Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Decorative hardware (rhinestones, studs, stars, spots etc.)- tips? experiences? favorite retailers?

antoine p

One of the Regulars
TFL- I'm looking to buy decorative hardware for a potential outerwear project. In the planning stages, so just want to gather general information about what's available and people's experiences... let's have this serve as a general thread- practical questions, general discussion, history, etc.

Any longstanding makers people trust? Anyone here have good or bad experience with particular retailers? Any fallen brands I should keep my eye out for on the resale market?

With the TFL musician and biker contingent, I'm thinking that perhaps some here have watched this culture and market change over the years- I would love to hear about your experiences. I'm curious about the history of custom decorative hardware jobs, what would have been accessible at different times and what was popular among various subcultures.

Share anything remotely relevant...

Bahabp100

Practically Family
TFL- I'm looking to buy decorative hardware for a potential outerwear project. In the planning stages, so just want to gather general information about what's available and people's experiences... let's have this serve as a general thread- practical questions, general discussion, history, etc.

Any longstanding makers people trust? Anyone here have good or bad experience with particular retailers? Any fallen brands I should keep my eye out for on the resale market?

With the TFL musician and biker contingent, I'm thinking that perhaps some here have watched this culture and market change over the years- I would love to hear about your experiences. I'm curious about the history of custom decorative hardware jobs, what would have been accessible at different times and what was popular among various subcultures.

Share anything remotely relevant...
I have a couple of side lace ornaments on a jacket and some wooden beads on the side laces of another . I have some great pins but I’ve never put them on leather , just denim https://www.ebay.com/itm/113714668860
https://www.ebay.com/itm/264687815876

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
If it's a biker Jacket, I Like the vintage or classic style round brass studs. My thoughts are that this look originated from Horse tack in the pioneer days, and stuck with motorcycle "Iron horse" Riders perhaps? I could be mistaken, it could just be a thing from early Motorcycle Clubs trying to toughen up their leathers for wipe outs? If you look at some centennial antique horse leathers, sometimes you'll see nice custom hand made brass.

Bahabp100

Practically Family
Eagle Ornament and beads on my Schott 125 side laces. I use a black wire tie to keep it together
D9A4144C-AC80-4C14-8F25-CCB23ED2299D.jpeg

Last edited:
This is something I am curious about, too. In case those in the know missed the thread the first time around, any ideas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana