Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dating Vintage Stetsons by Liner: A Field Guide

Chinaski

One Too Many
Anyone know where this fits in?

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

I'd be interested in any feedback on dating this hat. Thanks for any and all replies.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
A pretty early Stetson derby: low crown, vent holes in the crown and the bow on the right side.

earlyStetsonderby001.jpg

No liner, so that doesn't help us. Looks like a logo had been glued to the top of the crown at one time.
earlyStetsonderby004.jpg

Ever seen a Stetson logo like this?
earlyStetsonderby002.jpg

earlyStetsonderby003.jpg

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
thunderw21 said:
Thanks for the tip, zetwal. No mention of a time period on that page, unfortunately.

The book is pretty much useless for purposes of accurately dating anything! The author does suggests by way of context that he thinks it's probably early 1900s. Wouldn't you agree?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
thunderw21 said:
A pretty early Stetson derby: low crown, vent holes in the crown and the bow on the right side.

Check under the sweatband or under the ribbon. I've seen this done before and it looks like it might be the case on this one.

Does it look like the crown been cut off, a section trimmed out and the whole thing reattached with the ribbon reversed so the bow's on the women's side to convert it to a ladies hat?

Ande1964

Practically Family
Bowler

I just posted a hat with a very similar logo (and fuller crown) in the new hats thread. I would really love to date it somehow.

Anj

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman said:
Check under the sweatband or under the ribbon. I've seen this done before and it looks like it might be the case on this one.

Does it look like the crown been cut off, a section trimmed out and the whole thing reattached with the ribbon reversed so the bow's on the women's side to convert it to a ladies hat?

Dinerman, you're a prophet. That's exactly what's been done. You can see the line under the ribbon.

Chinaski

One Too Many
I know the style liner, sweat, size tag and fonts are all clues. Dinerman, for my edification, what brings you to the conclusion of mid to late 50's?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
It has the new style crest, which seems to mean post c.1950. The new rectangular size tags were introduced around 1960. The liner crest is in full color, which points towards later 1950s than earlier.

Chinaski

One Too Many
Dinerman said:
It has the new style crest, which seems to mean post c.1950. The new rectangular size tags were introduced around 1960. The liner crest is in full color, which points towards later 1950s than earlier.

Thanks, D-man.

munchausen

One of the Regulars
Stetson liner (gold)

I posted this originally in new hats, but wanted to see if others can get a bead on the date. I tried looking at the close date of Eckles Dept Store in Dodge City, but couldn't find that.

I picked up a Royal Stetson from ebay. A tad snug, so I'm wearing it now to stretch her out. A brown with black grosgrain, 7 1/4, stingy brim with Royal Stetson stamped on the sweat. Only other stamp is "Eckles" which is the department store, mind you the price tag of $14.95 is still on it. Liner is a nice gold, but from what I can see the emblem is one of the new ones (one big leaf in the top left portion of the shield) so I'm guessing it's not too old. Has a nice red feather tucked into the bow.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40839344@N02/3761820348/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4083934...n/photostream/

Anyone hazard a guess to the date and model name? The seller threw forward Playboy as a potential model but from what I've read they're not usually lined.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
DOUGLAS said:

Douglas, do you know the age of the liner shown above? I found an old Stetson Homburg today that has this liner, but with a black ring around it. Unfortunately, I couldn't take pictures.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
That liner was certainly in use in the 30's. I don't know when it made its first appearance, however.

Cheers,
JtL

billysmom

One Too Many
Stetson Excellent Quality

Since this one's fairly unusual, I thought I'd post the details here:
(Lots of details!)

OS-hat-alone.jpg
Stetson "Excellent Quality"

OS-Bow.jpg

OS-liner-logo.jpg

OS-Sweat-stamp1.jpg

OS-sweat-stamp2.jpg

OS-sweat-seam.jpg

OS-All-Tags.jpg

OS-reorder-tag.jpg

OS-Main-tag.jpg

Stats:

Brim: 1 7/8"
Crown: 5 1/4" undreased
Ribbon: 2"
Sweat: 2"
Condition: a few minor moth nibbles, but generally wonderful. Sweat's a bit brittle and separating from the reeding at one point, lining's immaculate (and a rich ivory color) Felt's substantial but light and malleable.

And definitely stylish!

Old-Stetson-Portrait-2.jpg
More details on demand ...

Sue

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner