Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dating Vintage Stetsons by Liner: A Field Guide

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
That liner was certainly in use in the 30's. I don't know when it made its first appearance, however.

Cheers,
JtL
According to the US patent office, Stetson says they first used that logo in August 1930.

buler

I'll Lock Up
billysmom said:
Since this one's fairly unusual, I thought I'd post the details here:
(Lots of details!)

OS-Sweat-stamp1.jpg

Sue​

Looks great Sue!

So from the Panama Pacific Internation Exposition (1915) stamp showing they were a medal winner..... we can assume this hat is from 1915 or later.

Sue, can you measure the brim in a few spots and let me know if its the same all the way around?

thanks
B​

billysmom

One Too Many
Mario said:
Sue, I am soooooooooo jealous! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

One day, I'll find my own 30's hat, and I'll keep it all to myself, I will! ;)

You won't keep it to yourself; you'll share with the rest of us. Or at least with Garrett and me. ;)

Sue

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Oil Silk used by Stetson in 1941

From Stockman-Farmer Supply Company 1941 cataloge...oil silk used as a sweat protector between sweatband and felt. At some point this company was known as Miller Stockman.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
carouselvic said:

From Stockman-Farmer Supply Company 1941 cataloge...oil silk used as a sweat protector between sweatband and felt. At some point this company was known as Miller Stockman.

That's interesting to know. From my research, it seems that Hat Corporation of America used oil silk in their liner tips early- to mid-'40s, too, on brands like Dobbs. Appears to have fallen out of favor by the '50s I think.

Brad

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
I was not aware of that. Stetson did not to my knowledge use it on liners until after WWII. I have seen the ads that announced the use of oil silk as a new improvement, around 1947 plus or minus one year.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Brad Bowers said:
Appears to have fallen out of favor by the '50s I think.
Brad

I have a factory store Stetson Belmont, sold April 18 1952, that still has it on the liner as well as behind the sweatband.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Now I reread your post and see you weren't talking about liner tips.:eek:

My mistake. Still interesting, though.

Brad

Kangfish

Familiar Face
Hi everyone. I've read this whole thread and haven't seen a reference to the checkerboard square liner pattern. I'm sure it's fairly modern but does anyone know when this liner was used? Two of the forst hats I bought have this liner. One's a Royal Stetson Ivey League and the other is a 4X Open Road. Thanks for any info. - KF

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
i didnt see any black liners
iqd5sm.jpg

50jr.jpg

15pfrxh.jpg

someone said the bow in the back was used mostly in the 20s and 50s im guessing this one is from the 50s
its in such good shape. if anyone knows better please let me know.

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
yes that crest seems to match , i didnt see any others in maroon ether , i wonder if these colored liners were just used in the 50s or what. so much to learn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana