Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dating Vintage Stetsons by size tag

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
AXL DEMOCRACY said:
What size would a long oval 1/8 be?

Those are some really cool photos though. Very interesting to see all the changes over the years.

It would be a long oval 7-1/8.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman said:
Definitely '40s- going by the sweatband marking having the stars in the left corner. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but if there's gold on the tag, c. 1942 or earlier. I'd say closer to '42.

Thanks, Dinerman. So far we're on the same page except for the stars? I don't see stars.

Stetson Medalist is embossed if that ads any clues. I ran across a Stetson Medalist boater claimed to be from the '20s. No pics of the sweat though.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I don't know if Stetson sold boaters under its name that it outsourced prior to 1929, but I can say that Stetson did not manufacture boaters until 1929.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
CRH said:
Thanks, Dinerman. So far we're on the same page except for the stars? I don't see stars.

Stetson Medalist is embossed if that ads any clues. I ran across a Stetson Medalist boater claimed to be from the '20s. No pics of the sweat though.

OK, I see the stars now. I compared the embossed logo to a gold labeled logo. I see it now. I need to have my eyes checked! :eusa_doh:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Sorry about the bad condition, but here's a '60s Canadian foil size tag.
P1060541.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I think Biltmore made Stetsons under license in Canada. Can anyone confirm?
They used similar foil tags and non-knotted bows.
P1060710.jpg

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When I was younger I never knew any of the Stetson daughters to date, and don't know whether they would have gone out with me anyway. But if I did know them I wouldn't have paid attention to their sizes, just as to whether they were cute.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman said:
I think Biltmore made Stetsons under license in Canada. Can anyone confirm?
They used similar foil tags and non-knotted bows.

From STETSON HATS by Snyder and unidentified Philadelphia newspaper clipping(12 March 1935)"Stetson Acquires Canada Hat Firms."
As domestic hat consumption declined, the American government's imposition of strong tariff barriers further hampered Stetson's. In 1935, as it became increasingly difficult to market their hats overseas, Stetson began setting up plants in other countries to thwart the tariff restrictions. Their first foreign plant was in Canada. Stetson "acquired a substantial interest" in the Wolthausen Hat Corporation in Brockville, Ontario. One of the largest manufacturers of men's fur hats in Canada, Wolthausen producing Brock hats and other lines known throughout the Dominion. These continued to be produced, along with Stetsons. It was the first time Stetson hats had ever been produced outside Philadelphia. Other foreign branches were soon opened in Mexico, Australia, and elsewhere.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's a Canadian Stetson tag in much better shape,
though not a close-up. This hat is no longer mine, so
I can't take a close-up. I sold it to a drunken rube in from Detroit.

4392906465_7566fb4037.jpg

Any guess as to the year of this hat, Dinerman?

Oh, okay, I'll make it easier by revealing the rest of the hat
(or try to guess from the one picture):

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=48561

This one does stump me. And I fear I'll never see another quite like it.
I would settle for something like it but one size up...

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Hey, fellas, could you at least post an estimated century of your size tags?

I'd reckon we can bicker over the decades later...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran