Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dating Stetson boxes

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Who is knowledgeable enough to date Stetson hat boxes? Here are the versions I own...

stetsonbox_w_handle.jpg

Age?? 1950s??

stetsonbox_red_gold.jpg

Age?? 1960s?

stetsonbox_white.jpg

I assume this one is from the 1970s. No bar codes on it, but a computer driven tag does appear on it. (I have three of this era)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Well here's my Stetson St. Regis' box. It's more plain and worn than some of yours. The hat itself is supposedly dated by some members to be late 1940s, to early 1950s. Is the box's date in line with the hat's, you think?

Photoon2010-10-22at2043.jpg

It bears the same logo pattern and Stetson name all around it's round shape.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Jimmy the Lid can likely tell you this information.

Well, I'll give it a try.

Snyder's "Stetson Hats" Book can often be a good source of info, and, Mobile Vulgus, it is most useful in addressing two of the hat boxes you have posted.

The first box in your post is exactly the same hat box that Snyder identifies as having been addressed to Mayor Richardson Dilworth of Philadelphia back in the day. Dilworth was Mayor of Philly from January 1956 to February 1962. My own sense is that this particular style of hatbox (including versions in different colors) dates fairly solidly to the late 50's.

The second hat box appears in a photo in the Snyder book that dates to 1965. I have always associated that particular hat box with the early/mid 60's.

As for the last box, I have no concrete information. That being said, I have always tended to view that particular box as dating to the 70's. Carouselvic may have a take on that one...

Dating hat boxes can be tricky, since, over time, vintage lids are generally separated from their original boxes. Sometimes, however, one is lucky enough to come across a hat that can be definitively tied to a particular date, and where other evidence links the hat to the box (like an address label combined with a receipt). Vintage advertising can also help, as hat boxes sometimes appear in ads and can be dated in that fashion. Other evidence can include particular logos or logotypes that can be traced to hats or advertising tied to particular dates.

In any event, hope that helps.

Cheers,
JtL

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Well, I'll give it a try.

As for the last box, I have no concrete information. That being said, I have always tended to view that particular box as dating to the 70's. Carouselvic may have a take on that one...

Dating hat boxes can be tricky, since, over time, vintage lids are generally separated from their original boxes. Sometimes, however, one is lucky enough to come across a hat that can be definitively tied to a particular date, and where other evidence links the hat to the box (like an address label combined with a receipt). Vintage advertising can also help, as hat boxes sometimes appear in ads and can be dated in that fashion. Other evidence can include particular logos or logotypes that can be traced to hats or advertising tied to particular dates.

In any event, hope that helps.

Cheers,
JtL
I do have a 1984 Hat(IJ w/match exterior box label) in that third box but don't know the full period of usage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21