Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dating Your Hat (A Place to Discuss the Age of Your Vintage Hat)

...I know I can get away with wearing it in a more casual look, but I have no idea about suit, or sport/trench coat compatibility. Must say though, inheriting a vintage hat is a good way to get started, I know I want to get one or two more eventually.

Silverbelly Open Road style goes with everything except a tux, IMHO...same way I got started but my grandpa was still with us. My head was much bigger than his so when he passed, my brother got most of the hats. I just got the sickness....

Seth Duzan

Familiar Face
Thanks, I may do that eventually, like I said tho, I do like the sense of personality it has.. :p so is there a place where I can get more info on Disney Hats, because all the net will throw back is links to Uncle Walt's company... Lol

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, I may do that eventually, like I said tho, I do like the sense of personality it has.. :p so is there a place where I can get more info on Disney Hats, because all the net will throw back is links to Uncle Walt's company... Lol

Here's the link to the Disney Diner. It has a good amount of pics and some info on the company, but like Tom said, a search in the "advanced search" will turn up quite a bit.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?18071-The-Disney-Diner

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Splinter, double check the "Dating Stetsons by Size Tag" thread, but yours should be 50's. Looks very similar to mine, if not a bit earlier,.

Seth: I'm no Disney expert, but the plastic on the liners started appearing in the 50's and became pretty standard over the onionskin topped liners in the 60's. I second Mr. Dean's recommendation of having the sweat replaced. Keep the old one for posterity, but get a new one. Optimo hats in Chicago is a good choice, but there are any number of places to get it done (Cleanahat.com, Northwest Hats, Paul's Hatworks, Falcon Park Hattery, Buckaroo hatters, etc, etc, etc).

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Seth, based on the other Disney's I have seen and owned, I would date your hat to sometime in the mid 50's + or - a couple years. The color of the sweatband, the type of printing and the plastic liner tip covering, would place the hat in the 50's. Like Jared said, these features did appear in the 60's, but I had a 50's Disney Homburg once with very similar features. That would be my estimate.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Can there be any useful guidelines for dating a hat from the edge binding ribbon? I ask as I have one hat, that has been rebuilt in the late 1950's, no way to tell who made the original hat but the felt is soft as ever and the edge binding ribbon is very small in it's width...not even a 1/4 of an inch, the binding is in all appearance, original. The leather sweatband and hat band and liner a cleaning and reblocking is not original, being replaced in 1959...so it takes away from me knowing much more than the date of when these things had been done to the hat! I cannot find anything underneath the replacement sweatband other than a hat size tag....7 1/2!

Bump to my question on the previous page?

These are modern Borsalinos - post 1980s factory move, I believe. The Como (with its edge stitching) and Alessandria (sold open crown) models are in the line today. Bencraft Hatters has a good selection. I believe the current models no longer show the style name imprinted on the front of the sweatband, but I'm not certain about that.

milehiscott

New in Town
I have this old hat....

Grettings all. So I'm a noob here and I'm glad I found this place. There is some great stuff on this site.
I inherited my grandfather's hats some years back. I love them. I get a compliment every time I wear them. I'm hoping someone on here can help me date them. I'm guessing between WWII and 1960s. Helpful, right?

Hat 1: Brown Knox of New York. The tag inside the sweatband is rubbed out. All I can read is $20.00 and next to that 601. The union made tag fell out last weekend. Oops.

Hat 2: Grey Resistol. The tag in the sweatband has: Style: WSTCHSTR; Color: 77 Dusk;
Lot #: F4M4OOA; The union label has the number 129 over the union stamp.

Hat 1 Pictures:
Jan2013022_zpsd51ac844.jpg

Jan2013019_zps42a71cba.jpg

RTM: Ramond T. Meacham, my Grandfather

Jan2013018_zps73154316.jpg

Jan2013017_zpseb397668.jpg

Jan2013015_zps47eb9494.jpg

Jan2013013_zpsc63f306f.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Sometime in the 60's for that Resistol definitely, would not be surprised if the Knox was as well going by the price.

Most definitely 60's. Could also be VERY late 50's. The Resistol has a gray sweatband and that purple/white liner, so I doubt it could be anywhere past the early 60's. Most mid-60's and after Resistols usually have black sweatbands and different liners.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn