Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dating Vintage Stetsons by size tag

I wonder if size tags were uniformly supplied by the manufacturer? We can see a lot of variation in sweatbands and I suppose they
were often put on the hats in the hat store. I suppose this because the name of the hat store had to be embossed on the sweatband.
I guess they could have done that without removing it? Anyway, I am guessing the stores were supplied with size tags, but the stock
probably spanned a lot of years. Not to say size tags are of no use (I certainly go by them when assessing an online auction),
just that they aren't a sure thing.

Manufactures sometimes would add store / shop names to liners and sweats. Also supplied customized liners and sweats for stores / shops.

Last edited:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Here's one like feltfan's panama.
stetsonderbysizetag.jpg

from this:
stetsonderby1.jpg

stetsonderby3.jpg

Last edited:

BR Gordon

One Too Many
Any idea what years they had a union label on the back of the size tag? This from an Open Road I picked up recently on eBay.
Need to get a better shot of the union label...

Also, around when did they begin adding metric sizes?

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

70's here? 80's? 90's?

I've found the question, but could not locate the answer. Has the question, about dating hats by union labels on the back of size tags, been answered?

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Here's a butchered old bowler I picked up on the cheap. I was curious to see its details, some of which I've posted below. Judging from the size tag, it may be 1920's or earlier:
DSCF1519.jpg

The sweat is unreeded, taped, still very flexible, and has a rolled edge.
I haven't seen a sweatband logo in these old Stetson threads that matches this one, by I could've missed it:
DSCF1516.jpg

The store it came from:
DSCF1518.jpg

And this is in the front:
DSCF1517.jpg

The chopped-down crown (must've done it with a dull piece of flint!):
DSCF1523.jpg

Plenty of ventilation, factory and otherwise:
DSCF1522.jpg

The wire keeper really wants out of its grosgrain constraint and is winning the battle in places:
DSCF1524.jpg

Can't believe it fits, but it does:
DSCF1526.jpg

I'm considering gluing some felt into the crown to shore it up. Opinions?

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looks like the exact same low crown "comfort" model I sold to John Penman last year only his was in much better shape. If I remember correctly the sweatband is almost 2.5" wide! Definitely an oldie :)

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the response, Garrett.

This old beater just radiates character. I don't care how thrashed it is; I'm in awe that it's still around. I might just try to help it out a bit with a layer of felt inside to seal up the rips, then wear it as a curiosity. It's certainly a conversation starter in person. :)

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Can anyone say when they started making the square cornered size tags?

Welcome aboard ... :yo:

Your photo looks a bit like those in posts #6 and #7 in this thread. Did you check these earlier posts? Maybe they will be of use to you.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Just got this (late 50's?) Sovereign Stetson Twenty and thought I'd post a picture of the size tag. It's a bit different in that it's off-centered.

Obviously the sweat is toast, but I plan to salvage the tag and decorative bow next to it. The hat itself is in the naptha bucket right now: perfect felt, but dirty.

Liner is pretty nice. Maybe this'll be my first sweatband installation effort!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Those sweat-proof membranes wreck sweatbands all too often. Great idea, but in practice, they seem to just trap the sweat in the leather and destroy it.

Hypothesis tossed out after reflection on these two very similar early Stratoliners:

DJH's (manila/black size tag with O.P.A. notice)

D31_7325-L.jpg

Mine (gold/black size label.)

vitastrat5.jpg

The transition from gold size tag to the manila size tag coincides and perhaps accommodates the imprinted price tag used for Office of Price Administration compliance... circa 1941-42.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Hypothesis tossed out after reflection on these two very similar early Stratoliners:

The transition from gold size tag to the manila size tag coincides and perhaps accommodates the imprinted price tag used for Office of Price Administration compliance... circa 1941-42.

I concure with the conclusion. I have been working the search functions via google and the forum hard to find other examples without success. Nonetheless, I believe that you are spot on sir!

Good memory of David's fine example of this hat!

Well done. You do not need my cheers, but my desire to clap is to truly salute your successfull conclusion. Eric -

Really just some additional weight behind Dinerman's remarkably accurate timetable at the beginning of this thread... but thank you.

Ormazd

One of the Regulars
I picked up this derby on eBay a few days ago, and was trying to date it. I don't see a size tag like it in this thread. I'm guessing 20s-30s, but maybe someone has a more precise idea.

DSC_0010_zpsae143aaa.jpg

DSC_0008_zps519b52be.jpg

DSC_0014_zps1014c07a.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21