Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
He was a treasure. My wife and I went to a Dame Edna performance many years ago. He was a hoot. We still remember it because we laughed so hard that it physically exhausted us. R.I.P.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No!
Harry Belafonte dead at 96.

https://apnews.com/article/harry-belafonte-dead-2d8cbdf0043e4383a6c4a85c862cdbe1

Saw him in Person in DC. Actually, it was a Nana Mouscouri concert and Harry dropped in, as a surprise, to show his support. Struck me as a genuinely nice guy.

In a way, Harry was also the last link to my deceased father. Harry was my dad’s favorite performer (they shared a Jamaica connection) and I grew up listening to Belafonte records.

Rest in Peace, Harry. You will be missed.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
No!
Harry Belafonte dead at 96.

https://apnews.com/article/harry-belafonte-dead-2d8cbdf0043e4383a6c4a85c862cdbe1

Saw him in Person in DC. Actually, it was a Nana Mouscouri concert and Harry dropped in, as a surprise, to show his support. Struck me as a genuinely nice guy.

In a way, Harry was also the last link to my deceased father. Harry was my dad’s favorite performer (they shared a Jamaica connection) and I grew up listening to Belafonte records.

Rest in Peace, Harry. You will be missed.
My mother LOVED Mr. Belafonte. The man was a stunner. I must've heard his "Live at Carnegie Hall" album on our old pink and beige "High Fidelity" portable a thousand times if I heard it once. Excellent singer, master performer, decent actor and true champion for human rights. Had a popular show on 50's TV that he left because he wouldn't give up his integrated cast. A true human being.

Worf

Edward

Bartender
Aussie comedian, author, writer & satirist, Barry Humphries has died following complications from hip surgery, aged 89.

View attachment 510489

View attachment 510490

View attachment 510491

Wonderful performer, one of the true drag icons - and a comedy icon in general. A sad loss, compounded by coming so on the heels of another titan of the drag world, Paul O'Grady (Lily Savage).

Humphries; loss will be keenly felt in Rocky Horror world, where he will forever be remembered as Bert Schnick from Shock Treatment, the lesser-remembered sequel to Rocky Horror Picture Show.

1682515140255.png

Edward

Bartender
Jerry Springer (1944-2023)
TV talk show host Jerry Springer died today after a brief illness. He was 79.

I just caught the news this morning. An interesting character, who crops up, via his fictionalised counterpart in Jerry Spring the Opera in my media law lectures in terms of both broadcasting regulation, and the attempted prosecution that brought about the final abolition of the blasphemy law in England. Controversial as it was, his show certainly has a long influence in television, both in terms of the genre it largely created, and the form. I don't recall any previous chat-show host leading the show from the aisle in the audience, effectively presenting from among the audience, suggesting being "one of us", a direct representation of the notional viewer.

79. He somehow seemed younger that that, though it must be fifteen years since I last saw him on television so perhaps that affects my impression.

I just caught the news this morning. An interesting character, who crops up, via his fictionalised counterpart in Jerry Spring the Opera in my media law lectures in terms of both broadcasting regulation, and the attempted prosecution that brought about the final abolition of the blasphemy law in England. Controversial as it was, his show certainly has a long influence in television, both in terms of the genre it largely created, and the form. I don't recall any previous chat-show host leading the show from the aisle in the audience, effectively presenting from among the audience, suggesting being "one of us", a direct representation of the notional viewer.

79. He somehow seemed younger that that, though it must be fifteen years since I last saw him on television so perhaps that affects my impression.

Well, as you are not from the US, you may not remember Phil Donahue, who pioneered the audience talk show format and regularly mingled with and took questions from the audience. Everybody who has this type of show now owes Phil that debt.

As far as Mr. Springer, being a local boy, I was privy to a closer look over the years than most. I live in Dayton, about 50 miles up the road from Cincinnati, where he was mayor and subsequently a news anchor, prior to his more recognizable role in the media culture.

Many pixels will be spilled on his "contribution" to the cultural decline so many decry today, but on a personal level, he seemed like a pretty nice guy. What really cemented my opinion of him was an interview of him on the local talk station, WLW. The host, a center-right talker, had him on for an hour or more and they debated several hot button issues of the day. The idea was to get away from the histrionics of normal political debate and have a discussion.

Mr. Springer came off as a very reasonable classical liberal. He was thoughtful, intelligent, and reasonable in his positions. The debate (more of a conversation) was very good and allowed me to see beyond the cartoon character he played on TV.

Edward

Bartender
Well, as you are not from the US, you may not remember Phil Donahue, who pioneered the audience talk show format and regularly mingled with and took questions from the audience. Everybody who has this type of show now owes Phil that debt.

As far as Mr. Springer, being a local boy, I was privy to a closer look over the years than most. I live in Dayton, about 50 miles up the road from Cincinnati, where he was mayor and subsequently a news anchor, prior to his more recognizable role in the media culture.

Many pixels will be spilled on his "contribution" to the cultural decline so many decry today, but on a personal level, he seemed like a pretty nice guy. What really cemented my opinion of him was an interview of him on the local talk station, WLW. The host, a center-right talker, had him on for an hour or more and they debated several hot button issues of the day. The idea was to get away from the histrionics of normal political debate and have a discussion.

Mr. Springer came off as a very reasonable classical liberal. He was thoughtful, intelligent, and reasonable in his positions. The debate (more of a conversation) was very good and allowed me to see beyond the cartoon character he played on TV.

Donahue is not a name I know, no... Springer was the first of the type we saw over here. Interesting the model is older again.

Yes, Jerry always seemed a decent stick to me, whatever might be said of his eponymous show. I often thought he would be interesting dinner conversation.

About as an iconic Canadian as you can get.

Well, he's no Iron Mike Sharp...

One of the local DJs was explaining the Canadian law which requires a certain percentage of arts broadcast be of Canadian origin. I didn't know this, but there is a scoring system. You get more "points" for playing a Canadian artist, and even more if the song was recorded in Canada and written in Canada. Since Mr. Lightfoot did all three, you get a triple points score for playing him. So he got played a lot in Canada.

Not to discount his obvious talent, but it certainly didn't hurt his career.

Well, he's no Iron Mike Sharp...

One of the local DJs was explaining the Canadian law which requires a certain percentage of arts broadcast be of Canadian origin. I didn't know this, but there is a scoring system. You get more "points" for playing a Canadian artist, and even more if the song was recorded in Canada and written in Canada. Since Mr. Lightfoot did all three, you get a triple points score for playing him. So he got played a lot in Canada.

Not to discount his obvious talent, but it certainly didn't hurt his career.
Yes, it did help the careers of many a Canadian performers.....some not so worthy of the airplay. I think Lightfoot was one not needing that. Him and Ian Tyson are about as iconic as you can get in a Canadian singer. Well you have to add in Stompin' Tom Connors for the trifecta. You havn't lived til ya heard "Sudbury Saturday Night"

Young was still Canadian when he recorded it but he no longer is allowed to claim citizenship....he gave it up. Ian Tyson's version is far far better...but then he did write it.
Didn’t know he had given up his Canadian citizenship. I always thought he was pretty proud of that. And always wondered what his taxes looked like.

As far as the song goes, and being a half assed guitar player, I’ve heard Tyson & much preferYoung’s version.

Didn’t know he had given up his Canadian citizenship. I always thought he was pretty proud of that. And always wondered what his taxes looked like.

As far as the song goes, and being a half assed guitar player, I’ve heard Tyson & much preferYoung’s version.
Yes, likely from a guitar perspective Young's version superior. Tyson was a real rancher a true Canadiana guy while Young was an urban poser, born and raised upper class.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo