Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dating Your Hat (A Place to Discuss the Age of Your Vintage Hat)

Lord Henry

New in Town
I'm still hoping for some potential dating info on this hat.

I just picked this up a couple days ago, I can't find much information about the manufacturer. I saw a few ads available in the google newspaper archive, but they're all in pay per view sites so I didn't get to look at them.

Front View
GoldLabel-Front.jpg

Side View
GoldLabel-LeftSide.jpg

Liner
GoldLabel-Liner.jpg

Liner Logo
GoldLabel-LinerLogo.jpg

Size Tag - On the back of the size tag, the original price tag says $11.25
GoldLabel-SizeTag.jpg

If you look closely, it is stamped "DeLuxe Quality" and below that "Aqua Shed treated for water repellency, T.M."
GoldLabel-AquaShed.jpg

Also, if you look closely, it is stamped "Genuine Beaver"
GoldLabel-GenuineBeaver.jpg

I didn't find any other tags inside the hat when I looked under the sweatband. If anyone has any information that may be useful, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

TPD166

One Too Many
This is the lining of a Stetson 7X (Open Road style - not sure if it is marked as an OR or not) - I have not received it yet. I could not find a lining exactly like it in the "dating your Stetson" thread. Any ideas on the age - I'm guessing at least 1960s from the size tag?
stetson_7x_liner.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
I have never heard of "Gold Label," but this looks like a fine old hat. The "Aquashed" is familiar from Adam hats, but their logo is different - Two Unicorns (rather than harts) astride a different shield.

winter_joe

A-List Customer
The liner has a man with a cane and it says mr. Disney on it. The specs are 7 3/4 long oval with a 5 1/2 inch crown and a 2 3/4 inch cav edge brim with an unknown ribbon treatment (at least to me).

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Nice hat, winter_joe! Great profile. Just a guess, but I'd say 50's. You could always do some research on that Aridex patent to try to narrow it down.

winter_joe

A-List Customer
Nice hat, winter_joe! Great profile. Just a guess, but I'd say 50's. You could always do some research on that Aridex patent to try to narrow it down.
The earliest I get is 1951 for the treatment in hats and that's for lee hats I've found nothing for disney though, so I say your assumption for the 1950s is correct good sir thank you. And thanks for the compliment the hat sorta took to the diamond bash, I was trying to put a c-crown in it lol.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
The earliest I get is 1951 for the treatment in hats and that's for lee hats I've found nothing for disney though, so I say your assumption for the 1950s is correct good sir thank you. And thanks for the compliment the hat sorta took to the diamond bash, I was trying to put a c-crown in it lol.

Lee produced Disney's hats after about 1943, so that's why you ran across the Lee references. Before that, Disney hats were made by Crofut & Knapp/Hat Corporation of America.

Brad

Connoisseur_BP

Familiar Face
Just received my first Cav Edge from eBay today. I'm very satisfied with it, but would like to know a little more about it. Year or whatever else you can tell me about it would be greatly appreciated:cool:

2u8l8w6.jpg

350pcwl.jpg

25imasy.jpg

9rn1qf.jpg

DJH

I'll Lock Up
C_BP, check out this thread "Dating Cavanagh Hats by Liner" which will give you some idea as to the age.

It seems the earliest your hat could have been made is the mid 50's.

From the Cavanagh Edge thread, the Cavanagh Edge stopped production in the early 70's so there is a 15 year span for you.

Someone with some actual knowledge could perhaps pin it down closer.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Cavanagh Club, Connoisseur_BP. Yep, David's right, it's late-'50 through late-'60s, and probably on the earlier side of that, judging from the width of the sweatband as it appears in the photos. They get narrower later in the decade as a cost-cutting measure.

I need to update the Cavanagh Edge Primer someday, as I've discovered the Cavanagh Edge lasted into the 1980s, coming out of the factory in Garland, TX.

Brad

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Brad, thats interesting.

Do you think felted edge bodies were still being made or maybe they were working through inventory made at the old plant?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
They were new bodies being made in Texas after 1972. The edges are plump and rounded and look different from those that came out of Norwalk. Gary Rosenthal down at the Hatco plant remembers making them a long time ago, but I think that was before he joined Hatco, if I'm remembering the conversation clearly.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred