Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Death of a Fedora

Cobden

Practically Family
Gentleman, it is tonight that I finally have to say farewell to a hat that has been my beloved companion for nigh on five years now - a brown, medium brimmed, low crowned Christie's Trilby. It was nothing particularly flashy, probably mid 1980's, bought second hand at a charity shop in Eastbourne, UK, for a fiver all those years ago. It had since travelled with me pretty much all over the world. When I travelled through Europe, it was with me. Holiday in Russia in the winter it was keeping my head warm, I've jammed it on my head on top of the Eiffel tower to stop it blowing off, it's shielded my eyes from the Egyptian sun, protected me from a sandstorm in Death Valley, and soaked up what must have been three pints of water in a downpour in Brussels. When I met new freinds, and said goodbye to old one's, it's been there. When I've gotten drunk, it's been with me. It's seen the best days of my life, and some of the worst. I didn't treat it well - I didn't want to. I could pinpoint where the brim was a tad worn, I knew how it lost the little sticker on the inside, explain how it acheived it's slightly battered shape - simply, it told a story. Now, it has hit the final straw. The point of the crow, at the pinch, has now worn through, and it's shrunk due to wearing it once too often in the rain. It is, quite simply, an erstwhile hat. I think I'll give it a Viking funeral in Eastbourne, from whence it came.

Goodbye, my well beloved headgear.

Warlock

Suspended
Bronzed???

Very well. I will dive in. This is my first post. It ought to be deep, but it is not.

Has anyone ever tried to bronze a fedora? I wonder if it might be a fitting ol tribute to a loyal old soldier and faithful friend.

Sincere regrets, but it is better to pass with dignity.

Davidson

One of the Regulars
Cobden said:
It is, quite simply, an erstwhile hat.

I had to look up "erstwhile". Thanks for expanding my vocabulary.

Cobden said:
I think I'll give it a Viking funeral in Eastbourne, from whence it came. Goodbye, my well beloved headgear.

My land, don't dispose of it! Put it under glass, in a curio cabinet, somewhere. There are memories that will return looking at that hat you will find nowhere else. Write plans for its disposal into your will, if you want to make sure it sees an honorable end.

Davidson

One of the Regulars
Stuff it

Take it to a taxidermist and have it stuffed. Maybe have antlers or horns added. Hang over fireplace. Sit in easy chair smoking pipe, with dog at side,

mingoslim

Practically Family
My old friend . . .

I still have my old friend in a hat box in the closet . . . It had been my grandfathers, and I had to rip out the sweat just to wear it when I was first given it those many years ago. It served me on stage in the late 70s . . . traveled with me overseas as an archaeologist (before IJ had seen the silver screen) . . . went with me on dates . . . to clubs . . . I danced to swing music in it . . .

Perhaps I should have it bronzed, or put it on display . . .

No, I no longer wear it . . . but I could never part with it . . .

Tell the folks who ask that the hole in the pinch front is a bullet hole . . . caused while fleeing from a band of Berber Raiders in North Africa . . .
Or some such :)

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
Are you kidding, Cobden? It's just getting broken in! I just don't see the problem with a hat that's slightly small and has a few holes in it...

fredcdobbs.jpg

At least keep it around, maybe hang it on a rack in the house. It's the least your wonderful lid deserves...KC

rockyj

One of the Regulars
Parting is such sweet sorrow!

Yes Friend, we've all been there. Such objects bring much memories.when my Father died we put one of his old Fedoras in with him and I kept the other (an old gray stetson. It's beat to heck, but I take it out and hold it and even wear it a little. Maybe you'll do the same:)

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
aliados said:
You have my deepest sympathy.
I felt the same way whenmy first Stratoliner "sprung a leak" at the corners! I've still goit it, though, and am considering having it stuffed -- or bronzed.

"felt"......that's too funny, am I the only one who caught that? :eusa_doh:

.....by the way, I think I'd keep it hangin' around just for memories sake. Sounds like it has a ton.

Cobden

Practically Family
Wasn't serious about the viking funeral, but I like the idea of placing it upon a bust...

Now, onto finding a new fedora. Akubra looks nice...

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
Warlock said:
Has anyone ever tried to bronze a fedora? I wonder if it might be a fitting ol tribute to a loyal old soldier and faithful friend.
Yes, Walt Disney. His wife hated his fedora so he had it bronzed and gave it to her as a gift.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot