Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

'Das Boot' Jacket

matei

One Too Many
It is a cool jacket indeed (and Eccleston as the Doctor is tr?© cool as well).

I had a very, very similar jacket about 10 years ago. It was a French policeman's surplus jacket. I got it in brand new condition, but it started to wear very quickly. Like a dunce I sold it for a song, as I didn't realise how cool a beat up, weathered jacket looks.

I am interested in picking one up meself. I need (yeah right says the wife) a heavier leather jacket for the cold weather.

I think I saw one in Wested's shop when I was out there to pick up a Raiders-esque jacket, but I didn't realise what it was.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When I saw it I thought my wife would give me grief for thinking of getting another jacket. In the last two years I have bought two Indy Jackets from them. Cowhide for winter, Goat for spring and fall. Not so much because it was an Indy jacket but because it was a tailor made jacket for the same price as one off the shelf. But to my surprise she almost encouraged me. Damn I love that woman. I just wanted to see what other people thought of it. If anyone has bought one. Opinions and all that.
Johnny

Bart

Familiar Face
Das Boot Jacket

Look in Traders of the Lost Surplus, there are black and gray leathers, which are supposed to be vintage or reproductions.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
See here...

4a_1_b.jpg
f5_1_b.jpg

This is a typical German civilian style- '30s and up.

"U-Boot jackets" were similar, repeat, similar.

I have had several of these and still have one.

See this thread here-

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=3519&highlight=latest+vintage+leather

B
T

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Original U-boot crew jackets were grey leather, which makes them rather distinctive. After a while, the grey would start to wear off in places resulting in a jacket which is colored in a mix of grey with brown in the places with the highest wear.

The East Germans basically kept producing the U-boot jacket for quite a while, and they used to be available here although I haven't seen any in a long while. A friend of mine has one, however, and it is really cool.

29 toter

New in Town
I ordered and received horsehide samples from Wested as I too am interested in the Das Boot- Doctor Who coat. They were prompt in sending out the samples and were quick to answer any questions I had. I also found that the coat could be ordered in goat skin as well. Wested uses horsehide that is 2.5oz. - 3oz. and they said that the goat skin they use is much lighter weight.

I've not decied yet as to the Wested version or the Bad Wolf version.

Bad Wolf, only uses cow leather, and of that there is no option for a heavier weight leather. Still it lookes like like it may be a more accurate reproduction, if more than twice the cost. Personally one thing that has bothered me about Bad Wolf is that in the one email I did receive from them, they were unable to tell me what weight leather is used in to make the coat. I have now written three times for samples (to measure weight and see in person the color of brown) with no reply.

If you buy one of these coats please post what you think of it. Thanks

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
Bad Wolf is an amateur who went round all the leather makers in the UK getting samples made from each without any knowledge of what he wanted.

When one came in looking like the one he liked he doubled the price and started selling it himself.

Personally I'd save the money, choose the leather I want and go with Wested at half the price, after all it's better dealing direct than through a middle man.

BTW Wested DO NOT make the Bad Wolf Jacket. Bad Wolf mis-specified the jacket he ordered from them and then dissed it for being too tough. I saw it, it was a cowhide and looked like plate armour!

matei

One Too Many
I've got a goatskin "Raiders" jacket from Wested. It is tough. Goatskin is one tough leather. Softer than the horse, but much tougher than the lamb.

I would love a jacket like this in either horse or goat. Methinks perhaps it'd be too heavy in horse. I almost got a Raiders jacket in horse - and it weighed a ton! The only reason I changed my mind was that Wested were out of horse, and it'd be a while before it was back in stock.

johnnycanuck

Good day all.
I looked at the vintage jackets (e-bay and some surplus stores) but the price difference was to small to justify buying a used jacket rather then a new one. Also I already have a positive history with Wested, so I took the plunge and ordered one the other day. When I called them they did not mention anything about different choices in leathers, just colours. As for sizing it is off the rack so I ordered a large (44) in black. I already have a cowhide jacket so I know what I am getting into. I also have a Goat hide from them so if anyone has questions about the leather I can answer them if they want. They said it will be about two weeks for it to ship so I should be getting it in about a month. I can post a review then if anyone is interested. As for the bad Wolf jacket...... not knowing who makes it, especially for that price, put me off.
Johnny

matei

One Too Many
Do let us know how it turns out.

I had a positive experience with Wested, in spite of the bad press they sometimes get. Peter was a helpful guy and I've got no complaints with my jacket.

The Bad Wolf jacket does indeed look nice though. I wonder what the differences are between the Bad Wolf jacket and the Wested one?

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
This is the "plate armour" (cowhide) prototype. As you can see the buttons are misaligned but the jacket seems sound enough. It's missing the button holes on the lapels but I think they've added those now.

The lapels have too much of a V between them than the lower one should start below the chest detail and curve upwards.

I think this would look pretty special in black goat or lamb. Probably goat would hold its shape better.

Oh, I also put it on the 'female' tailors' dummy so that might not help either!

johnnycanuck

Yes I will post a review and try and get some pictures up when it comes in. I have seen pictures of one of the jackets from November 2004 and they had fixed the front of the jacket but not the back. I have confidence it looks bang on by now. It is a shame they don't have pictures of the actual jacket they make on line. I guess it will be a surprise when it gets here.
Johnny

29 toter

New in Town
What were some of the surplus/ vintage sites that you found? I haven't seen many coats of this style around and wold like to see what else is out there.

Thanks

29 toter

New in Town
Thanks for the tip. I just spent two hours on the net looking around. It's difficult to find these coats. And for me it seems especially difficult to find things in my size 38. I'm 5'9" 123 lbs.

I 'll wait to see the wested review on the Dr. Who/ U-Boat coat, if it's good I'll most likely order one.

Thanks

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
29 toter said:
Thanks for the tip. I just spent two hours on the net looking around. It's difficult to find these coats. And for me it seems especially difficult to find things in my size 38. I'm 5'9" 123 lbs.

I 'll wait to see the wested review on the Dr. Who/ U-Boat coat, if it's good I'll most likely order one.

Thanks

Last time I was there, I picked out a jacket on the work rail, "Oh, is that a Doctor Who?".

Gerry: "Nah, that's a U-boat.".

So they differentiate between the two and I have no idea what the difference is. Just to confuse matters further! :)

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
29 toter said:
What were some of the surplus/ vintage sites that you found? I haven't seen many coats of this style around and would like to see what else is out there.

Thanks

There's a reason why there aren't a lot of vintage U-Boot jackets around.
Of the 40,000 Germans that served on the boats only about 4000-6000 made it back home.

I highly recommend the directors cut of "Das Boot". Amazing film.

Nice jackets though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner