Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dating Your Hat (A Place to Discuss the Age of Your Vintage Hat)

NovaScotia

New in Town
Good afternoon....We came across your website in our research of a top hat we found in our attic and wondered if you would be able to help us. We are not sure how old it is and were interested in finding out how to have it appraised. The hat is in the original box and is in excellent condition.... looks like it was hardly worn. It does not look to be silk, maybe beaver? Would anyone have any advice on how to research this further? Attached (I think) are three photos, included is one of what looks to be a model number with a signature of perhaps the maker which should help in the dating.

http://www.kodakgallery.ca/ViewSlide....1338818326671

Mark B.

One of the Regulars
Recently acquired a Stetson 25 Open Road. Hat has a black sweatband. Was wondering if any FL members know when Stetson stoped making the Stetson 25.

Denton

One of the Regulars
Early Dobbs Twenty Homburg

Here is a Dobbs Twenty homburg with some distinctive features. The brim curl is much higher at the sides than in front and back, but not like a bowler; the brim never curls toward the crown. The brim edge binding is thin, for a homburg. The elegant, understated ribbon bow has a frayed edge. The black felt is the nicest I have ever encountered.

The crown is just shy of 6 inches. The brim width is roughly 2 1/2 inches, measuring straight from the crown to the edge. The actual width of the brim is wider at the sides (I would say 2 7/8 if not 3) than in front and back (2 3/4), but the effective width at the sides, with the high curl, is 2 inches.

I apologize for the poor quality of the pictures. As you may or may not be able to make out, the words "Dobbs TWENTY" are embossed on the sweatband, slanted, not gilded. The name of the original owner, Anthony Martinek, is embossed on the sweatband in gold letters. No store name appears on the sweatband, I assume because Martinek purchased this hat at the Dobbs shop on 5th Avenue. According to the sales slip, Martinek's residence at the time was one of the residential apartments in the Savoy Plaza Hotel. Apartment 556, if that makes any difference.

A google search turns up one interesting possibility for Martinek's identity. Someone with that name invented a clock radio, an improved windshield, and other ingenious devices; he had a business called Martinek Devices. But I have no reason other than wishful thinking to suppose that Martinek the inventor, who seems to have been based in Pennsylvania, was the owner of this hat.

I'm guessing early 1940s or possibly late 1930s. However, after looking through the Dobbs thread on this site, I am not sure that Dobbs made a hat designated a "Twenty" so early. It's possible that this is a later production and that Martinek -- like many hat wearers -- was a little old fashioned in his tastes.

Here are my terrible pictures.

Photoon2012-06-17at1929.jpg

Photoon2012-06-17at19292.jpg

Photoon2012-06-17at1930.jpg

Photoon2012-06-17at1932.jpg

Photoon2012-06-17at1933.jpg

Any suggestions for a more accurate date?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
It looks like one of the earliest Twenties I've seen. The edge binding is typical of higher-end Cavanagh and Dobbs Homburgs from the '30s into the '50s. For a Dobbs, the frayed edge is more typical in an older hat.

What does the tag say that's sticking out from under the sweatband? I can't read it in the photo, and it's probably a big clue as to age, as it looks like a Trusize tag or an OPA or OPS tag.

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Congratulations, I think you've posted the first Hat Corporation of America hat with an OPA tag we've seen on the Lounge! (At least, I don't remember ever seeing one come up before now).

As carouselvic pointed out, that dates it to within a few years, specifically, from May 18, 1942, when the General Maximum Price Regulation (GMPR) took effect, to May 29, 1947, when the Office of Price Administration was abolished. I would place it toward the earlier of those five years based on the taped-seam sweatband.

Forgot to mention before that the earliest reference I have seen for a Dobbs Twenty is 1936, so they do go back that far.

Brad

Last edited:

Chaz68

New in Town
Just got this old Stetson Royal. It was a barn find from a picker. There was still an old department store tag with the price $11.35. Anyone
have an idea what year this could be from?

I'm new here and for some reason the site isn't letting me download pic.

Last edited:

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
I'm pretty sure you need to post a few messages before you can post pics. Perhaps it's 10, I don't know. But you need to roam around the forum and post some comments and replies so you can rack a few posts up.

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Just got this old Stetson Royal. It was a barn find from a picker. There was still an old department store tag with the price $11.35. Anyone
have an idea what year this could be from?

I'm new here and for some reason the site isn't letting me download pic.

You'll need to rack up 15 posts before you can upload pics...

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
You don't need a specific post count- you just need an external photo hosting account like photobucket, flickr, inkfrog, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner