Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deco Cigarette machine

twobarbreak

One of the Regulars
I only know i have this same Cigarette machine in a photo
from 1939 in a popular dance club, In Los Angeles...

red.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
There's another of those things for the "things that have disappeared" thread. These used to be everywhere - I wonder what happened to them all?

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Mostly scrapped for parts? Used to see 'em in bars here and there, and hotel lobbies recently. But I haven't been to a bar in a year, so don't even know that they have them there anymore either. No loss,...:rolleyes: Maybe they could be converted to vend something else?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
The subways used to be full of those machines, as well as identical gum machines. The result was subway platforms that were virtually paved with old lumps of chewing gum.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
There's an art museum in Winston-Salem that gutted an old cigarette machine and set up an Art-O-Mat.
1. Insert coins
2. Receive art that fits inside a cigarette machine.
3. Feel like you've spent $4 wisely, on art instead of on cigarettes.

I'm pretty sure I got a tiny wooden robot puppet named Ranger Grey. He lives on my rear-view window with my K-9 air freshener.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We used to have one in the family gas station -- I don't remember ever seeing any fresh cigarettes put in it, so on those rare occasions when somebody bought a pack they must have been terribly terribly stale.

There was also a sign firmly attatched to the front. UNDER PENALTY OF LAW THIS MACHINE NOT TO BE OPERATED BY MINORS. This was what then passed for strict enforcement of the tobacco laws.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
There used to be one of these at both the pizza place and at the deli my grandmother would take me to as a kid, and at least one looked of similar age. This was in the late eighties through mid-nineties.

They're gone now, I think. So's my grandmother, rest her soul, who'd smoked forty years but stopped when I was born. Lung cancer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot