Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim Jackets - New or Vintage

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Maverick blanket lined and another 11MJ repro
image1.JPG
image2.JPG

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Which is why with all my denim - and I have lots of shirts, jackets, jeans - I got some khakis to break it up when I'm feeling Canadian ;)
It's a tough balance between looking like the creep at the mall and fashionable with lots of denim.
Exactly what I do.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Warehouse "cowboy" jacket. It's all about that pocket, which is equally eye catching and utilitarian. It happens to fit an iPhone 6s to a t, and is 100x more functional for me as a result haha.

The pictured one is a bit too small for my liking. I managed to find one in the next size up and happily took possession of it over the weekend.

5931F1AD-8A5C-40D9-B4C2-5BA39A047803.jpg

ACF1AD28-5679-476F-B064-509E7CA73915_1.jpg

Hi everyone. I have a question for the Denim's experts here on the Forum. I'm wondering if any of you know something about this jacket. Mickey Rourke wears it in "Homeboy" and from what I read it should be a old Lee Storm Rider. But I've never seen one like it. The Lee jacket's lining I've found online is different (gray/blue) and I've never seen one with leather like the movie's one. So was it a real jacket on the market or was it simply a prop for the movie? Thanks

Hi!

I don't remember, that I ever seen any vintage Denim-jackets with brown leather pockets, on the net. But today, there are sometimes fashionable Denim-jackets with black pocket-flaps or things like this.

But, I could imagine, that it could be a nice idea, to get to a tailor and let the Denim-pocket flaps change into hazelnut-brown Cord-flaps or so. Or even white flaps?

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
Hi everyone. I have a question for the Denim's experts here on the Forum. I'm wondering if any of you know something about this jacket. Mickey Rourke wears it in "Homeboy" and from what I read it should be a old Lee Storm Rider. But I've never seen one like it. The Lee jacket's lining I've found online is different (gray/blue) and I've never seen one with leather like the movie's one. So was it a real jacket on the market or was it simply a prop for the movie? Thanks
View attachment 69663

Looking at some other photos online, the buttons look to be Levis - here.

I remember denim jackets with leather pockets like this being a 'thing' in the late 80s for sure, I think I had one. But looking at some of the other photos online - the pockets look like they could have been added later/by a costume dept I say, they also look corduroy rather than leather in some of the better photos. If the pockets were custom, then I wonder if the lining was, and certainly seeing how bright and unfinsihed it looks at times, that might be my guess.

Yesterday was the first time, I saw another German with a blue sherpa-jacket! A middle-aged man with a darker blue sherpa-jacket with seemingly grey collar, unvisible brand, on the moving-stairs in a city-central shopping-center. :)

robrinay

One Too Many
View attachment 69663
In the U.K. In the 1960's there was a 'fashion' for repairing frayed denim with leather patches - you could buy a bag of off-cuts at most town markets. I'm almost ashamed to admit I created a patchwork leather jacket from my capital E Levis jacket using contact adhesive. Perhaps this is a patched up 60's jacket? The pocket patches don't look as if they were original they appear to have been crudely glued to the pocket flaps - - in close ups I can't see any stitching.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alz

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 69663

I doubt it was a costume jacket. I remember jackets like that in the 1980's. Denim jackets made to look worn, with colourful lining and leather touches were produced by a range of Asian makers, often in the style of a better known make. I had a similar one - cost $35.00 new.

Reactions: Alz

JDelage

Familiar Face
Warehouse "cowboy" jacket. It's all about that pocket, which is equally eye catching and utilitarian. It happens to fit an iPhone 6s to a t, and is 100x more functional for me as a result haha.

The pictured one is a bit too small for my liking. I managed to find one in the next size up and happily took possession of it over the weekend.

Wearing that jacket today, thank you.

Blackadder

Wish Warehouse still have the license to use Lee's label as this is a much nicer repro than the Edwin Lee repro.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
I felt nostalgic for a new denim jacket after finding this picture of myself:
QR1hnMi.jpg

So, today I went to the Macy's at the old Marshall Field's & Company building, simply because I've never been there and I wanted to treat myself as well as be able to say, as a Chicagoan, that I've shopped the Marshall Field's building and bought myself a nice new Levi's denim jacket:
sqGzgKW.jpg

niv

Familiar Face
My niece has it now, but before I outgrew it, I inherited a Levi jacket my Dad got in 1945 when the first trainload of civilian Levis were made available. Dad wore it, then my oldest brother started wearing it in 1970, and I got it in time for my senior year in high school. I gave it to my eldest niece a few years back, then her younger sister inherited it from her. It is still in good shape, wonderfully worn in, and is liable to go to a 4th generation intact. They really made a good product back then.

A few years back I found this one on eBay for £20, I don't know if it's a genuine one.
The only fault I could find is the patch, usually it's leather.
But I still like it a lot, the daicock is really discreet on this one.

060e72fb127ba0f5f4ed00cb561b03ab.jpg

5f40d6c2f3d636319544e43c46f3ea87.jpg

dc1ea15f50627098bd13dcb486988cdd.jpg

8c1f25bb71abab9ae25f1069ae62f934.jpg

Lol! I have jeans with this exact same patch! They're really heavy, like made from a very thick denim that's like a canvas or something. Great for work.

HanauMan

Practically Family
Interesting thread.

I only have two denim jackets presently, neither is new.

My first jacket, which I don't wear very often, is a L.L.Bean 1912 jacket which I bought new probably in the early 2000s. It is a lined jacket which I sometimes wear in dry cold weather. It is a tad too baggy for me, made for the more 'modern figure' I suppose, but it means that I can wear a sweater or hoody under it.

View media item 1441
My second denim jacket is an old JC Penney 'Plain Pockets' version from the late 70s or early 80s. I wear this jacket regularly when it is warm but not hot. It is a trim fit and I think still looks good on this 52 year old man!

View media item 1439
View media item 1440
Following on from some previous comments, I never wear denim on denim.

Blackadder

A few years back I found this one on eBay for £20, I don't know if it's a genuine one.
The only fault I could find is the patch, usually it's leather.
But I still like it a lot, the daicock is really discreet on this one.

060e72fb127ba0f5f4ed00cb561b03ab.jpg

5f40d6c2f3d636319544e43c46f3ea87.jpg

dc1ea15f50627098bd13dcb486988cdd.jpg

8c1f25bb71abab9ae25f1069ae62f934.jpg
You are right not to get caught up with the origin. There is Evisu Europe, then there is Evisu US and there is Evisu Korea. All are "authentic". Unfortunately none of them has anything to do with Evisu Genes Japan now other than sharing the same name. Kind of like John Lobb and John Lobb(Hermes).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24