Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deciding on an Akubra...help please.

MaricopaKid

New in Town
That looks way different(read better) than the standard hat shot on the websites selling that hat. Ok, more things to consider. I think I'm going to have to just get to the point where I make a decision and stick with it.

Analysis paralysis. I can't think of any retailers that allow you to only purchase one ! You will find reasons to buy more. Good luck!

JTopenroad

One of the Regulars
Maybe I should rethink the Fed. I'm 6'1" and 215 lbs so I may be able to pull it off from a physique standpoint. I hqve worn a cowboy hat back in my 20s when I guided for an outfitter. Between the Sydney and the Fedora, I would go with the Fedora. I have already looked into the differences between the two. Also, I'm fine with ordering from Australia and waiting the 3 months in order to get what I want. I really have a strong preference for the green hats as I think it's more versatile. But the moonstone is very Sharp but looks a little dressier. My primary use will be casual.
I have ordered twice from The Hattery and had delivery in 10 days and 11 days. Australia to Ohio! That is with hats that are in stock.

RockyNomad

Familiar Face
I see David Morgan has the Fed in mid brown and hatsdirect has it in dark brown. The pictures look to be the same color. Can anyone tell me if there is a difference in the two?

m0nk

One Too Many
I'm a Fed guy, I have both brown and moonstone. The moonstone I've modified to have an even 2 3/8" brim all the way 'round, with a Bogey style crease and it works well for me, but everyone is different.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I see David Morgan has the Fed in mid brown and hatsdirect has it in dark brown. The pictures look to be the same color. Can anyone tell me if there is a difference in the two?

I have a Federation III in the Mid-Brown. It's a dull brown with a distinct greenish cast: it sometimes looks more green than brown in certain lighting.

I haven't seen the Dark Brown used on the Federation IV in person, but from all reports it's darker than Mid-Brown, with a red undertone (vs. green). Lots of folks here have the Fed IV, so hopefully they'll chime in...

RockyNomad

Familiar Face
The Federation is a Hats Direct exclusive & David Morgan carries the Sydney instead of the Fedora. What "Fed" are you referring to?
Maybe I'm confused... :/

Sorry for the confusion. When I say "Fed" I'm refering to the Fed(Federation) IV. As far as the Sydney vs. Fedora, I would go for the Fedora just because of the slight differences.

RockyNomad

Familiar Face
So you meant the Adventurer at David Morgan in Mid-Brown, right?
The Adventurer & The Federation are not the same...

Oh, I guess I assumed they were. I misunderstood what I've seen posted and thought they were the same hat. So, what is the difference between the two?

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
My vote goes for the Campdraft.....their green version is to die for...but all the colors it comes in look great....I can't think of a nicer 'new' casual fedora.....And after that movie 'Gangster Squad' hits, everyone will have to have one...lol
And as far as open crown vs factory creased....When I first came here I didn't care....But since getting my open crown Borsalino, I really think just about everyone would prefer OC after having one....So easy to change the shape....Its like having many hats in one...

Last edited:

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Oh, I guess I assumed they were. I misunderstood what I've seen posted and thought they were the same hat. So, what is the difference between the two?
Brim width, for sure. The Adventurer is listed as 3 1/8" front and back, w/ 2 3/4" on the sides -- a big hat by my standards. The Feds (I have two) are 70 mm front and back, 63 mm on the sides, which comes out to 2.8" x 2.5". An extra 1/4 inch on a brim can make a lot of difference in the look of a hat, and how you look in it.

RockyNomad

Familiar Face
Brim width, for sure. The Adventurer is listed as 3 1/8" front and back, w/ 2 3/4" on the sides -- a big hat by my standards. The Feds (I have two) are 70 mm front and back, 63 mm on the sides, which comes out to 2.8" x 2.5". An extra 1/4 inch on a brim can make a lot of difference in the look of a hat, and how you look in it.

Ok, I get it now. The Adventurer is definitely out for me but the hatsdirect Fed IV is still a strong consideration and kind of what I'm leaning towards. The other consideration would be the Fedora(not Sydney) and the Stylemaster. Before all you enablers jump in with the "buy all three" comments, I don't have the money. It's only one for me right now.

m0nk

One Too Many
Other differences between the Federation and the Adventurer are the crown. The height of the Federation IV was listed 5 3/4" when I bought my first one, though I think the hatsdirect site now states 5 5/8", and the Adventurer is 5 1/2". My understanding is that the Federation is entirely a hatsdirect exclusive with all specifications coming from COW (Club Obi Wan) input, including Steve Delk from Adventurebilt. Even the block was designed based on his, resulting in a slightly straighter crown than the Adventurer. And the ribbon is a slightly different color, appearing darker (almost black) depending on the lighting. All of these traits were done to make the brown version of this hat resemble the Raiders of the Lost Ark hat.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
RockyNomad,

I see you're in Denver, where I lived for 4 years, '97 - '01 (and which I miss every day). Considering the annual Stock Show and the other Western paraphernalia out there, you could do a lot worse than go for a Campdraft. You can shape it as a fedora, or in the classic Open Road (a la "LBJ hat") style. It's got almost a 3" brim, 2.9", but it can go dressy or casual, comes in tan, silverbelly, and gray, and would really fit in around CO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran