Deck jackets: pike bros vs iron heart

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Gimli, Jun 20, 2019.

1. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

I think they are both within reasonable tolerance though. Either way I suspect an exchange would be super easy with Pike. They are really great to work with

Gimli likes this.
  2. Bfd70

Bfd70 One Too Many

Agree on tolerances. My measurements come within 2 cm of advertised. That’s just a big lunch.

ton312 and Gimli like this.
  3. Gimli

Gimli New in Town

I did email with them and they say that every jacket is exact. It’s just the old problem where if an XS was a touch smaller than they say it’ll be too tight, but if an S is any bigger it’ll be way too big.
    Are these the kind of jackets people find will stretch a little? Like a nice pair of jeans?

4. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

I suppose it may give a bit. With a jacket I think the best bet is to start a bit too large. These jackets are not all that comfortable with only a t-shirt underneath. The wool is a bit abrasive, not terribly but it’s not fleece. I can get a button down or thin hoody under mine. More than enough for warmth without having any effect on the fit or feel.

Gimli likes this.
  5. Bfd70

Bfd70 One Too Many

Deck jackets are not a fitted cut

Edward and ton312 like this.
  6. l0fielectronic

l0fielectronic Practically Family

I was stuck between two sizes on what size to order in the Pike Bros jacket and in the end went with the larger of the two, partly as in researching it everybody selling one seemed to be doing so as they said they found their jacket too snug...

I think I could've fit either of the sizes but going with the larger fit made it more comfortable for driving, working outside, moving around and such. Ideally I think I'd like one a size smaller too for a slightly smarter, trimmer cut!

Either way I'm very pleased with it, its worn well, been worn a lot and I think its a good value jacket at the price.

Gimli likes this.
  7. Markoman

Markoman New in Town

I purchased a Pikes N-1 jacket a couple of months ago in a Large.
    The sleeves are a little bulkier than I would like, but overall it's a very good fit
    I'm 5'11" and around 210lbs.

Gimli likes this.
  8. ProteinNerd

ProteinNerd My Mail is Forwarded Here

Sorry to add to the confusion but I've got a Pike Bros medium and it fits me fine, not a super tight fit mind you. I'm 5"11 and about 75 kg.

Gimli likes this.
  9. Graemsay

Graemsay Practically Family

Gimli likes this.
  10. Edward

Edward Bartender

Agreed. I seem to recall reading that the N1 jacket was not issued to an individual, but rather belonged to the ship, and the wearer woulds simply grab the best availble sized one for their shift on deck. For my money, they look best a little oversized (much like an Irvin). I wouldn't even consider a jacketl ike that that I could only fit a t-shirt under, as that way you're almost guaranteed to find it not warm enough with no room to layer for half the year, and far too warm over a t shirt for the rest of the time.

Dr H likes this.
  11. Bfd70

Bfd70 One Too Many

Then i think this covers the bases as i’m 5’10 150# (68kg) and wear a small. That’s pretty much a complete size run down.

Gimli likes this.
  12. Dr H

Dr H One Too Many

Mine (civilian 1950s) is a vintage 46 and allows room for a decent layer underneath.

13. Gimli

Gimli New in Town

Graemsay likes this.
  14. Gimli

Gimli New in Town

A
    And at 68kg with a small do iii find that a tight or loose fit or just right.

15. Bfd70

Bfd70 One Too Many

See my pic on post 9. Definitely not too small. Either loose or just right depending on how you like the fit and what you are wearing underneath. For me it allows a heavy layer. I am a 36.

Gimli likes this.
  16. Goel

Goel Familiar Face

Iron heart N1 sizes can vary season to season but they usually come up a size large (compared to their shirt sizing). The small was a bit wide in the body for me with almost 22 inches p2p. I ended up selling it but I liked it for the internal pocket, wind layer and real alpaca mixed wool in the body.

Gimli likes this.
  17. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I can't imagine ever needing one of these in Melbourne but there are a few places in Oz that get cold for 10-12 weeks a year.

18. Norman3

Norman3 New in Town

I ordered a N1 from pike brothers. The measurement is correct if you measure the garment on the outside. It’s much tighter inside.
    But what I came here to say is that the exchange went smooth and their customer service is excellent.
    Oh, and the jacket feels and looks great too. I can’t compare to Iron Heart, but compared to a Buzz Ricksons I think the wool is of somewhat less excellence in a Pike N1.

19. breezer

breezer Practically Family

I have a lovely Freewheelers deck jacket for sale over in the classifieds.........