Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dating Vintage Stetsons by Liner: A Field Guide

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

A close-up photo of the Stetson panama hat's embroidered logo:

Panamalogo.jpg

Landman

One Too Many
Stetson Open Road $15.00 Price Tag

I recently purchased this older Stetson Open Road with a Last Drop Liner and a $15.00 price tag in it. The photos are not very good because I used a cell phone camera and don't do the hat justice. I was hoping somebody could help me date it. Thanks for your help.

Stetson_Open_Road_Last_Drop_07.jpg

Stetson_Open_Road_Last_Drop_01.jpg

Stetson_Open_Road_Last_Drop_02.jpg

Stetson_Open_Road_Last_Drop_04.jpg

Stetson_Open_Road_Last_Drop_03-1.jpg

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
All right, on Ebay I just got an old Stetson something, jet black, with very soft fur felt, no liner, but a logo on the beat-up sweat band like this one (only lacking the "No. 1 quality" words). It is stamped "The Roberts Store, Franklin, Tenn."

It's got a few holes in the top, supposedly was purchased at an estate sale in the Ozarks, and overall could qualify as an old hillbilly hat. Are any photos available of Stetson hats from:

1900-1910
1910-1920
1920-1930?

Because the brim has a pencil curl on it, I am guessing that it would have been out of style by 1930, hey even by 1920. I'd be interested to see photos of very early Stetsons in case anybody has such photos.

I have to add here that the below photo is not of the hat I bought. I'm using it from an earlier post on this thread, because I am electronic photo and technology challenged. Suffice it to say that my own hillbilly hat has the same logo as on the lining of the hat shown in the photo. The stars on that logo remind me of a World War I or (possibly) Spanish-American War era motif. Just guessing.

]
IMG_1033.jpg

Last edited:

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
US Patent Office shows Stetson first use date as 1875. They stopped that logo around 1940. Pencil curled brims have never gone out of style.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
US Patent Office shows Stetson first use date as 1875. They stopped that logo around 1940. Pencil curled brims have never gone out of style.

Lefty has a black Stetson nutria hat with pencil curl brim that mine would look like if blocked that way, so mine could be from whatever era that one is from. I can't tell which fur felt my hat has, I only know that it's maximum soft. I would've thought pencil curls went out of style with Woodrow Wilson, but I don't know at all.

Annixter

Practically Family
While I have this hat, I figured I'd contribute to the thread. From the earlier discussion (either here or in the sweatband thread) about the 1940s transition from the older "Royal Stetson" sweatband script to a newer script, the hunched-over beaver, and the crest with stars rather than a maple leaf, I believe this is from the early to mid 1940's. Unfortunately, the factory tags are located under the liner, and I'm trying to sell the hat and don't want to disrupt the liner.

973aed00.jpg

1dce807d.jpg

82a24f73.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart