

Thats a fine coat you have Indy Magnoli, very "Minister for Propaganda" like.

All the best,
Pat

mikepara

Practically Family
Johnny, If in Edinburgh..

johnnycanuck said:
It would be nice if I found a vintage one when I am in Scotland next week. Not to much German vintage in western Canada.
Johnny

...Go to Armstrongs. There's two shops both full of goodies 20's - 70's mainly. Biggest and best one's down the Grassmarket. Cant promise a Sub coat though, but there will be something to carry away.

29 toter

New in Town
Johnny,

Has the Wested coat come in yet? I'm thinking of ordering one and would like to hear your thoughts as wellas see some photos of the coat.

Thanks

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
It'd probably be a lot cheaper to get a full length Wermacht coat (I picked up the one I posted above for around $65 shipped) and have the length taken up professionally to a 3/4.

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
That's true... mine only had a three-roll-two closure (thought the "roll" is more of a hard fold, so it's really a two button closure with a hidden third top button). :eusa_doh:

Kind regards,
Magnoli

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No totter, the jacket has not come in yet. They are waiting on a batch of Black cowhide to come in. So I guess I will wait and see. I am still hoping it comes before the cold weather rolls in. When it does come in I will post a review.
Johnny

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
johnnycanuck said:
No totter, the jacket has not come in yet. They are waiting on a batch of Black cowhide to come in. So I guess I will wait and see. I am still hoping it comes before the cold weather rolls in. When it does come in I will post a review.
Johnny

Do they recommend cowhide for this jacket then? The original prototype I saw was made in some sort of cowhide, I think, but it was really thick and heavy (Peter said that it was the "wrong type of cowhide"). I was thinking that a goatskin might be a nice one to go for. I've seen it in distressed brown cowhide too (not so nice, but I don't like the predistressed leather much anyway).

johnnycanuck

Yes they recommend Cowhide. I asked about other black leathers and all they have right now is lambskin. I am sure if I wanted to go brown I could get it made up from Horse or goat. But I want a black one. So I guess I have to wait.... that's my story anyway.
Johnny

johnnycanuck

I got it. Looked great, not to heavy, as some people have been saying. The only thing was it was the wrong size. I have sent it back and am hoping for a quick resolution. Odd having this kind of trouble as this is my fourth jacket from these guys.
John

ofelas

New in Town
Hope your sizing issue gets resolved to your satisfaction.

When you mean "wrong size" - do you mean a regular off the rack size didn't run true or do you mean that your custom sizing over the phone wasn't quite right?

Just out of curiosity, what size did you order, and what was the sizing issue?

Any pics? I'm kind of undecided about this coat, and any insight you could provide in addition to the sparse details on the Wested site would be real helpful.

johnnycanuck

The jacket I got was a large. I usually fit a 44 in the store and it was far too small. I have no idea how they got that wrong. I sent all my usual measurements. I think Peter indicated the next one I get is going to be made to measure. But as for the jacket it is bang on. If you actually watch Doctor Who it identical in every way except the lining. The lining is black but in the show it is a gold colour. Talked to Peter and he said they can make anything I want. Any hide and any colour. Even offered a neat brown they have for there Rocketeer jacket. They have based this jacket on the Das Boot jacket that they also offer. I don’t know if they make it in grey though. This is the first problem I have had with there product. Being this is my fourth jacket from them that is not a bad track record. My two cents worth.
Johnny

johnnycanuck

I think it was black lining throughout. I called the other day and they are making a new one for me from scratch. A little nervous. Being it costs $100 Canadian to ship it over I don't want to do that again. But I have had two other jackets made up without a problem So everything should be fine.
Johnny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred