Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dating etiquette

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Doran said:
Oh ... you know how it is. Former best friend who became a rockabilly rather suddenly, was jealous of my academic progress, started doing steroids to buff up, became insanely aggressive, went into law, is now a rockabilly lawyer living in LA. One of those enemies. We each have one.

I thought it was one of those Historical academic conference, one person sites a reason for the start of the polyponesian war, someone else corrects a date, someone else postulates an alternate cause, words are said, punches are thrown, and you spend the rest of your lives making snide remarks about each other's theories in academic journals and at faculty dinner parties.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
reetpleat said:
Doran said:
I thought it was one of those Historical academic conference, one person sites a reason for the start of the polyponesian war, someone else corrects a date, someone else postulates an alternate cause, words are said, punches are thrown, and you spend the rest of your lives making snide remarks about each other's theories in academic journals and at faculty dinner parties.

I wish that happened more at the academic conferences ... that would be awesome. Thing is, what would you do if a female academic's theory conflicted with yours? You can't punch a woman!

Allegedly Brent Shaw at U. Penn (Roman historian) was told that if he ever came to England, a scholar to whom he had given a bad review would physically assault him!

It's nice to know the grayest of bodies have red blood.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Doran said:
reetpleat said:
I wish that happened more at the academic conferences ... that would be awesome. Thing is, what would you do if a female academic's theory conflicted with yours? You can't punch a woman!

Allegedly Brent Shaw at U. Penn (Roman historian) was told that if he ever came to England, a scholar to whom he had given a bad review would physically assault him!

It's nice to know the grayest of bodies have red blood.

As a single guy, I would invite her out to dinner for a rousing discussion of the various points then go for one of those spencer tracy or Cary Grant, she hates you till you kiss scenes.

I would think an English scholor might invite him to a duel.

I shall have to be sure and not offend The Baron anymore.

Dr Doran

reetpleat said:
Doran said:
As a single guy, I would invite her out to dinner for a rousing discussion of the various points then go for one of those spencer tracy or Cary Grant, she hates you till you kiss scenes.

What if you don't want to kiss her at all? We're talking about people (female people, in this case) in ACADEMIA here ... very few head-turners. Some, but very few.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Doran said:
reetpleat said:
What if you don't want to kiss her at all? We're talking about people (female people, in this case) in ACADEMIA here ... very few head-turners. Some, but very few.

Too bad. I assumed it was all about those nerdy looking gals that wear dark framed glasses and their hair up, bu then they take off the glasses and let the hair down and she is a beautiful actress.

I knew there was a good reason not to go into acedemia.

On the other hand, there are co-eds.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Worse date ever...

My date took me to the county fair, which was nice enough, except for one thing.

He was so cheap and didn't want to spend any money on "fair food" that he wanted to eat lunch before we entered the fair in his car. So there we sat eating warmish turkey sandwiches that he packed in his cooler, and warmish drinks and equally warmish potato salad.

I politely declined to eat my food, stating that I would save it for later.

Once inside the fair grounds, we strolled up the midway and he wanted to ride some rides, so we boarded the Scrambler and screamed our heads off....

Moments after departing the Scrambler my date looked a little green and asked where the nearest bathroom was...which was a good hike away. I pointed him in the right direction, but he never made it. The poor guy vomited all over his hands and shoes as his warmish lunch came back up.

Needless to say, that date ended pretty quickly. I don't know who was more embarassed, he or I. :(

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Warm mayonnaise + twisting ride = bad date. :eusa_doh:

This wasn't a date, but a former coworker of mine was giving blood, and then threw up and passed out in front of a good-looking girl.

Serafina

New in Town
Doran said:
Oh ... you know how it is. Former best friend who became a rockabilly rather suddenly, was jealous of my academic progress, started doing steroids to buff up, became insanely aggressive, went into law, is now a rockabilly lawyer living in LA. One of those enemies. We each have one.

:eek:fftopic: Are you talking about Matt Steven's brother?

dnjan

One Too Many
reetpleat said:
Doran said:
Too bad. I assumed it was all about those nerdy looking gals that wear dark framed glasses and their hair up, bu then they take off the glasses and let the hair down and she is a beautiful actress.
Nope - it's only the men in academia who are overwhelmingly goodlooking. :D

Barbigirl

Practically Family
scotrace said:
Most idiotic thing I ever did on a date: In the clutches of major kissing, I called the person by the wrong name. Instant, horrified, spine-freezing terror. Miraculously, she didn't seem to hear it, or it was garbled enough. But wow. Trying to explain why I thought my heart had just stopped....

That is why you are supposed to keep it general: Honey, Baby, Sugar, Doll, Pussycat, Kitten

I think it can be just as suspect, when you are having a lively discussion not necessarily in romantic throws and call your current the wrong name.

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
Ohhh....Dutchess is good.

A little bit :eek:fftopic: but I have a question: I have on occasion (sp?) out of the blue called my significant other the wrong name and just any wrong name. Bob. I didn't know, dated, had a prior or clandestine romance, worked with, or had a brother named Bob. But there I blurted out the mythical "Bob" at him. :eusa_doh:

What on earth is that about?

Dr Doran

My parents used to call any son all the sons' names. Same thing I guess. I told myself I would never ever do that.

Dr Doran

Serafina said:
:eek:fftopic: Are you talking about Matt Steven's brother?

He's not REALLY an enemy; that was a stretch. We just don't talk anymore. I am still on fine terms with the rest of their family.

PM me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails