Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dating Suits, in general.

Charlie Noodles

A-List Customer
I want to learn how to date suits, suits from any period. Can you please direct me to any good sources of information that would give me a good practical knowledge without having to read over a great deal of text?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
To my knowledge, Charlie, there is no source available that doesn't have a great deal of text to it. Wish I could say otherwise.

The classic reference (IMO) is the long out-of-print Esquire's Encyclopedia of 20th Century Men's Fashions, which you might be able to find in your local library's reference section. Used copies sell for $500 and up. (It's 709 pages long.)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Charlie Noodles said:
All right, thanks. $500? I wonder if many of those used copies being sold were 'liberated' from said libraries?

There are a lot of ex library copies on the market. Some of them were officially decommissioned; some, not. lol

Generally, the library copies in really good condition go for around $500, sometimes a bit less. The non-library copies in excellent condition have fetched several hundred dollars more. In short, it's a rare and desirable book, even though the fashions within it stop at 1972.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
There are a lot of ex library copies on the market. Some of them were officially decommissioned; some, not. lol

Generally, the library copies in really good condition go for around $500, sometimes a bit less. The non-library copies in excellent condition have fetched several hundred dollars more. In short, it's a rare and desirable book, even though the fashions within it stop at 1972.

I don't imagine anyone would care much about it after 72. In fact, it may well ring more if it stopped at , say, 1968.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff