Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim Jackets - New or Vintage

When I was in german primary-school in the early 90s, I got a (probably oversized) Denim-jacket, which was brownish-grey and dark-grey "marmorate" or stonewashed, as far as I remind.

Such a jacket isn't exactly available on the market, actual. But I don't know really, if I would buy such a Denim-jacket, again. I still prefer dark-blue stonewashed.

arkadijs

Familiar Face
Here such corduroy jacket and jeans. Repro of the beginning of the 1960th years. Edition of the 1999th year. Levis Big E. Corduroy moderately rigid. Something I had similar in the childhood the 1970th years...
Cut and quality at height. Though corduroy is also not popular now, happy with a jacket and trousers...

Attachments

• IMG_2600 (1080 x 810).jpg
    IMG_2600 (1080 x 810).jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_2604 (1080 x 810).jpg
    IMG_2604 (1080 x 810).jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_2620 (1080 x 810).jpg
    IMG_2620 (1080 x 810).jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_2618 (1080 x 810).jpg
    IMG_2618 (1080 x 810).jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_2619 (1080 x 810).jpg
    IMG_2619 (1080 x 810).jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 196
I don't think I would have the balls to wear cord with cord like that. Even if I wanted too. :eek:

Would be definitely no problem in Germany! It's not "Double-Denim" bright-blue/bright-blue! ;)

I would combine the Cord with a black shirt under it. Tobacco-brown is ok to me, but I would prefer hazelnut, myself. :)

Graemsay

Practically Family
@Sonero I missed your original post, so sorry for the late reply.

I'd suggest following the suggestion made by @l0fielectronic, and visit the Iron Heart forum. People there will help you, but ultimately you have three choices:
  1. Since sizes vary between (and sometimes within) brands, you're probably going to have to measure a jacket. Take one that fits you well, button it up, lay it flat, and run a tape measure across its armpits. It's not going to be completely accurate, and ignore things like action backs, but it'll give you an idea.
  2. Order one up from Self Edge or Iron Heart, and swallow the cost of return postage if it doesn't fit.
  3. Take a trip up to Self Edge in LA, and try them on in person. :)
I'd guess that you'd be around an XXXL in Iron Heart sizing. But you'd really need to try things to see what fits.

Americanaaa Mark

A-List Customer
Here such corduroy jacket and jeans. Repro of the beginning of the 1960th years. Edition of the 1999th year. Levis Big E. Corduroy moderately rigid. Something I had similar in the childhood the 1970th years...
Cut and quality at height. Though corduroy is also not popular now, happy with a jacket and trousers...
Where did you get these pieces?

Butch_Coolidge

Familiar Face

Like a hipster corduroy suit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
This thread left me with a hankering for an old-style denim jacket - Levis I or II - but the price of them is beyond what I'm willing to pay for one. I ended up picking up a fawn-colour cord Evisu western jacket for £40 on eBay last night. It's a sample but looks the thing and not too much of a risk price-wise.

Anyone ever bought a rider-type Denim-jacket and let waist-pockets or inner-pockets sewn in?

What's a rider type denim jacket?

BWM did a really cool proper denim motorcycle suit that was basically a trucker jacket and a pair of jeans. But the whole thing is quality, has armor inserts and everything and looks really nice.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
So, today I went to the Macy's at the old Marshall Field's & Company building, simply because I've never been there and I wanted to treat myself as well as be able to say, as a Chicagoan, that I've shopped the Marshall Field's building and bought myself a nice new Levi's denim jacket:
sqGzgKW.jpg

That looks just like the one I bought in the late '70s, and still have and fit into. :)

Timeless styling.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Lee "Rider"-type.
Oh.

By 'rider,' I thought the reference was to a denim jacket that was built like a Schott Excelled - a denim 'Marlon Brando' jacket. I had one of those before my classic Levi jacket. Unfortunately I mutilated it trying to keep up with the fads of the time - removed the sleeves, lots of patches, and application of bleach in strategic places with a Q-tip.

It wouldn't fit me now, anyway. I was young. haha

What brand is RRL?

It's a division of Polo/Ralph Lauren. The RRL comes from the name of his CO ranch. They don't advertise this brand and it consists of a lot of repro work and western wear, selvedge jeans and such. I have a number of their western shirts and several pair of their jeans, all bought new off the bay at significant discounts. Their products can be pricey.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I had totally forgotten about GWG jeans, thanls for the blast from the past!

I thought it was time to have a thread dedicated to denim jackets – new or vintage (unless there is one and I missed it?). I will start with my recent eBay score. A NOS 1970’s era GWG Cowboy Kings Jacket. For those not

I had totally forgotten about GWG jeans,

familiar with GWG, it was a Canadian clothing company that made jeans and jackets, among other things. I used to wear GWG in the 80s. They stopped production in the early 90s. This jacket was never worn and still had the cloth inventory tag sewn on the pocket. It is very stiff denim, maybe 12 oz in weight, with a corduroy collar. Only flaw is some slight fading on one shoulder that looks like possible sun fading. These jackets are few and far between these days in my experience – especially NOS and in my size. I wish someone out there was making reproductions of GWG jeans and jackets. I have been watching eBay for about 2 years to get this and finally lucked out. Since these pictures were taken I have hand washed the jacket to get some of the 40 years of smell out of it, but the color is pretty much unchanged. So let’s see some other denim jackets!

I thought it was time to have a thread dedicated to denim jackets – new or vintage (unless there is one and I missed it?). I will start with my recent eBay score. A NOS 1970’s era GWG Cowboy Kings Jacket. For those not familiar with GWG, it was a Canadian clothing company that made jeans and jackets, among other things. I used to wear GWG in the 80s. They stopped production in the early 90s. This jacket was never worn and still had the cloth inventory tag sewn on the pocket. It is very stiff denim, maybe 12 oz in weight, with a corduroy collar. Only flaw is some slight fading on one shoulder that looks like possible sun fading. These jackets are few and far between these days in my experience – especially NOS and in my size. I wish someone out there was making reproductions of GWG jeans and jackets. I have been watching eBay for about 2 years to get this and finally lucked out. Since these pictures were taken I have hand washed the jacket to get some of the 40 years of smell out of it, but the color is pretty much unchanged. So let’s see some other denim jackets!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It's a division of Polo/Ralph Lauren. The RRL comes from the name of his CO ranch. They don't advertise this brand and it consists of a lot of repro work and western wear, selvedge jeans and such. I have a number of their western shirts and several pair of their jeans, all bought new off the bay at significant discounts. Their products can be pricey.

They're flagship store in New York has to be seen to believed. Had a good nosy around the place, lots of trying on and admiring, but the prices are heart-stopping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy