Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dave Brown Hats

Status
Not open for further replies.

GWD

One Too Many
Mr. Lucky said:
So, what happened to innocent UNTIL proven guilty? What happened to evidence of purposeful wrongdoing? Or even REAL evidence? Aren't those fundamental precepts of the Golden Era?

My post was more of a feeling of generalness about this type of situation not this particular situation. It still warms my heart that this type of deception (which is very common these days) is not just being dismissed as business as usual. That was the point I was trying to make.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Lucky, all of this could have been avoided with just a few qualifying words.
"Mr. Brown made SOME hats for PE"
"Mr Brown made SOME hats for Buttons". etc. In the case of Buttons one only needs to look at the hat to see it's my work, so why even go there in the press?
He did the same thing on Perdition when in reality he only made the hats for Hanks, Optimo made the rest of the customs and I supplied the background hats.
Again, cyber lynching this isn't, reality check it SHOULD be. Why not answer my question friend? If I claimed something you did, wouldn't you want the record corrected?

Feraud

Bartender
If Mr. Brown cares to answer GWD's email (post#32) that will hopefully help clear things up.

Playing Devil's Advocate is a noble act but when someone post this on their site it's safe to say they are claiming to have made the hat for Depp for PE.
depp.jpg

Let's not argue for argue's sake..

Mulceber

Practically Family
I don't think anyone's claiming it's right, GWD, I think Carlisle is just pointing out that if the past seems better than the present it's often times because we're overlooking the bad parts of the past. -M

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
If Mr. Brown cares to answer GWD's email (post#32) that will hopefully help clear things up.

Playing Devil's Advocate is a noble act but when someone post this on their site it's safe to say they are claiming to have made the hat for Depp for PE.
depp.jpg

Let's not argue for argue's sake..
I would also think if he "possibly" made another hat in the movie then shouldn't the statement be with a picture other than the oxblood hat?

GWD

One Too Many
Someone once told me...." One day your going to look back on today and think...Those were the good old days."

I guess it all depends on your point of view. :)

Mulceber

Practically Family
indycop said:
I would also think if he "possibly" made another hat in the movie then shouldn't the statement be with a picture other than the oxblood hat?

The theory is that he made another hat for the movie, told the guy who designs his website that he made a hat for public enemies, and then the designer saw the pictures of the oxblood online and assumed it was the one Brown made. Whether or not that's what happened, who knows. -M

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Mulceber said:
The theory is that he made another hat for the movie, told the guy who designs his website that he made a hat for public enemies, and then the designer saw the pictures of the oxblood online and assumed it was the one Brown made. Whether or not that's what happened, who knows. -M
I can't argue that since I can barely find my way around on a site let alone set one up. But on the other hand it his site and his ultimate responsibilty for the content.

PS. I did not start this thread to cause feuding between members. I consider many friends on here. It just bothered me seeing that claim with that pic and figured someone may know the real story.

Mulceber said:
Keep in mind, gentlemen, that people looking for information on Dave Brown's hats may well google him and read these posts. We don't have 100% evidence that he sought to take credit for another's work, so until we do we should keep any insinuations about him, his training and his business practices to a minimum.

Might this be an argument in support of the posts in this thread, then? If not for them, a person who Googled the name of the business might have nothing more reliable on which to base a purchasing decision (for, say, a hat just like the one Johnny Depp wore while standing on that old car's running board while portraying John Dillinger in the film "Public Enemies") than the apparently erroneous information on that business's website.

Mulceber said:

Even if that's the way it went down (to give the person in question more benefit of any possible doubt than I would reasonably expect people to grant me), it's still his site and, as Indycop observed, it's ultimately his responsibility. And if it's wrong, it ought to be corrected at the first opportunity.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
indycop said:
PS. I did not start this thread to cause feuding between members.

You did something very necessary and very responsible.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

You are not responsible for the discussion rather you simply pointed out an issue that is clearly worth discussing. Now those who chose to follow this thread have a higher level of awareness regarding the possible pitfalls of purchasing a hat.

Well done IC!!!!!!!!!!!!
icon14.gif

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I'll just not trust the guys with color last names in New York hatting. One tells my customers stories and the other tells stories to lure customers...or vice versa!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Too bad Mr. Brown needed to have been tried and convicted in absentia, as he appears to be a pretty good hatter.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Panamabob said:
I'll just not trust the guys with color last names in New York hatting. One tells my customers lies and the other lies to customers...or vice versa!
Now, I was ready to walk away from this debate, having said my peace. That is until I read THIS post.

I don't know your personal experience, but I DO know Gary White - a NY hatter with a color in his last name. In fact, I was in his shop just last week. And, over the past few months, I've gotten to know Gary pretty well and I will defend, with the last drop of blood in my veins, his character as both a person and a craftsman! To imply, weakly and as ambiguously as you did, that he is a liar, now, that IS offensive! Opinionated? Sure! Old School? Definitely! A raconteur? Absolutely! A liar or a shady character in any manner? NO! He has been nothing but patient, kind, generous and HONEST with and to me!

Now, if you have a problem with him, tell him. I'm sure he'd be willing to work it out. But to make such accusations in a public forum. That is reprehensible. As is, in my personal estimation, a good deal of chatter in this thread.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tomasso said:
Too bad Mr. Brown needed to have been tried and convicted in absentia, as he appears to be a pretty good hatter.

That issue has already been addressed. Further, he was not tried, his information was discussed. If you would like to purchase a hat from him and let us know your experience I for one would welcome your astute comments.Perhaps you already have and would like to share.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
You may contrast the ridiculous "benefit of the doubt" here with the fuss over the Optimo "Dillinger". Merely a name given to associate with a photo of a hat for purposes of general style and color combo. No where is there any mention of Johnny Depp or "Public Enemy" or as seen in...(or licensed or associated with etc.). The other hats all have names as well. The movie wasn't named "Dillinger " either(an earlier movie was as well as the historical figure, but different hats).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay