Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dax Short and Neat - pomade or what?

TrenchGuy

One of the Regulars
So, I was visiting a shopping centre here in Finland yesterday. I visited a haircare store to check if they had some pomade as I wanted to try some. Well, it turned out they had no pomade like Murray's etc.
But they had four cans of Dax Short and neat. It was sold in a tin can and the main ingredient was petroleum jelly. It was called "light hair dress" on the can. I bought all the cans as they were on discount and I figured what the hell.

So, I was just wondering is it actually pomade or wax? It contains petroleum jelly, mineral oil, coconut oild, castor oil and parfum. It has no beeswax, though. Don't pomades usually have it?

http://www.imperialdax.com/store/products/DAX_Short_Neat-4-1.html

crwritt

One Too Many
You'll just have to see of you like it. With all that petroleum jelly and mineral oil, a little will go a long way. You may have bought a lifetime supply. I just checked out the products on their website. In addition to the one you bought, they make a nice range of products, including all natural ones.

HarlowQueen

New in Town
The Dax you have purchased is used more so for slicked back type styles as it is more of a lightweight pomade. If You are looking for something with a bit more hold and staying power, the Murray's Superior Hair Dressing Pomade really is he way to go. I LOVE the Murray's as it really does have great hold and a light, beautiful shine to it. It's heavier duty consistency but works like a hot damn.

I actually get my Murray's from the ethnic section of hair products from my local drugstore. Check around your local drugstores and you might be surprised at what you find.

HarlowQueen

New in Town
Then you have met your perfect match! Lucky Man! It took me years of trial and error to finally find a good arsenal of things that actually work for me, especially as I have very thick slightly wavy hair.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Dax Short and Neat (blue tin) is my husbands absolute favourite for slicking back hair. We never found it here so my husband had my parents send over a dozen cans from England before they moved back to Canada. I hope you like it!

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Have a look at http://www.pomade-shop.eu. They have the world's largest selection of pomades. The pomades are described beautifully so you know what to expect of them.

I myself never liked the blue Dax. It has absolutely no hold and tends to make a very greasy look. In my opinion it's best used for hair care. Used extremely sparingly it prevents dry hair, dandruff and gives a nice shine. As soon as you use a even little too much it looks oily. Might as well not wash your hair for a month and have the same effect. ;)

Jan

One of the Regulars
Check out my blog.

I have a few reviews on uses of Dax pomades. I have yet to review the one that comes in the blue tin, but I'll get to it by next week or the week after.

Dax is definitely one of my favorite pomades out there. Especially the red tin, I use that almost daily. Well, pretty much daily.

TrenchGuy

One of the Regulars
Have a look at http://www.pomade-shop.eu. They have the world's largest selection of pomades. The pomades are described beautifully so you know what to expect of them.

I myself never liked the blue Dax. It has absolutely no hold and tends to make a very greasy look. In my opinion it's best used for hair care. Used extremely sparingly it prevents dry hair, dandruff and gives a nice shine. As soon as you use a even little too much it looks oily. Might as well not wash your hair for a month and have the same effect. ;)
Well, it did tame my hair, which is usually really hard to style and doesn't hold the styles for more than a hour or two. So it has some hold. I like it. And yes, definitely prevents hair dryness.

I think it's pretty much common sense that pomade will make your hair look greasy. Come on, it contains petroleum jelly and lots of oils.

Jan

One of the Regulars
Well, it did tame my hair, which is usually really hard to style and doesn't hold the styles for more than a hour or two. So it has some hold. I like it. And yes, definitely prevents hair dryness.

I think it's pretty much common sense that pomade will make your hair look greasy. Come on, it contains petroleum jelly and lots of oils.

There are some pomades out there that won't give you a greasy sheen. Not all that many, but there out there. And of course there are those that give you the wet look, and those that give you a greasy look.

RadioWave

One of the Regulars
Rudie: thanks for the link, I was wondering where I was going to track down all those different brands.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
You're welcome, bluestone120.

I always thought it was easy to get pomades in the US, at least when you go for more common brands like Murray's, Black & White, Sweet Georgia Brown or Dax. Swedish or German stuff is another cup of tea. Even in Berlin I never had the need to order my pomades from Pomade Shop. For more than twenty years I always bought them at local afro shops. The selection is smaller but good enough for me and the pomades are much cheaper there. I guess at the ethnic section of your local drugstore or supermarket you'll pay even less. At least that's what I experienced when I was in the US years ago.

Jan

One of the Regulars
You'd think Black and White would be easy to get in the US, since it's made here. But it's actually one of the harder pomades to find. I mean, there are US stockists, but they mark up the prices by a lot. It's nearly the same price as ordering from a UK site. And not too many places stock Sweet Georgia Brown.

A lot of pomade is bought online, in the US. Not too many places stock different brands, usually the modern stuff or Murray's. As noted in one of my blog posts, Urban Outfitters now carries Murray's Superior.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Really? When I was in a small town in Arizona in 1994 they had lots of different brands at the supermarket.

Jan

One of the Regulars
Well, small towns, yeah. You can find nearly anything at small towns, even transformers toys released in the 80s.

But for areas like the Bay Area, CA, it's nearly impossible to find stockists for brands like Black and White or Sweet Georgia Brown. The only pomade found in major stores are Dax Wave and Groom, and Murray's Superior. Not even their other kinds of pomades or waxes.

Even then, there's never more than 2 cans of Dax on the shelves.

I'm not counting out the ethnic stores, but there not everywhere.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Wow, I didn't expect that I'd have to pack some pomade when going to the Bay Area in March! I think in Germany it's the other way round. You can't get it in small towns but here in Berlin it's easy. I am used to going to Afro Shops but if you just need Dax or Murray's you'll find them at some barber supply stores or barbers, too. And there are some stores that cater to the rockabilly crowd where you can also get Black & White, SGB and even Layrite. My barber stocks nearly all pomades they have at the Pomade Shop, but you pay double the price they ask in an Afro Shop.

Jan

One of the Regulars
There are the few rockabilly forward barbershops around here that do stock several kinds of pomade, but they aren't everywhere. Plus, they have a pretty high mark up, compared to ordering online.

Murray's and Dax, decently available in the Bay Area. Sweet Georgia Brown and Black and White, never seen em in any shop. And today I went hunting for pomade around some ghetto parts. I found one single tin of Dax in the green tin (never seen it before,) and it was semi used, so I didn't buy it.

But luckily, my sister will be in London/Paris over the next week, so she will hopefully buy me a few tins of pomade from over there, and will hopefully make time to swing by Something Hell's, to pick up some of their pomade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner