Dating Your Hat (A Place to Discuss the Age of Your Vintage Hat)

Discussion in 'Hats' started by MississippiLong, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Based on the way the brim & curl is reacting to your thumb pressure I don't think it's necessarily a stiff Western weight felt. Also seems to me the brim would be more beat up if it was stiff Western weight. I'm also not sure that it is a 4X but I couldn't quite bring it out. Between looking at the sweat & this pic, maybe you can.

IMG_2781.jpg

Depending on it's care history, in the extreme heat of Australia I can see how a 1960's - 1970's sweat could deteriorate quickly. The stitching looks to be in good shape. We don't know if it was sold new in Australia or brought there.

Based on how it may fit you what would you estimate the size to be? Measure inside width & length. If you want to sell it I might have an interest.

AbbaDatDeHat and Steinbockhase like this.
  2. alanfgag

alanfgag

Actually, 4X beaver quality goes back to the 1920s, perhaps earlier. This thread gets bumped from time to time, always worth thumbing through.

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  3. Hat and Rehat

Hat and Rehat Practically Family

Did you hear back on the bowler offer, deadlyhandsome, or come any closer to a conclusion on the dating? I thought it was an interesting discussion, and a cool hat.

4. alanfgag

alanfgag

Royal Stetson DeLuxe Vita Felt:

vita1.jpg

vita2.jpg

vita3.jpg

5. alanfgag

alanfgag

The 1930s estimates are good... the manufacturing label and LOTXXXX numbers might help refine. Sometimes Chestnut St. store hats have a date imprinted on the reverse of the sweatband.

hatsRme and deadlyhandsome like this.
  6. Just Daniel

Just Daniel A-List Customer

Bam. Alan with the homerun.

I think we can speculate that the Royal Deluxe Stetson (in that order) did not appear until the post-Vitafelt era, until the oilskin era at the earliest.

Maybe later this week I'll drag through the Stetson ad threads to see if some data points emerge.

Hat and Rehat and deadlyhandsome like this.
  7. yeah i could do that but it just doesn't suit me, I'm more a trad town hat person, and given the climate round here, tend to wear fine-weave vintage straws when i find em!

Hat and Rehat and deadlyhandsome like this.
  8. Hurricane Jack and Just Daniel like this.
  9. it reads as XXXX
    STETSON, no other info

Attached Files:

10. Tonio

Tonio A-List Customer

If it helps, I once owned a company store Royal Stetson DeLuxe St. Regis with a Nov 15 1947 stamp.

561F9545-43D1-41BB-9176-9AEAD6B7F7E8.jpeg 156274EA-7966-4A1A-ADCB-08F265EBA162.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  11. alanfgag

alanfgag

Sorry, talking about another hat. Your 4X is a more recent edition.

dr greg likes this.
  13. Hi
    I reckon 55-56 at best, also the brim is a lot firmer than the crown..

14. Just Daniel

Just Daniel A-List Customer

Perfect! So ‘47 goes to the Royal Stetson DeLuxe!

‘52 to the Royal DeLuxe Stetson.

Royal Stetson St Regis appear to be pre-47, which works with their Vitafelt stamps.

Awesome.

deadlyhandsome, Rmccamey and Tonio like this.
  15. Rmccamey

Rmccamey One Too Many

Has anyone ever made rhyme or reason or any logic at all to Stetson's use of actual date stamps? Most hats have nothing and then you run across old one's like this with a nice date stamped in block letters. I have a Stratoliner stampted DEC 18 1957

deadlyhandsome and Bill Hughes like this.
  16. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

Thanks, Alan. I’m constantly humbled when discussing vintage hats. There’s a big difference from what was and what I’m aware of. I sometimes overstep my knowledge even when I know I should know better. I’ve never seen a 4X that wasn’t from the 1960s or later so I’ll go back to the old catalogs. I’ve read the entire Think Tank in the past, but reading and retaining isn’t the same thing.

I can make out “4X Beaver” on the sweat of this unfortunate hat, and the debossing looks to conform to more recent Stetsons. That stripe on the sweat is also something you associate with newer hats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

17. deadlyhandsome

I can see a vague image on the sweatband that matches this debossing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The stripe on the sweatband is also something I associate with newer hats, but I’m not sure when I first appeared. Your hat still looks to be more recent than the 1950s.

Steinbockhase and Bill Hughes like this.
  18. I think he was answering Jack's size inquiry.

Here is a much older 4X that I let slip by recently.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. deadlyhandsome

Beautiful old hat, sorry you missed out.

It gets confusing when the member posting doesn’t use the quote function or otherwise identify to whom they are responding to. Maybe I just get confused easily; I work for the government you know.

BobHufford and AbbaDatDeHat like this.
  20. alanfgag

alanfgag

We are all in school together, trying to learn history from a handful of old bones. The 4x clear beaver posted above and the other day is the first (I think) early hat of this quality that I have seen. This one might be earlier than 1920. Early beaver Stetsons are rare as hens teeth.