Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

De-waxing a Filson Tin Cloth Cruiser

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Hi

I'm thinking, that PERSONALLY, I'd just buy a new one if I liked it that well. $225 in this market is decent at least.

http://www.filson.com/products/dry-finish-tin-cruiser.10074.html?fromCat=true&fvalsProduct=mens/coats-jackets&fmetaProduct=1011

De-waxing the waxed ain't easy or clean. If you screw it up, you're out a decent jacket you could sell.

There's also the Duluth Trading jacket:
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/duluth-ingenuity/fire-hose-workwear/mens-fire-hose-jackets/93009.aspx

Similar and much less expensive. I don't have either, but I plan on getting the Duluth at some time.

Later

I don't know from Filson, but I have a Duluth twill blazer and a work shirt and you will NOT beat the quality.
I have washed the blazer and hang dried it and it didn't shrink a blink.

Sam

Tony B

One of the Regulars
I don't know about tin cloth but to get the wax off a millerain waxed fabric a hairdyer set on hot and a dabbed with either kitchen paper or some other very absorbent paper/cloth will get rid of a lot of the wax oil mix and the as jack burton suggested iron it through paper or cloth and that will get rid of most of the wax.

Either that or send it to the dry cleaner and hope he doesn't know what it will do to his machine and then act all innocent when you pick it up........I have only tried the first two.....honest.

AppleJackson

New in Town
Talk about a bunch of pansies. The OP was looking for advice on the task of removing wax from a jacket and almost everyone's advice was to buy a new one?
Reaffirms my assertion that hipsters are a bunch of pussies who are more concerned with their vintage clothing than learning any actual man skills.
To the guy who suggested heating it with an iron and using something to absorb the melted wax? You're on the money and the only one with a working brain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner