Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deliberate "Too small size" ballcap fashion

Feraud

Bartender
Atticus Finch said:
Strange. I've recently observed the opposite here in the USA. Many of my young defendants attend court wearing caps that are several sizes too large. Often, their caps actually cover the tops of their ears.
AF
Are the defendants asked to remove their hats in the courtroom?

The oversized cap was adopted by the general public based on hip-hop style.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Dewhurst said:
Why do people have to try so hard to be "expressive"?!?!

In a species noted for it's deliberate conformity, I don't know why people keep trying.

I guess it's part of that built-in desire to be different. Strangely, people who wish to be different usually go about it in exactly the same way as this other group of people who have decided to be entirely different, and so now they just fit in to a smaller group of conformers, which, I suppose, is a step up from mass conformity. Still, it's like graduating from two training wheels to one and a half. You're still crippled.
Because they have absolutely no real inherent creativity?? :eek: So they simply ape whatever trend that happens to be around, ad nauseum. :(

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Atticus Finch said:
DuffGoldmanandGeofManthorne-1.jpg
:eek: :eusa_doh: :rolleyes:

donnc

One of the Regulars
If creative expression means wearing something absolutely unrelated to what anyone else wears, then I would expect it to turn up mostly among sociopaths and other abnormals. We're a social species.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Atticus Finch said:
Strange. I've recently observed the opposite here in the USA. Many of my young defendants attend court wearing caps that are several sizes too large. Often, their caps actually cover the tops of their ears.

This is my experience as well. I wasn't aware that hats-to-small was the new "thing". I'm not surprised. [huh]

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Perhaps the most famous case of wearing hats too small were the bowlers of Laurel and Hardy, particularly Oliver H. Of course, they did it for comic effect, and the hats were an integral part of the act in a more generalized way, as well--constantly being fiddled with, forever falling off, assuming priority over the oncoming steam roller, etc.

However people want to wear their hats and clothes, provided not indecent, is fine by me. Viva la Differance.

Some might think that I wear my hats too low, for the brim only clears my higher, right ear 1/4 inch, sometimes less after a fresh haircut. But that's the way I prefer to wear a fedora; I think they look best on me that way.

danofarlington

Torpedo said:
Hi,

I just wanted to comment on a fashion, or fad, that is taking root here in Spain. Youngsters wear their ball caps (the sort that you can adjust with a velcroed or buckled strap) deliberately adjusted to at least two sizes smaller than they would need; and then, they precariously perch the cap at some sort of odd angle and orientation on their head.

Not that I want to throw any shrapnel on that, curious as it is; just wanted to know if this is widespread. Here it would seem this is usually seen in Spanish youngsters; maybe as a "tribal" cap custom, deliberately chosen as distinct from, for instance, the "Flat Bill" style young men of South-American extraction favour?

Regards!
It's the "beanie" look from the 30s, no?

Undertow

Atticus Finch said:
I've always thought JFK didn't like hats because, in 1960, there was no Fedora Lounge where he could get good advice about proper fit.

jfkhat-1.jpg

AF

Now there's a stingy brim and big ribbon. If my eyes don't deceive me, that's probably a 1 3/4" brim with a 2" ribbon. I suppose it could be a 2" brim...

We could have shown him a thing or two! lol

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Dewhurst said:
Why do people have to try so hard to be "expressive"?!?!

In a species noted for it's deliberate conformity, I don't know why people keep trying.

I guess it's part of that built-in desire to be different. Strangely, people who wish to be different usually go about it in exactly the same way as this other group of people who have decided to be entirely different, and so now they just fit in to a smaller group of conformers, which, I suppose, is a step up from mass conformity. Still, it's like graduating from two training wheels to one and a half. You're still crippled.

I think it isn't really trying to be individual, but more often a desire to fit in with some distinct group, to do something that identifies you with shared values or ideas. I suspect we all do that to some extent. For a time with me, it was wearing hiking boots on campus. For some of us, wearing hats too.

Eventually, some evolve toward not caring so much :p We just please ourselves most of the time.

Atticus, great picture! It isn't so much what he's wearing that's entertaining, but rather that he's appearing in court (as a defendant???) like that. I just want to know what he's thinking, or if he is at all. So does he address the judge with "hey dude, wazzup?"

- Bill

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Woodfluter said:
I think it isn't really trying to be individual, but more often a desire to fit in with some distinct group, to do something that identifies you with shared values or ideas. I suspect we all do that to some extent. For a time with me, it was wearing hiking boots on campus. For some of us, wearing hats too.

- Bill

Once again (remember, berets, back when I was NonEntity), you and I share a frighteningly similar background: I, too, wore hiking boots in college. While I did seriously hike on weekends, and it was a 3-mile walk to campus, those heavy boots with red lacing were, honestly, mostly a style statement.

You see, I was going for the rugged mountain-man look. My hat was a rust suede alpine style. Add a plaid flannel shirt and a parka, and you get the picture.

I still have all three but never use them: The Vasque Super Whitney boots weigh 10 pounds; bugs nibbled on the hat; the North Face parka's zipper is broken.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Torpedo said:
I seem to recall stingies are allowed, even supposed to, ride higher on the head? Is there something about that?

Well, stingys and trilbys are often worn "rude boy" style on the back of the head, culling from the British ska/punk movement in the 70's.

danofarlington

Woodfluter said:

Eventually, some evolve toward not caring so much :p We just please ourselves most of the time.

Atticus, great picture! It isn't so much what he's wearing that's entertaining, but rather that he's appearing in court (as a defendant???) like that. I just want to know what he's thinking, or if he is at all. So does he address the judge with "hey dude, wazzup?"

- Bill
For me, the fedora look is the "stylish loner, chips fall where they may." There is no fedora group yet out there for me to belong to, and me in geezerhood, don't need to belong to a group. The style might be better that way, as opposed to every man having his fedora as in the 1940s. But you're doubtless right about belonging to a group with a hat otherwise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner