Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Decisions, Decisions

Nigel

One of the Regulars
For the past 12 months I've been looking for a vintage OR but with no luck, I've either been pipped at the post for everything I've bid on or it went way too high. So I decided after reading all the threads here I would buy myself a Campdraft, a good looking, hopefully hard wearing hat. I contacted Ron at Hatsdirect to see what he had in stock, he only had the taupe fawn in stock and the Silverbelly had a 3 month wait, what's a guy to do, go for the taupe for instant gratification or be patient and order the silverbelly, after all thats the colour I wanted, well I did what any self respecting Lounger would do, I ordered both.:) so now I get the best of both worlds, one now the other later.
Now to start saving for both of Kens' Camptown modelslol

BTW what would members recommend for shaping my Campdraft when it arrives? dry bashed, wet/misting bash or use steam. This is my first open crowned fedora I'm hoping to go for a classic c crown or diamond bash, still undecided.

Spellflower

Practically Family
Re: bashing Akubras

If the Campdraft is anything like other Akubras, you won't be able to dry bash it- without moisture it will just pop back to how it was. I've had Akubras taper dramatically after steaming, and there is some other anecdotal evidence here as well.

I'd advise you to get it good and wet and then shape it and let it dry without heat.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nigel said:
...I did what any self respecting Lounger would do, I ordered both.:)

Well done!
:eusa_clap
Rather following the great Mae West's dictum "...when faced with a choice between two evils, I always pick the one I haven’t tried before.
I do not think you will have a bit of trouble dry bashing these. I have never had to do anything more with my Akubras.

Stoney

Practically Family
Although you'll find many posts from me on the merits of steaming in a crease,
I would recommend that you mist the hat with fresh clean water to shape it initially. Steam is great for setting a crease, but you've got to know how not to overdo it.

Nigel

One of the Regulars
My first Campdraft finally arrived, sorry no pics as yet will try to get some posted soon. It's the taupe fawn, just another 2½ months to wait for the silverbelly[huh] . This is my first non vintage and open crowned fedora. I am impressed with this hat, the quality, the felt and the good sized crown. I've tried a little dry hand bashing with satisfactory results though I'm having a problem with the dents, they just seem to keep popping back out perhaps a little water is in order. I'll keep playing with the bash until I'm happy, still undecided between c-crown or diamond. BTW does the brim loosen up a bit? mine keeps snapping back up.
I've been checking out all the Campdraft bashes posted on the other threads so I've got plenty of food for thought. I'll get some pics up soon for my entry to the Brotherhood of the Thin Ribbon.

ideaguy

One Too Many
First- congratulations!:eusa_clap
Second- I've always found that using steam-judicioulsly-is much, much easier with a new hat; don't overdo it, just get the felt nice & warm, a little damp-don't have to soak the poor thing, and start adjusting slowly-keep the kettle on, give the hat a little blast of steam, take it away from direct contact with the steam, pinch here & there- just enough to give you a mild shaping-as advised previously, the trick is knowing when to stop...
the brim, if you steam it on the underside, will easily "snap"- and the application of steam will allow you to get close to what you want a lot quicker.

Go easy. No need to rush, look at a lot of hats BEFORE you start!! have a mirror handy, large enough that you can step a good 5 ft away & see yourself, and have patience.
That's my .02 cents worth, it works for me, have done a LOT of hats this way, with good results. True secret: patience, patience, patience.

Good Luck!

RBH

Bartender
Nigel said:
My first Campdraft finally arrived, sorry no pics as yet will try to get some posted soon. It's the taupe fawn, just another 2½ months to wait for the silverbelly[huh] . This is my first non vintage and open crowned fedora. I am impressed with this hat, the quality, the felt and the good sized crown. I've tried a little dry hand bashing with satisfactory results though I'm having a problem with the dents, they just seem to keep popping back out perhaps a little water is in order. I'll keep playing with the bash until I'm happy, still undecided between c-crown or diamond. BTW does the brim loosen up a bit? mine keeps snapping back up.
I've been checking out all the Campdraft bashes posted on the other threads so I've got plenty of food for thought. I'll get some pics up soon for my entry to the Brotherhood of the Thin Ribbon.

I anoint you a brother in the BROTHERHOOD OF THE THIN RIBBON !

The Campdraft is a great hat. A little mist of water was all my Campdraft needed. Since then all it took was a dry crease to go from a c crown to a slight diamond crease.
As for the brim.. I just worked mine back and forth to 'limber' up the felt. Dont worry...Akubras are tough, you will not hurt it buy doing that.
I for one look forward to your photos... once again
WELCOME to the Brotherhood!!! :eusa_clap

Nigel

One of the Regulars
Finally

I got around to some pics of my Campdraft, here they are:
Right out of the box
campdraftopenwz4.jpg

First attempt at bashing
campdraftbashjp7.jpg

campdraftprofileay4.jpg

Doing a Douglas
campdraftwearing1zs0.jpg

Out and about
campdraftcanaldv8.jpg

The pictures could be better, but that's more to do with the photographer than the camera:eusa_doh:
How did I do:fedora:

Nothing not to like there, Nigel. There's a reason that OR-esque style remains so popular, eh? They've been around for a good 70 years or more and they still command a steady audience. I imagine they are less common a sight on your side of the pond (not that you'll see them all over around here, either, but they are more prevalent than other styles of hats, with the exception of your standard cowboy lid).

Yes, I'm liking the way you have it shaped. The way you've go the front of the brim works well with that lid and with your face.

Nigel

One of the Regulars
Great stuff! Where'd you order from that you got them so fast?!!!

I ordered 2 Campdrafts, one in Taupe Fawn (pictured) and one in Silverbelly. The Taupe Fawn was in stock, order placed 17th April and I had it on my head 10 days later. The Silverbelly however is special order and delivery is expected anywhere between 2 and 3 months time. I ordered from Ron at Hatsdirect, the Campdraft is not listed on his site but if you drop him an email he can get them.

Looking at the pic below, to me it seems the front of the brim wants lowering a bit more, from the angle of the shot it almost looks snapped up.
campdraftcanaldv8.jpg

RBH

Bartender
You did great on your crease!! I would like the front a little lower.
Just work the front brim up and down with you hands, no need to wet it. A little working of the felt will give you what you want.
Once again GREAT JOB!!! :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy